Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2012 01:02
I have started the coding of a "physics" platform game.
The story is very simple: a funny 8-bit wearing-glasses character, inspired by Pitfall or Indiana Jones (but different because Intellectual Properties blah blah) , called Mr. Otto Beat, is exploring a dark world inside an old cave. The goal is to make his way up the floors that make this world, by climbing ladders, jumping onto ropes, using moving platforms, avoiding a lot of enemies (barbarians, jumping skulls, archers, fireballs, vortices, kill birds and others that I am inventing along the coding.
Each world may have one or more floors, and if the hero succeeds in going beyond the top floor, there is a boss to fight using the weapons found during the journey.
Of course his goal to collect as many treasure as he can, and to collect weapons, energy and powers too.
To be short, here are some basic features:
- XML-based format to describe the world characteristics with all enemies, number of floors, motion and speed, etc
- XML-based format to describe boss limbs, attack strategy, vulnerabilities, etc.
- Simple limb management system to render animation of composite sprites, in this case the boss. Each limb can be moved, rotated, animated independently of the others.
- physics based management of hero motion, with ropes rendered using revolute joints.
The simple graphics has been drawn by myself, and the complex one has been taken from www.reinerstilesets.de. (free assets).
Sounds will be taken from www.pacdv.com (free sounds). Simply put the URL in the credits.
Here some screenshots. They lack some enemies, anyway I am at the very beginning, since I think to release it after summer.

Mr. Otto Beat hanging on a rope...

Mr. Eggy, the boss, you can meet him at any breakfast

The title, elementary by animated
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2012 01:09
I forgot to say that on the top left corner, there is a mini-map, partly pre-rendered with fixed assets (walls, ladders, etc), and partly rendered at run-time for moving enemy and assets, using block-shaped tiny sprites
I realized that if I render all scene offline and scaled with drawSprite and setviewzoom, then I get everything wit getimage, 1) FPS falls down to an embarrassing value (too slow) and 2) some sprites are rendered erratically.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2012 11:56
Could you upload a youtube video so its easier to give input

You have a very special art style in your games

I know you wrote that your wife that is an artist helps you with it?
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2012 12:29
I'll do it asap, I could share some code too, for example the XML parser, that may be useful in general.
BTW, my wife has nothing to do with the graphics in the game. I asked her help for some screenshot. I know that I am a very poor graphic designer, so do not blame my wife for my "disasters"
May be in the future Mr Otto Beat shall become the new "SuperMario"? Mr. Eggy is funny too. I am waiting for Nintendo knocking at my door, asking to buy the rights for my characters to be used in the new Wii console.
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2012 21:41
here is the youtube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqFcpbMO-9Q

And now...go ITALY go!!!!
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2012 13:42
Marco, you really have to work on your graphics. It seems that you can code nicely, but your graphics are very low standard.

Improving them would make your sales boost.

Good luck.

Follow me on twitter! @MotionStruct
Motion Struct blog
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2012 20:29
I liked the throwing star idea for the boss fight
Could be cool on an mobile device.

More then that so is it mostly the stiff animations and the art
Looks like an good start marco

Quote: "And now...go ITALY go!!!! "

Congrats to italy
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2012 21:22
I have understood that you do not like my graphics...
I'll try to find better -free- graphics, I am not an artist, and my wife has not got much time to help me with my "silly" hobby (as she, being a lawyer as primary job, thinks of my programming hobby). Of course I do not think at all that her hobby (painting, patchwork and other material art) is silly but currently I earned more with my hobby than she earned with hers
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2012 21:34
Seriously, how could I implement a motion control (left, right, up/down the ladder) on a little screen of a smartphone WITHOUT using the virtual joystick.
As you can see from demo, jumping is implemented by touching the hero, while launching the star is done "dragging" the weapon towards the target.
In my opinion, virtual joystick is good only for tablet or big screens (maybe attaching a real joystick, they exist!), but on little screen is a mess.
For example, I downloaded iDork2 Lite, but on my Galaxy Gio is not playable because it is very difficult to make the hero move by touching the virtual joystick.
Any idea?
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2012 22:24
Why dont you use move buttons?

Think of the old 8 bit nintendo pad.

Or simply for the movement left and right use a rectangular point on the sides of the screen.

The do you only nead to check if the user touches these points on the screen .

