Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK Build Streamlining

Author
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2012 23:54 Edited at: 10th Jun 2012 23:55
Hi Guys,

I have been going through the issues board and I wanted to bounce an idea off you to help streamline builds. I received this bug report:

A very good point, but re-building the templates and testing them takes time. They are almost secondary in my mind due to the fact the interpreter_x projects are far more useful as a starting point for a new project as it is guaranteed to be up to date.

My idea is to remove the 'templates' folder altogether, and instead provide a simple guide on how to take the AppGameKit Player (interpreter_x) projects and strip them down to become the templates. This way we have less distributable files to go out of sync, and we have more time testing fewer files which means more stability.

I wanted to bounce this idea first to ensure there are no strong opinions and reasons for keeping the templates (9 and counting). Since using AppGameKit for side projects, I have never once started with a template and prefer to take the AppGameKit Player and strip down the interpreter.cpp. I do this simply because I know for a fact this project gets a tonne of testing done on it with every build.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
Marl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2012 00:24
Quote: "...prefer to take the AppGameKit Player and strip down the interpreter.cpp."

(for android)
Always used the player as a base. It was the way in the guide, so the way I'm familiar with. Don't think I've even opened the templates folder

And Waaay too nervous to mess with interpreter.cpp, beyond un-commenting the odd line

Probably why my projects end up so fat
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Depends how much work it would involve to strip and completely clean an interpreter Xcode project.

if it involves 10 steps or less it's no big deal. You do this once and save it out as an empty template.

if the guide to clean up the interpreter project would look similar to the guide for setting up android development, then we're in for a whirlwind ride!!!

And what about XCODE 3 users?

ONE IMPORTANT QUESTION: Will every AppGameKit update involve having to set up a new Xcode project? I have kept my Xcode project setting files from the first version of AppGameKit, even though I have updated up to 1074!!!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2012 01:26
I commented on the google report.

In general, I am happy with the idea. As long as enough information is provided and something either like the actual template.cpp and template.h files or what should be in them.

bjadams, I think Apple prefers if you use the most recent Xcode. At a minimum, whatever version you use needs to be compatible with current devices. I had a minor freak out when my iPod Touch updated its core and it would not talk to my Xcode until it had been updated.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Neslib
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2012 02:48
What I have done with AppGameKit for Pascal is to take out the template code and make it part of the core engine, so there isn't any duplicate code to maintain at all. There is a separate source file for each platform (Windows, Mac and iOS for now) with all the platform specific code taken from the templates. The templates in AppGameKit for Pascal are just project files that can serve as is starting point. There is almost no code in the templates.

This has the advantage that all projects always use the same platform code, and that updates to the platform code are automatically incorporated.

The disadvantage is that you lose some flexibility in that you (as AppGameKit user) should avoid making changes to the platform engine code.

Maybe a way around this is to put the core platform code in a small set of base classes (one for each platform). Then, if you need to extend the core functionality, you can derive your own engine from these base classes. Of course, this would only work with C++ and not with C.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I am happy with Snow Leopard and Xcode3.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2012 13:26
Putting the template.cpp in the interpreter_x projects is quite a nice idea Does everyone agree, if so, I can make it happen as soon as build 1077 and improve everyone's lives.

Lead Developer of Dark Basic Pro, FPS Creator and AppGameKit (App Game Kit)
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2012 14:47
I can tell you that it works beautifully in AppGameKit for Pascal implementation. The fewer steps the better!

-- Jim
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2012 20:56
As long as an appropriate template.h file is included, I am quite happy with the idea.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2012 21:48
Anything that makes anything easier = GO!

----------------
AGK user - novice
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's, just started programming again with AGK.
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2012 00:39
Sounds good to me!

XanthorXIII
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmmm, not so sure about this. The problem that I run into is that Orac provided a nice Template Wizard for VS2010 that I would really like to continue using it. I believe that it relies on the Template Folders. I haven't seen him on the boards in a long time and I'm not quite sure of the process of building a Wizard myself.
I currently use VC++ 2010 Express btw.....
So if we can get something figured out with the new structure fine but I would like to see something with a Wizard.
victordavion
Years of Service
User Offline
As long as there is out-of-the-box documentation to get a project going, then I'm game for anything, because I am extremely forgetful and unless I have a reference, I can guarantee I'll forget how to do it.

