Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / GDK's(1.0) program doesn't start on some computers!!! Even without any data loaded!!!

Author
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2012 11:48 Edited at: 18th Jun 2012 23:28
GDK's(1.0) programs doesn't start on some computers!!! Even without any data loaded!!!

I've just started program but nothing happens... Window is not showing...

d3dx9_35.dll is near to exe

Please Help!
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2012 17:55
It's likely that you will need to install the Direct X 9 re distributable package. Installing this will not affect any other Direct X versions installed on the machine.

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Warning! May contain Nuts!
Alex_Peres
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2012 23:27 Edited at: 18th Jun 2012 23:29
Thank you WLGfx, but it's NOT WORKING!!!
And even if it could be working - IT'S NOT THE WAY OUT FOR THE MILLIONS OF PLAYERS!!!
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2012 00:34
Quote: "IT'S NOT THE WAY OUT FOR THE MILLIONS OF PLAYERS!"

Yes it is. Almost every single Steam game installs the redistributable package required by the game, why should a DarkGDK game be any different?

You're going to have to give us more information if you want us to solve your issue. The specific crash message, operating systems that the game has been tested on, and any other information you can give us,

Alex_Peres
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2012 11:55
Hi Dar13!

I'm doing an casual game, so for the casual users it's absolutly not the way out to install something else except the game!

As I said, that was no any messages! Any window (include main) wasn't open!

On this PC I've had successfully running GDK-games when it had WindowsXP! After installing Windows7 GDK-empty programs couldn't be started!
PC configuration is: Windows7 - Home Premium
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2012 14:17 Edited at: 19th Jun 2012 14:18
If you have all these:

1. Installed and 'run' Visual Studio once before the next two steps
2. Installed DirectX SDK
3. Installed GDK

Then the basic template for a GDK app should run just fine. Even on another machine, providing the DX9 redist has been installed.

If your code has any other resources, ie static libs then make sure they are being linked correctly.

Other than that, if it compiles and creates the exe without any errors then it should run without any problems. If your program relies on external dll then they need to also be distributed too.

Your drivers and others shouldn't really be any issue here but the DX9 redist package will be needed. There are 2 versions of the DX9 redist, the full install or the minimum web install. The minimum web install saves on space when distributing your game.

EDIT: Just to run your program on another machine you do not need the SDK, just the redist...

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Alex_Peres
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2012 14:48
Ok guys! When I've run the "Image showcase.exe" (from the example folder of GDK) I've got these 4 messages:
1. failed to get device caps
2. failed to find valid stencil buffer
3. unable to create device
4. unable to setup 3d device

What does they mean?
Alex_Peres
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2012 16:35
Guys, I've found the problem - this PC doesn't have installed graphics card driver!!!
So, is there any way to solve this without driver installing?
FlexiCat
Years of Service
User Offline
Why would you want to not install the graphics card drivers? That's like complaining your car doesn't work because it doesn't have an engine and you where told somewhere it should be fine without one.

I swear to the programmers bible that I shall not harm the FPS.
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2012 18:58
Quote: "Your drivers and others shouldn't really be any issue here but the DX9 redist package will be needed."

LOL...

Mr Bigglesworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2012 20:19 Edited at: 19th Jun 2012 20:19
Quote: "Guys, I've found the problem - this PC doesn't have installed graphics card driver!!!
So, is there any way to solve this without driver installing? "

No, you need a driver for DarkGDK, it uses DirectX, which access's features on the graphics card, which it has a hard time doing if it is using generic drivers.
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2012 00:18
Quote: "I'm doing an casual game, so for the casual users it's absolutly not the way out to install something else except the game!"

Well, you're out of luck. If there aren't any graphics drivers(or a graphics card able to run DirectX9.0c) then DarkGDK WILL NOT RUN UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. The DX9 redistributable package is also a required prerequisite for any and all DarkGDK game.

Checklist for DarkGDK games:
Graphics card capable of playing DirectX 9.0c games
Current graphics card drivers from the graphics card manufacturer
DirectX 9.0c redistributable package

Mr Bigglesworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Checklist for DarkGDK games:
Graphics card capable of playing DirectX 9.0c games
Current graphics card drivers from the graphics card manufacturer
DirectX 9.0c redistributable package"

It is the same for any casual game made with DirectX, the easiest way to do it is to bundle the DX9 redist with your game installer.
Alex_Peres
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2012 12:19
Thank you guys!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 12:52:32
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 12:52:32