Gyro controls for a platformer is a bad idea.
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2012 23:01
in other games (App-In-Ball and The Black Hole) I used move buttons, but generally they use more screen space than virtual joystick...but the latter is not usable. The Nintendo-like keypad is interesting, but space is very narrow...I think that little boxes placed at the screen sides is the best idea...thanks a lot, I'll try and I'll let you know.
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2012 19:19
New video.
http://youtu.be/G_MUUwM_uTY

Added some elements: waterfalls,spiders, falling barrels.
I used particles to simulate the water hitting the ground and producing the foam, that smoothly disappears. I attached the image used to render the particles. I remember that someone in the forum asked about something similar, for sure he would have found an equivalent or better solution.

In my opinion the movement of spiders is interesting. I did not use physics, but simply I manipulate angles and sizes of the sprites, with simply trigonometry.
Alternatively I could implement the spider and the web using joints and physics, making the spider oscillates on the web, as happens with the ropes. But the result seems good.
There are also the barrels (using dynamic bodies) falling dows, of course there is not Donkey Kong upstairs

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2012 19:22
Yup, your spiders look good and I really do like the foam affect.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2012 19:36
Thanks a lot for the nice words! But we know that game programming is a long and winding road to get a 1.0 version.
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2012 00:46
I have added added the Internet scoring system, a simple evolution of the solution used for Kill That Bandit. Now you can input your name (max 16 chars). As usual some bugs on Android for EditBox and InputText, I have got to use the Swype keyboard, Samsung does not work. Orientation problems as usual, waiting for a post 1.076 AppGameKit with less bugs, but it seems hopeless.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlMlQ9XCGt4&feature=youtu.be
I reused much code from Kill The Bandit (presentation of record table using setviewzoom) and Internet connection management.
JSON file used is the following:

It could be useful the following code to encode the special chars in the URL, e.g. $%?=+ etc, before sending them to the servers with the following line:

Here is the encodeURL function:

The only char that is not encoded, but emptied, is ", because it goes into conflict with the same char used as a delimiter for the array values in JSON format.
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2012 00:35
New look&feel, new graphics, pickup objects and others.
I would like to to release a preview before august, but I have to create at least 10 levels and other 2 bosses , and this is a long process.
http://youtu.be/R6F0NVf7PkQ
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2012 01:09
About 3 months, and I begin seeing the light at the end of tunnel.
I am creating levels and optimizing the game. For example I added "contextual help", improved "Tarzan" skills on the ropes, improved motion of characters onto non-horizontal platforms.
The interesting part of the game is that is only physics-based, no maps, so I can create level by simply adding elements to the XML file.
Writing a level editor has got at least two big cons:
- one, it is an hard work. I prefer to go straight to games, instead of spending a lot of time on tools.
- two, after you have drawn a esthetically beautiful level, you realize at test time, that is not playable.
So my approach is: I edit the XML file keeping the game running at the level I am working on. When I add a new element, I press ESC and the program reload on-the-fly the new XML file and re-draw the level.
So I can immediately test if it works or not.
I start from the bottom, creating the first elements, and then I go up adding moving and fixed stuffs.
Take a look at this video.
[href] http://youtu.be/Q9LpiPS8G8I[/href]
This approached worked for App-In-Ball, because to draw a new flipper table is similar to creating a level for Mr Otto.
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2012 00:54
I have tested the game on Windows, it is acceptable (of course there some little issues related to making a platform game using Box2D physics), and I am going now to test the game on my tiny Android Samsung device, until some Apple guy shall take my device away because it is banned for patent infringement, being an additional reason for me not to buy any Apple gadget, even if Mac PCs and laptops (it is not a mistake) are "objectively" beautiful.
Now there are 10 levels, 4 bosses (each 2-3 levels).
There is vertical scrolling (upward), and each level may be "tall" 1,2 or 3 screen heights.
After my tests will be completed, I'll publish the game (not for free) on Play Market (it cost me a lot of work, I am again trial versions, people play the trial, and do not download the paid version).
Anyway if there is a minimum of interest in the game, and more than 1-2 people buy the game, I'll devote some time to add new levels, enemies, boss, etc. Please do not remind me advertisement (inner-active), it is a complete loss of time, at present I have accumulated 1.8$.
At the moment I disabled the (working) feature about downloading levels from the Internet because 1) It takes a lot of time to create levels, and 2) because I want to improve the feature.
High score are managed through a web site and php script.
Enjoys some screenshots and...good night.

http://agkappmarket.altervista.org/mrottobeat/MrOttoBeatMarket1.png

http://agkappmarket.altervista.org/mrottobeat/MrOttoBeatMarket2.png

http://agkappmarket.altervista.org/mrottobeat/MrOttoBeatMarket3.png

http://agkappmarket.altervista.org/mrottobeat/MrOttoBeatMarket4.png
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2012 01:20 Edited at: 30th Aug 2012 01:21
Ciao amico

My girlfriend knows italian
We also got a new friend from italy that works in sweden so i have learned a feew italian words to

Do you have any vids of the game in action?