I'd like to learn how to strip the interpreter, but it sounds like Neslibs idea is superior in efficiency so I'll vote toward that.

I do like the idea of getting rid of the templates folder.
victordavion
Years of Service
User Offline
So until this officially happens I'm kind of confused on what I should do in the meantime.

How does everyone else start a new project for Tier 2?
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2012 02:17
Quote: "How does everyone else start a new project for Tier 2?"

This thread, two of the 4 videos demonstrate how to set up T2 templates. Once they compile and run, I make a copy and go from there.

victordavion
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, unfortunately that is what this thread is all about.

The templates folder is completely outdated, so I can't really use that successfully.

I was asking more along the lines of "does anyone know how to strip the interpreter down to a template so I can make a v1076 project?"
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2012 02:38
Quote: "I was asking more along the lines of "does anyone know how to strip the interpreter down to a template so I can make a v1076 project?""

For which OS?

victordavion
Years of Service
User Offline
Android
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2012 03:01
The one operating system I can't do it for.

Well, we'll probably have to wait for the TGC team.

erebusman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2012 03:36
I just started teaching myself C++ and I can say the template's with 1076 did not work out of the box and it caused me a week++ of grief, so I will have to trust other people's judgement if this will improve the situation, then I'm okay with it.

Of course it does need to be well documented (as most things are..)
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2012 04:10 Edited at: 19th Jul 2012 09:14
I've just managed to strip the interpreter_ios project for tier 2 development but I'm not sure how bug-free my stripping is. I'll play around with it a little more.

Edit- I should be clear that I got it compiling and running.

Edit2 - Managed to strip the (plain) interpreter on windows as well after some fiddling. If TGC decide to take this route, I'll have a go at making some video tuts.

Proteus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2012 03:27 Edited at: 1st Aug 2012 08:11
I've arrived at the AppGameKit scene quite recently (bought a license for my company after v1076) and begun working my way to a fully functional Tier-2 compiling environment for android...

I'm an experienced developer and to my surprise I wasn't able to get the basic "hello world" template to run correctly on my devices (after following the guide on the documentation and on this thread it compiles, and generates the .apk but the most basic app fails with a SIGNAL11 segfault)... it took me several hours to finally realize (finding this thread) that the templates might be to blame (and not myself)...

My main complaint here is the fact that the DOCUMENTATION guides and this page led me to believe that these templates were suposed to work! if they don't , then please add a big flashy DEPRECATED sign somewhere... otherwise new developers (specially those on a schedule) are going to waste a lot of time trying to get their bearings based on misinformation...And that's not good for AGK

So whats the official word on getting a v1076 Tier-2 android dev-environment?

Update August 1st 2012: See This Post for another failed attempt to get a v1076 "hello world" template (same result as mine, segfaults)

Diego "Proteus" Spinola
Electrical Engineer @ Hackeneering.com
Computer and Digital Systems Engineering
FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2012 18:49
I agree 100% Proteus..outdated documentation is fine for something open source or free, but is not acceptable for a paid product.
Reading the forums should not be required to get the product to function for you. It's the little things that make a good thing a very bad thing!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
When you consider that it will take less than 1 hour for someone from TGC with inside knowledge of AppGameKit to fix the android and ios t2 templates, you start wondering why we are left in the cold.

As Proteus said, there are people who want to use AppGameKit who have deadlines and made commitments with artists and their team to make an app.
Proteus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2012 09:02
Since TGC answered our call , I'm doing my part and updating the relevant threads with the link to the solution:

Paul Johnston solved our problems @
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=199188&b=46&msg=2381156#m2381156

Diego "Proteus" Spinola
Electrical Engineer @ Hackeneering.com
Computer and Digital Systems Engineering
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Android AppGameKit 1076 T2 template now works perfectly with NDK r7 and the NDKbuilder method. Don't bother testing on the emulator it does not work. Test on a real device.

Thanks a lot TGC for listening to our cries

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 12:06:09
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 12:06:09