Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Differences between these plugins?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2012 20:15
I was curious about 2 plugins that seem a bit similar. I found Dark Resource yesterday, and I now own eXtends which seems like it would do the same thing. Are these 2 plugins different? Do they compliment each other?

Big Dog Game Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2012 00:27
No one know the actual difference between these?

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2012 13:27
I don't know about Dark Resource but eXtends does something with rotations and stuff... Sowwy I couldn't help, I just haven't a clue as I've not used either.

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Warning! May contain Nuts!
Big Dog Game Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2012 17:26
@WLGfx I at least appreciate the response. While Dark Resource is free, I paid for eXtends and do not want to install anything that may conflict with it. That is the main reason behind this post

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2012 21:28
Um, I don't know these plugins but if they are just dll files they won't conflict so long as you don't place them in the [dbpr]\compiler\[etc] folder. You can place them in a central folder in "projects" and load them manually with LOAD DLL. Then just call each function with CALL DLL. So even if the stringtables in both have the same names for some functions, there will be no conflict. Maybe just copy the "Dark Resources" dll into [etc]\projects\[central resource folder]. Just a thought, if the Dark Resources thing is only a dll. Dunno if that helps.

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2012 01:54
The only way you'll know if a plugin does conflict with another is during DBP's compile stage. It will throw an error during compile saying that there's a duplicate command name. If that ever happens, just remove the last plugin from the folder and try again. I'm always careful when I code for a plugin and come up with command names for the functions I'm working on.

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Big Dog Game Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2012 11:08
Thanks for the input! I think for the moment I will stay with eXtends, mainly because it is a straight up plugin for the program.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2012 13:11
Quote: "I'm always careful when I code for a plugin and come up with command names for the functions I'm working on.
"

Yeah, me too. I always use "rp" (as in Round Phoenix) as a prefix to my functions.
Come to think of it, what if someone called Roger Poole (or something with the initials "rp") made a function library too? Oops...

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2012 13:52
@nonZero - I thought my name was unique until I did a search on facebook and found there's tons of me's around the world... I usually start off with 'WL_'

@Big Dog - You'll probably find that you get more comfortable with on set of functions from one plugin more than you do with another. It's handy having everything at your disposal as later on you can remove what's not used.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 24th Jun 2012 10:17
WLGfx... eXtends is a function addon while EZ-Rotate is for rotation

To the OP...

Yeah I was confused about that too but the syntax is different... So no conflict there...

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2012 13:38
@WLGfx: Solution (?)

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2012 16:20
@nonZero - ha ha... That would solve the clashes...

I think of it this way, if while I'm testing out my plugin functions in DBP and nothing clashes then it's a go.

I deffo don't think anybody using DBP would like a function like:

result = MY_NON_OBSCURE_CLASHING_FUNCTION_ADD_TWO_NUMBERS( num1, num2 )

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 10:12:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 10:12:57