Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Smart Image + Smart DBO Available Now!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2012 02:28 Edited at: 15th Oct 2012 22:24

Smart Image is a standard image conversion utility with the ability to import and then export images to many different formats. Supported images are Mac icons (experimental), Windows icons, Bitmaps, Windows cursors and more! The best part is that with Smart Image, you don't need to scale your image for different icon sizes as everything is handled behind the scenes and images are saved as actual size with less effort and no hassle. With this great application, creating icons, cursors and image conversions has never been as simple, effective or as easy!

Smart DBO is a conversion utility for Dark Basic and DarkGDK programmers (also works with the BlitzGDK module). Smart DBO supports importing of DBO, X, and 3DS Mesh file formats and will convert them to DBO (Dark Basic Object) format with the click of a button! There is more, Smart DBO also provides a preview window to preview your shaded, textured, or animated objects before and after converting them. You may turn and rotate the object as you wish before and after converting it. With this wonderful application, you can convert your rigged or static models for your DarkBASIC games with ease.

Products Page: http://www.captainwicker.com/macpcapps.htm

Supports image compression
Compatible with Windows 7 and 8 consumer preview.
MacOS X port in progress

DarkDISCUSSION
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2012 08:49 Edited at: 11th Jun 2012 02:39
If the price seems too high please let me know.

basjak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2012 22:59
becarefull of the price thing. my application Multicomps has sold only 6 copies in three weeks. although I got 750people ticked like on facebook icon.
from tomorrow i dropped the price from $13.99 to $3.99 far below the real value and what it can do but, it seems that people are no longer prepared for paying too much. as the market is very crowded.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2012 23:40 Edited at: 11th Jun 2012 02:19
warning, constructive criticism ahead!

looking at your post here, and the website, and i'm thinking "what's 'next generation' about either of the products?" as they look very "standard" to me. when i see "next gen", i'm going to expect as much or i'm going to discount the products entirely, and especially at those prices.

you've a handful of supported file formats between the 2, no batch processing apparent, and a single autosize feature listed without (clear) example of quality produced (along with "experimental" support for mac icons which, as it stands, is a deterrent for someone like me who reads it as "unfinished" software) along with basic conversion functionality that we're able to do ourselves with a little time.

personally, i'd combine the 2 products, add as many features as i could (including batch processing. perhaps sprite sheet generation and other relatively simple functions that programmers might find handy), provide clear examples and video "usage" demos, and drop the price to about 20% of the current sticker. then, i'd produce a non-pixelated banner, remove the empty forum (and the blog until you have something to post), replace the "Mic." abbreviation for the full Word™ as it's unprofessional**, etc, and re-launch.

**oops: re-read and realized i didn't know the "Mic.3DS" file reference. a little research provided the solution to my ignorance.

add:

you get the idea

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA . DBPro V7.5
AMD Phenom™ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit

Attachments

Login to view attachments
DarkDISCUSSION
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2012 02:38 Edited at: 11th Jun 2012 03:29
@Virtual Nomad:
I dont really like the idea of separating the two products but I should tone the price a bit. How does smartimage = $3.99 and smartdbo = $5.99
Thank you so much for this banner image

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 11th Jun 2012 03:48 Edited at: 11th Jun 2012 03:49
To be real honest,not hatefull,I dont see the point in the Smart DBO as with one simple command I can save objects out into .dbo,.x or . 3ds right from dark basic pro.

my signature keeps being erased by a mod So this is my new signature.
DarkDISCUSSION
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2012 05:49 Edited at: 11th Jun 2012 05:50
Quote: ".x or . 3ds right from dark basic pro."

Really??? How???

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 11th Jun 2012 09:22 Edited at: 11th Jun 2012 09:24
here is the function to export any object into a .x file in dark basic pro.To export a object out into a .dbo file,use save object command.

you have to have easy rotate for this one,but there are others to my friend.

.x file export function.

my signature keeps being erased by a mod So this is my new signature.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2012 23:30
Quote: "I dont really like the idea of separating the two products but I should tone the price a bit."

I think he means combine:

Quote: "personally, i'd combine the 2 products
"

DarkDISCUSSION, are there any demo or trial versions to try out? It might be a better idea if you continued to add more features instead of just dropping the price; first. If it had enough features, you would have customers already, what ever the cost.

I would pay hundreds for a piece of software if it did what other software cannot do; but this is not the case with yours at the moment. If you keep on working at it, adding more benefits over the next 3 or 4 months I am sure you will make some money.

DarkDISCUSSION
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2012 00:27 Edited at: 15th Oct 2012 23:15
Quote: " are there any demo or trial versions to try out?"

I suppose I could create a non-commercial version if that is what you mean?
Quote: "I would pay hundreds for a piece of software if it did what other software cannot do"

I don't want to rob people. I wouldn't ever charge 'hundreds' for any of my software unless it took hundreds of dollars to make it.
Quote: "If you keep on working at it, adding more benefits over the next 3 or 4 months"

Thank you my peers for the creative/constructive criticism. I will continue to work with SmartImage until I get it absolutely the way it should be. I am finished with SmartDBO though for a while and it will most likely remain the same.

Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 26th Jun 2012 20:15 Edited at: 26th Jun 2012 20:20
You might want to consider making your software compatible with Windows 7 64 bit.

Also you might want to take a look at this post since it concerns .DBO objects.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=163815&b=15

[img][/img]

WindowsXP SP3,Vista,Windows 7 SP1, DBpro v7.7RC7
Stab In The Dark Editor
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
DarkDISCUSSION
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2012 06:00 Edited at: 25th Sep 2012 07:39
Quote: "You might want to consider making your software compatible with Windows 7 64 bit."

if bbb gui worked properly for me on win7 x64 i would.

EDIT: Now updated with experimental compatibility for Windows 7/8. If you have a problem running the software, please comment with an error description.

DarkDISCUSSION
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2012 22:24 Edited at: 15th Oct 2012 23:15
If anyone wants to try the apps, they are both freeware.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 17:17:21
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 17:17:21