Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Android / Hello World Basic for Android

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
I thought of buying the AppGameKit App game kit to make Android games (with Basic) but a can't get a grip of the product. Is there a movie/document that describes the process of a simple example like ""Hello World"? I would also like to see the experience for a customer buying a game. For example, is the AppGameKit player neaded, can it be included in the APK aand so on.

Sincerely,
Max

Sincerely,
Max Tillberg
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2012 16:45 Edited at: 27th Jun 2012 16:51
In regards to documentation, here is a link which provides code examples/guides and what not...

http://www.appgamekit.com/documentation/

From a user perspective, you do not need to install the AppGameKit Player to run an AppGameKit app purchased from Google Play... If you have an Android Device (which I'm assuming you do?) go on to the Google Play Store and download a few apps developed using AppGameKit and see for youself... 'BoxShot' was developed with AppGameKit (by me ) which is free, and I'm sure you'll find a few more if you check out the AppGameKit Showcase Board...

Lastly, buy AppGameKit, its a fantastic product ...

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the IDE comes with a large amount of example projects too... Check out 'IDE for Tier 1' under 'Guides' on the above link...
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2012 16:56
The big thing to remember about the current Tier1 Android guide is that it forgets to mention that you now need to create a directory named 'media' under the assets directory in the Android project.

It is in the assets/media directory that you put your renamed bytecode.byc file.

For some help with other bits, when you get around to updating your AppGameKit (because we know there are more updates coming), I'll include my usual post about that. The umask command mentioned is good at any stage when you are working with cygwin.

These are commands I execute every time I update/change my AppGameKit version. I have my Windows AppGameKit installed in C:\TGC\AGK (I never use the Program Files directories if given the choice, I hate spaces in paths/file names). And I used simply 'android-ndk' for the Android NDK path (I used the most recent version). And I just created from IDE down in the android set, since I didn't need anything else in the AppGameKit tree.

A good command to use before anything else, to make sure directory/file permissions are set well:

To update the core AppGameKit stuff:

To update my own projects after updating core AppGameKit (this is important to make sure that your project uses any new stuff):

After doing the above to make sure the permissions are correct and that Eclipse will be able to run the app on the Android device:

Now, just so you have a working player, build the player:

Edit /cygdrive/c/Android/IDE/apps/interpreter/interpreter.cpp to uncomment the correct line so that your app will run instead of the player. In v1075 and v1076 it is at line #255:

Copy from your AppGameKit Tier1 directory, clean and compile your app:

Good luck!

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Max Tillberg
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks a lot,
I found the Tier1 Android guide and it was 57 pages long! Just to make a APK. And the number of programs that was involved, I lost count. I am used to use Adobe Air where I just press a single button. My question is now if it is worth the hazzle and if it might get a little more easy in the future?

Sincerely,
Max

Sincerely,
Max Tillberg
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2012 16:44
This link is the 'short' version: http://www.appgamekit.com/documentation/guides/33_android.htm

Once you get the setup working the first time (and that does take some effort), it is easy to work with for subsequent projects.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
victordavion
Years of Service
User Offline
As Ancient Lady pointed out, once you do the initial setup the first time, every project after is a breeze. It takes me literally about 10 seconds to a minute to start a brand new project from scratch and in addition getting it setup for Android, as well.

If you're looking for code examples, I'm actually considering releasing my full source for a game of mine, as it's not quite complete in what I wanted to do with it and I no longer wish to support it. It's also perfect for educational use, since it's actually, in its current state, basically a clone of a classic game.

I only do Tier 2, though. Were you interested in only Tier 1?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 04:42:36
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 04:42:36