Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / [Dark Dynamix] Vehicle Demo with source

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2012 18:49
Attached the Advanced vehicle example which comes with Dark Dynamix as of v1.1.

Source code is also provided.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
L3mmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2012 21:52
Cheers fella...will have a play with this tonight after the footy

www.monsterwareltd.co.uk <--Visit today

Software, Games, Themes, Hosting, Wallpapers and more to come!
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2012 23:46
Cool Matty. Finally got a chance to have a look at this (just the binary). It feels a lot Carmageddon/Battlefield style vehicle physics. It's hard to get an idea of how much sliding, under-steer and/or over-steer is going on, but I'm sure it's all tweakable.

I'll definitely use this as a reference when I get round to playing with vehicles.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2012 23:57
Not sure if you can experience under-steer or not but if you turn full lock and accelerate you can lose the back wheels.

I never really aimed for any particular type of handling, you would be forever trying to get any specific feel without writing a small program of some sort to allow you to adjust variables on the fly. Every variable change can affect other things so compiling each time you change something is tedious

Quote: "I'll definitely use this as a reference when I get round to playing with vehicles."

Have you got any plans to make a racing game? If so, we should talk as I am planning a racing game myself.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2012 00:33
Possibly in the future, but once Carnage is finished I may be working on an FPS style project with vehicles in. Not sure yet!

A racing game would be pretty awesome though. It'll be cool to see what you come up with. The only reason why I've never tried one is because of the difficulty with physics, so if dynamiX is rammed full of vehicle physics mechanics then the idea will be very tempting.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2012 00:43
Yeah, if I go ahead with it then I may develop some tools to help with vehicles. Pooling resources with anyone else developing a racing game with GDK could make sense if you are ever interested. I'm more scared of the ai, never really done much ai programming

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2012 17:50
Vehicle AI is quite a scary thing. With all the AI I've done before, it's a case of breaking it down to simple tasks (move forward, find enemy, run to cover, target location, navigate to point etc), but with vehicle AI, you have to somehow capture the precision of driving fast.

My initial thoughts are you'd define a perfect route around the circuit (basically the racing line) with loads of nodes. You'd then define the target speed for each of those nodes, so the AI knows when he should be accelerating or braking. I think the basics of that would get an easily controllable car around an empty circuits (after lots of tweaking). But dealing with overtaking, unpredictable physics handling, recovering from skidding, sliding, being hit, adapting to different car setups or damage etc. would be tricky! It'd be a fun challenge though!

If I was to make a racing game at some point, I'd probably favour something completely different, with some unique gameplay elements to it. I see no point in working on a realistic racer, because there are other games out there that would eclipse it. My initial thoughts would be a Mad Max style post-apocalyptic racer, with knackered old rusted cars, where side swiping and ramming opponents is encouraged.

In that kind of game, the key things would be:
- Good physics. Nail the setup so controllable power slides are possible etc.
- A really detailed damage model. So the core sub frame can be bent, all external panels can be bent and come off, and all surfaces have dynamic textures that can be painted with dirt/damage decals.
- Really varied and convincing AI behaviours. All the way from the fastest, most fair playing AI, to the lunatics who actually turn around and come back to the other way, because they just want to kill you.

Gahhh. Look, I'm going into imagination overdrive. What sort of racing game are you interested in?

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2012 18:55
I want to make something that sits between this:

and this:

One thing nitro stunt racer does not have is the ability to create your own tracks, this kind of option would be perfect for a game like stunt car racer.

There are other projects around doing similar things but I may go ahead anyway

Good tips for the ai, I think some games don't subject the ai to the same physics as the user, other games use rubber banding meaning the ai slows down if they are out front and speed up if they are behind, don't like that idea

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2012 19:44
Same here. If I'm rubbish, I want the AI to thrash me. I want them to drive as hard as they can for the skill level chosen. Rubbing banding is lame (Mario Kart!).

Those game ideas are quite cool. I remember Stunt Car Racer on the C64. I remember being far to crap to play it properly, but being in awe of it and finding it really scary when up high. I much prefer that approach, with the falling to your doom and blowing up rather than the other vid you showed, where you can just full power all the time and hit a barrier. I don't like arcadeyness.

It'd be cool to see you working on a game, if you can drag yourself away from plugins.

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It'd be cool to see you working on a game, if you can drag yourself away from plugins."

I rather see it the other way round. Sorry Matty, we need you here.

Intel Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, Windows Vista Ultimate SP2, PureBasic 4.61 + DarkGDK 2.0
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2012 11:11
Agreed. I was thinking from a selfless perspective. The selfish part of me wants 10 more DynamiX updates and 26 new plugins.

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The selfish part of me wants 10 more DynamiX updates and 26 new plugins."

Atta boy! So what's next?

*cough*
*cough*

Intel Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, Windows Vista Ultimate SP2, PureBasic 4.61 + DarkGDK 2.0
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2012 19:55
Quote: "I much prefer that approach, with the falling to your doom and blowing up rather than the other vid you showed, where you can just full power all the time and hit a barrier. I don't like arcadeyness."

I'm glad you said that, too many games these days hold your hand and guide you through to the end of the game, losing the challenge aspect. When the vehicle is in the air you should be afraid, not guided back down to the correct spot like I have experienced in recent games.

As for plug-ins, I think I am all plug-in'ed out, I am so jealous of you guys making games right now.

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "As for plug-ins, I think I am all plug-in'ed out, I am so jealous of you guys making games right now."

We wouldn't be there without you stuff mate, understand that.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2012 10:59
If you want to get something finished and make a few quid doing it, make plug-ins. If you want to never finish anything mate, make games.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 19:40:28
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 19:40:28