Android 2.3 Gingerbread , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz cpu , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz cpu
Android 4.0 Sandwich , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , cortex A8 1.2 cpu , 1 gb ram.
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2012 14:38
This is the latest video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6F0NVf7PkQ

I hope to publish an updated video soon.
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2012 14:50
I think that there are lot of Italians abroad working or in search of tech job, considering that jobs offered here are mostly call-center operators. Every business here is going to close or downsize, apart businesses ran by chinese people.
Does your girl-friend know something about Italian cooking? In that case, you are really lucky.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2012 20:20
Quote: "Does your girl-friend know something about Italian cooking? In that case, you are really lucky. "

She is a bad cook and iam the better one
Quote: "I hope to publish an updated video soon. "

Ok i can wait.

Android 2.3 Gingerbread , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz cpu , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz cpu
Android 4.0 Sandwich , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , cortex A8 1.2 cpu , 1 gb ram.
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2012 01:09
It took some time to publish Mr Otto Beat on Google Play.
Tomorrow I should see it on the market.
Next step shall be to produce a better video for Cliff and for the potential customers. Then I'll install the Windows version on my sons' netbooks, they are my official testers...I am their official supplier of Wii and DS stuff, so they have to test their daddy's games
If I will get a minimum of success, I'll add new features and levels otherwise...it will remain as is.
I have forgotten to say that I'll add the game in the AppGameKit gallery.
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2012 14:35
3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2012 18:28 Edited at: 31st Aug 2012 18:43
Actually some of the graphics are not that bad. The first end guy for example looks big and uses nice ovals to create the chicken. If you apply this concept to all your graphics then you will have a nice game. I also found that no one like terrains that look like the square. You don't need the whole sprite to create the terrain. I like that you used xml in your editor. I do the same with my editors, but currently I am making a sprite engine. Its is longest code I written. I not much of an artiest, but if I take my time I can create pretty good art.

Like your first end boss create stuff like that it will have a better look. I also like the rope physics that is just a-lot of sprites that use reevaluate joint function.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2012 19:12
thanks a lot for you nice words. What do you means "I also found that no one like terrains that look like the square. You don't need the whole sprite to create the terrain". Are you referring to the ground blocks, to the magma lake or waterfall? Are they too squared?
3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2012 19:26 Edited at: 31st Aug 2012 19:30
they Are Square like objects. The best thing you can do is use Gimp or Paint. Make a square block 64 by 64 empty the middle of the terrain with erase. Know you have 4 different blocks 32 by 32 that are of different shapes and sizes that can be used for the terrain. Your character maybe make him a little bigger and have his face more oval like and bigger. I not very good with character creation but I would make the game where you just fight monster after monster like your first monster. Maybe add ropes where each monster is and skip the levels. Like your first end boss make it so that this is first part of the game. Then use ropes where bosses are that would make it a-lot more visual appealing. So in a since I would not worry about the levels per say just fighting monsters like your first boss.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2012 19:44
Congrats on releasing another game

Some feedback from me

The music is a bit insane

The movememnt looks a bit stiff?
Love the swinging in the ropes.

Wath is the white windows popping up?

Iam probably on the same level as point in space here that the art work should look the same the whole way

But all in all so have you done a great work as not many finish or upload there games to the market

MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2012 00:29
Some feedbacks:
- the terrain and moving platforms have been downloaded from http://www.reinerstilesets.de/
They are single "pieces" that I resize, rotate and compose according to the needs.
I understand that a tile-based approach, with smaller pieces, as the one used by Cliff for his platform engine, could be better, to create more interesting shapes. I could use a similar approach by creating little terrains of different shapes and combining them (is this the suggestions?).

- the music caused me some problems with Youtube videos, that warned about me about IP infringement. According to them, the music was a track taken from an album by an unknown musical group (no more for sale). The fact is that the music, downloaded from www.pacdv.com, is free and can be used for multimedia production according to the license. It is enough to mention the web URL in the credits. So I raised a dispute with Google, by mentioning the free source, and immediately "the owners" released the claims. So the music should not be so bad if someone claims the paternity

