Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Process terminated with status -1073741819

Author
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2012 00:39
I've done a search on the board and seen a few people having this issue but the consensus of opinion was that it had been fixed on Build 1076 (which I'm on, or at least I think I am).

a) How do I confirm for certain which build I'm on. The About box says 107 and the AGK.txt file says 1076. Is there a better way to determine this?

b) It also was suggested that this was down to the number of lines of code (I'm writing in BASIC). I'm at about 2200 lines of code spread over about 6 different files which doesn't seem very big to me... Can anyone confirm whether they have resolved this issue personally?

I'm going to start playing around with the code and removing some segments to see if I can narrow down the source of the issue as it crashes in various different places, but any upfront advice would be very much welcomed!

"Happiness is contrary to the human condition" --White (to Black)
Grumpy Jedi
Years of Service
User Offline
If this is happening when you try to compile the solution may be as simple as adding 1 to 4 lines of code (doesn't really matter what it is... IE TestLine = 1 ) or removing 1 to 4 lines of blank space.

I think the problem is somehow tied to the codeblocks configuration file which in addition to the 1819 error when compiling, was also preventing me from compiling ANYthing at one point.

Just try adding or removing a line at a time and then compiling before you go dissecting your project, it may be as simple as that.
Grook
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2012 11:35
Thanks for they reply Grumpy Jedi but I wasn't very clear in my post - it bombs out when running my program, not when I compile it.

Marl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2012 15:50
I still get this occasionally, it is annoying and can be hard to track down.

The last one was traced to using an undeclared variable in a modula division - I had changed the variable name in one place and not another. Silly mistake.

I have seen the comments about project size being the cause, but have not found this to be the case. I would suggest that larger projects simply provide more chance of the error occurring without the size being the actual cause.

As Grumpy Jedi points out, some people seem to have resolved this by adding random lines of code, but to me this seems like groping in the dark rather than debugging.

Unless you find the source of the error, you run the risk of releasing a bugged application and adding random code might make the pain go away, but it is not really addressing the problem.

Quote: "I'm going to start playing around with the code and removing some segments to see if I can narrow down the source of the issue"

This is the best approach, generous commenting out of lines - particularly in newly added code - to narrow it down to the statement causing the issue. Then dumping variable contents to a file before and after each statement will show how variables are changing.

This is the kind of function used to dump details to a file;

In the code you would have something like

Which shows the variables going into and coming out of a function.

Common causes for me have been;

- Functions not receiving parameters correctly
- Functions not returning variables correctly
- Access to strings stored in UDT fields
- Accessing undefined variables

I hope you find the cause, Best of luck.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2012 16:07
I'm sure that the last time I got that, I was trying to read from an array that didn't exist - typo was enough to throw it.

Personally, I'd do a search for every single '[', and check all the array usage, see if anything comes to light.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
Grook
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2012 16:10 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2012 21:05
A very useful reply Marl, thanks a lot. I have already narrowed it down to one large function I believe and with your debug code I should be able to find the source of the problem. Your comment regarding the size of script files makes sense - hope you're right.

I'll post back a reply if I manage to find the offending issue with my script to help others with the same problem.

I have to say the AppGameKit community has been extremely generous so far in responding to issues as I make slow but steady progress with AGK. Thanks to you all. I hope as my experience grows I will be able to return the favour.

EDIT: Found the little swine - I was copying data from one array to another but the second array wasn't large enough. How stupid do I feel? You were right Van B - wish I'd read your post before I spent 2 hours finding the problem for myself! Thanks again to you all.

Grumpy Jedi
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "As Grumpy Jedi points out, some people seem to have resolved this by adding random lines of code, but to me this seems like groping in the dark rather than debugging.

Unless you find the source of the error, you run the risk of releasing a bugged application and adding random code might make the pain go away, but it is not really addressing the problem."

I think you may be misinterpreting what my solution was for.

Grook didn't state whether they were getting the error when trying to compile or when running their program.

