Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Enemy Vehicle Difficulty

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2012 14:09 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2012 14:10
This is a 110% subjective question, but I would like the community's feedback on it! I'm making a racing game - a simple, simple racing game, and I need to implement my enemy car AI - EASY, NORMAL, HARD. This AI affects how my enemy cars interact with my player car.

Enemy cars are defined as 'vehicles that also occupy the road and drive forward'. They spawn off far in the horizon. If they spawn with a high initial speed, they're less likely to interact with the player's car (the player has to catch up with them first, otherwise they can drive off the horizon and be 'garbage collected'). Much like in real-life, cars can change lanes.

This is what I have so far:

EASY MODE:

NORMAL MODE:

HARD MODE:

I can tell the difference when playing with the AI. Does this seem like a fair natural progression when it comes to AI advancement?

Hi there. My name is Dug. I have just met you, and I love you.
Marl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2012 16:41
The progression seems OK for non-competitive cars on a road race game.

I presume opponents have a different behaviour.

One thing that really annoys me in this type of game is when player collisions slow down the player car but opponent collisions don't slow down the opponent car at all.

You are racing neck and neck and your wing mirrors touch briefly. Your car stops in its tracks and the opponent is in the distance. WHY?

Oh and treacle grass - my main gripe with Forza - grass that can slow a car faster than any ABS system
anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2012 11:25
Hahah, because it's an Arcade game. Plus it's easier to program player-enemy collision instead of that and enemy-enemy collision. Your opponents are the cars in the road, they get in your way and slow you down.

Thank you for your advice!

Hi there. My name is Dug. I have just met you, and I love you.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 08:19:12
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 08:19:12