Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Android / Freezing on HTC One X

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2012 17:52
I have just submitted my app for review at AndroidTapp.com and I received this reply:

I've been having some issues with Splatword. The app starts up and plays for a while, in fact is a great game, but then it freezes up completely. This would perhaps still be OK if it only happened occasionally, but I've played the game 5 times and it occurred every time.

The phone in question was a HTC One X. Luckily a friend of mine has the same phone and indeed my app does appear to freeze. However, turning on the CPU monitoring seems to show my app is not freezing it's being unloaded.

I know there's a firmware update for the phone to fix some 2D GPU acceleration issues. But my friend has not received them from his mobile carrier yet. I tried compiling using version 7 and 1065 of the AppGameKit but the issue remained. :-(

I don't own a HTC One but every other device I've used works fine with AGK. Is this likely to be an HTC firmware issue or an AppGameKit issue?

Anyone know what else I can try to fix it AndroidTapp.com have given me a few days to address the issue?

Thanks
--
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2012 18:54
Quote: "I tried compiling using version 7 and 1065 of the AGK"

Have you tried AppGameKit v1076? 'Version 7' is a bit unclear.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
chrisnob
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2012 19:15
Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't have v1076 installed, I stayed with a stable version to get the release out. So it's probably v1075 or v1074 is it possible to tell? I had a look on the AppGameKit about box and in the programs section of the control panel but could not find the version number. I even checked the properties of the agk.exe file.

Do you think using v1076 is likely to fix it? It's a shame I don't own a HTC One so I could use logcat to see what's really going on.

I did wonder if it's related to Ice Cream Sandwich. I don't have any ICS devices yet. Anybody else tried ICS?
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2012 21:45
In theory, the AGK.txt file in AppGameKit directory might have information about the version you are using.

If you are using 1065, it might be the issue. There are a lot of updates and fixes since then.

As a possible cause for failure, are you certain that all the media referenced in the game exists in the assets directory and that the cases for the file names are exactly the same as those used in the game?

Keep in mind, if you upgrade to 1076, that you must add a media directory under the assets directory and that all your media (except for AGKSplash.png, if you use one) go into the media directory.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
chrisnob
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2012 22:04
My AGK.txt only mentions v107 so I'm not sure what's installed from that. My v7 Android build needs the media folder under the assets folder so it may well be 1076. It's my own fault I should have paid more attention when I installed it.

I appreciate the advice on the media assets and the case sensitivity of the file names. I have tested the app to death on several Android phones and a few tablets. So I'm pretty sure it's not an issue with any of the assets. The more I think about it the more I think it's an issue with the HTC One X.

Android Tapp have been really good and are now testing on an HTC Desire HD so hopefully that will work just fine. I did a soak test on an HTC ChaCha and my app ran without issue for hours.

Thanks for the advice.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2012 22:46
If it works fine on lots of other Androids, then it is would seem that it is device specific and there is probably nothing you can do about it.

The tricky part is figuring out exactly where, when and why the one device dies without disappearing (so looks like hang).

If the AGK/AGK.txt file says '06/06/12 - Build 1076' on the fourth line, then you are definitely using 1076.

When you change AppGameKit versions, it is very important to update and rebuild all the directories in your Android setup.
These are commands I execute every time I update/change my AppGameKit version. I have my Windows AppGameKit installed in C:\TGC\AGK (I never use the Program Files directories if given the choice, I hate spaces in paths/file names). And I used simply 'android-ndk' for the Android NDK path (I used the most recent version).

To update the core AppGameKit stuff:

To update my own projects after updating core AppGameKit (this is important to make sure that your project uses any new stuff):

After doing the above to make sure the permissions are correct and that Eclipse will be able to run the app on the Android device:

Now, just so you have a working player, build the player:

Edit /cygdrive/c/Android/IDE/apps/interpreter/interpreter.cpp to uncomment the correct line so that your app will run instead of the player. In v1075 and v1076 it is at line #255:

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
chrisnob
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2012 23:36
Your setup and scripts look spot on. I will be using those from now on.

Thanks for all the help.
--
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2012 16:35
Always glad to help.

Happy Programming!

Cheers,
Ancient Lady

Login to post a reply