So I offered a possible solution if it was the former. I've seen the compiler throw this error after doing something as simple as adding a comment line then trying to recompile. My theory is that something between the codeblocks default.conf(iguration) file and the compiler cause the error when trying to compile if your code length/blankspace matches some unknown criteria that it doesn't like.

I certainly didn't mean to imply you could fix a program bug if you got the error as a result of running your program.

I'm thinking the posts you read about adding/removing lines to fix the problem were likely tied to people getting it while trying to compile. I hope no one is able to fix a runtime error with their program by adding or removing lines from a project, because if they can, we would have far more serious compiler issues to deal with since in theory everyone could be releasing bugged code without knowing it.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2012 11:23
I would be inclined to try a command line compile. This would identify whether it was an editor issue or a compiler issue.

-- Jim
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2012 13:31
I had posted this problems months ago as a bug, but at that time no one listened to me. TGC ignored me, writing the usual things like "we have to reproduce the error etc etc", another way to say they have got no time for such nuts.
This issue has got nothing to do with number of files, numbers of line of code in a single file, ecc.
I have got a project with 10 file and 3000+ lines, and error appears randomly. I add (or subtract) generally one or more lines (I use dummy print("")) and AppGameKit recovers. When I add the next 10 lines of real code, here is the problem again.
Have we got to raise an "insurgence" to have got TGC fix the issue? If AppGameKit is the future of TGC, they have got to produce a stable product, otherwise...bye bye, there are other products on the market.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2012 14:32 Edited at: 8th Jul 2012 14:33
Since I spent a lot of my life doing tech-support, I'd ask the following questions:

* Is the issue random or totally reproducible given a specific code-base?
* Does the error disappear if you exit the IDE and restart it?
* Does it work with a command-line compile even if the IDE throws errors?

I ask this because others have problems with date-stamps not being updated always. This could be a related error, but until somebody tries a command-line compile it's hard to know if it's a compiler or IDE error.

If you add or remove lines and save, you have changed the source.

So I suspect many of these errors are a result of either the editor or the compiler/linker not waiting after a file flush or other possibly asynchronous OS call, and hence confusing things.

Certainly, the compiler should be able to output more explicit logging and error-reporting info.

-- Jim
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2012 18:57
Quote: "
Is the issue random or totally reproducible given a specific code-base?
"

I did not try on another PC. It would be interesting to move all project to another PC with AppGameKit (1.074) and try to compile.
* Does the error disappear if you exit the IDE and restart it?
"

The error does not disappear exiting and re-entering IDE. I tried to reboot the PC, and the error is still here
* Does it work with a command-line compile even if the IDE throws errors?
"

What is the command line syntax? It is not documented. Is there any thread where I can find that?
Now I have the same problem: I added a function in the main source file, added other lines in other files, and the problems is there.
Process terminated with status -1073741819 (0 minutes, 18 seconds)
"

I removed a print("") in the main.agc and it works.
BTW, this error begins to appear when the code is more that, let's say, 500 lines and, of course, use Tier-1.
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2012 21:52
Quote: "I did not try on another PC. It would be interesting to move all project to another PC with AppGameKit (1.074) and try to compile."

Have you tried updating AppGameKit to the latest version?

MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2012 23:26
no, because I had to revert to 1.074 because of annoying OpenGL error, that shall be removed in the next version.
I think that I'll open a dedicated thread to collect all experiences of AppGameKit users in order to infer what are the condition when the issue shows up.
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2012 02:39
Quote: "I've done a search on the board and seen a few people having this issue but the consensus of opinion was that it had been fixed on Build 1076"

Quote: "all project to another PC with AppGameKit (1.074)"

You're probably going to just have to wait until AppGameKit 1.076+ is stable enough for you. You're complaining about a bug that appears to have been fixed in the latest version(or at least the frequency has decreased).

MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2012 14:34
ok, anyway I opened a thread, and if someone has something to add as a suggestion, experience or work-around, it will be well accepted. I do not know when 1.076+ shall be avaible...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 15:56:32
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 15:56:32