Generally my approach is to "finalize" the work as soon as possible, even if not perfect. I accumulate experience on Google market trends, having 6 apps out so far, bring me more references and so links in the search engines. I wonder why many people, with excellent skills, much better than mine, delay so much the publishing of their first app. For sure they want to have the "perfect product", or maybe they want to work on graphics to be beautiful, or they use Tier-2. I have neither artists (apart my wife, that was promoted to an higher position in his office, so she has not got any time to help me), nor I cannot afford to pay, I have got to do by myself or donwload free media.
About Tier-2, I choose not to use it right to shorten the developing time. Sorry, but Java, Pascal (ah, the mythical Turbo Pascal) and C++ are so time consuming that time to have an app out is much more (rembember to free the memory of the pointer, othewise...coredump!).
The Tier-2 lovers are so many, but the apps out are so few
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2012 00:38
forgot to say that windows are "contextual help" about the single enemy or the movements. They appear as soon as you hit an enemy or press a button.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2012 11:09
Some help with the art could be closer then you think

Josh is a friendly shapp
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=192212&b=41

I know the artist on snackatula also do some nice art if you ask nicely
I have forgotten his name now but he is from belgium ?

And marco keep in mind that people want to help even when they hack on your work

I get alot of critic on my work and tryes to listen alot.

MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2012 13:47
critics are well accepted. Of course I am free to use or not the suggestions. If you are referring to the music, of course I am joking, I know that the music is not Mozart, but it is more difficult to find good free music. Do you know any site (apart www.pacdv.com)?
The problem with arts is that I have got no time to engage artists, give them specs or, worst, pay them, so I prefer to search for free content immediately available. This can be discussed, but for me it is a fact, as it is a fact that I never will use Tier-2 for the motivations I explained many times. This is why I ask to TGC to improve the Tier-1 part.
I am conscious that probably, with this approach, I'll never make money with apps, but, as I learned, to get a decent earning with apps and ads is extremely difficult. Even people of angry birds had to do a lot of attempts before creating the chicken of the golden eggs.
For me it is an hobby.
Last consideration is that I tried a lot of apps with excellent graphics but completely unplayable or boring. So I prefer to concentrate on the gameplay aspects than on graphics or sounds, in order to produce game not perfect from an artistic point of view, but amusing to play.
3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2012 18:19
I think that most people take another character they like on the internet do a basic sketch of the character and paint it different, or sketch it a little different. Gimp and paint shop pro are really good at this.

MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2012 02:19
Version 1.0.1 is out:
- levels and boss can be downloaded from Internet (added level 11 and fifth boss) at the beginning of the game.
- added double jumping after you catch 2 "powerup" objects. First powerup improves the single jump. second enable the double jump feature.
- added 2 more enemies: the spikes rising from the ground, and the rotating fire, inspired by other platforms.
- some bugs fixed

@3D point in space: my character is original, it is slightly inspired to Indiana Jones and 8 bit characters of Nintendo, but I feared IP claims, so I preferred to create this funny guy from scratch.
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2012 01:03
New video, that shows the first 3 levels and the first boss.
You can have a complete idea of how the game works and the character moves inside the physics world, and the proof that, with some hard work, a platform game exploiting Box2D can be a reality.
I cannot understand why some people think to give up with Box2D for their platform games. Box2D is an incredible tool...
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2012 01:04
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2012 01:25
Ended SudokuWare, I am going back to MrOttoBeat to improve the physics engine. In particular I am using SpriteRayCastGroup (idea suggested by someone) to check under the hero (center, left and right), to see if there is a platform below, in order to avoid "walking in the air". I tried to use SpriteRayCastCategory, assigning category instead of groups, but it does not work.
I would like to add more levels and, possibly, some tile based graphics in order to make graphics a little more sophisticated and appealing...
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2012 13:20
Now on-line MrOttoBeat v1.0.2 with fixed physics platform engine and 2 more levels added. Now there are 14 levels and 6 bosses (12 levels and 5 bosses pre-loaded, 2 additional levels and 1 boss downloaded from the Internet).
Doing levels takes a lot of time
In order to increase sales, at least in binary mode (from 0 purchases to 1 purchase) , I published a trial version, it should be out shortly. You can play the first 2 levels and defy the first boss. I know that it is not so much for free, but this game took a lot of time and efforts for me (4 months). But the first levels gives you a good idea of how the game is.
If someone is interested in understanding how my platformer works, he/she can download it and let me know what he/she thinks of.
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2012 19:20
fixed another bug: MrOttoBeat sometimes remained stuck on the mobile platforms, he could not either jump or move when on the border of the platform. This happened because of a mistake in the logic of the raycast check. Now it works well.
In general I agree that to create physics platformer is not so straightforward, because we have to a lot of possible "cases". Maybe the better would be physics with some form of "constrained" control.
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2012 15:28
I found 1 5-stars comment on Google Play for the trial version
If it was someone of the forum guys that has written that comment, I have got only a word for him: THANKS!
And I could send him the Windows version...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 11:06:11
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 11:06:11