Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Trying My Hand At Sprites

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2012 01:56
I'm using a free program called Tile Studio and thought I would try my hand at creating some 2D space sprites. One of my favorite old school games is Gradius and I thought I would try to recreate the player's ship. This is what I have so far. What do ya think?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Kamakazi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2012 01:59
And here is an image of it (hopefully).

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2012 11:53
Ahh Gradius, I always liked those games, my favorite is Salamander/Life Force, I especially liked the way it switched between vertical and horizontal scrolling. I kinda miss the old powerup select system, where you get to choose more speed, firepower upgrade, lasers etc etc, these days it's all about more and more bullets, rather than having to consider the best weapon for the job.

Look neat though, maybe could do with a bit more shading. It can be tricky to get detail in there, and tricky to animate as well, even if it is just rolling for up and down movement. What I've found looks quite neat, is to have layers. So you might have 2 wings, with the spaceship body in the middle, and then offset the wings to show up and down movement. One benefit in this, is that you only need to have collision on the body, not the wings, making collision detection a bit more realistic, and more forgiving. Not a bad thing in these games. Also, if you wanted you could get rid of a wing and have the ship fall out of the sky when dying. You could also have different wings for different weapons, upgrade the ship etc. Anyway, worth considering I think... there's probably thousands of cool ideas for enemies using that technique too.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 16:40:46
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 16:40:46