Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / This might be a dumb question....

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2012 20:07
When I rebuild the <projname>.byc file and copy it to my Mac or Android setup, is it necessary to rebuild the project?

This assumes no change in any media or other project settings, only the compiled byte code file.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2012 01:22
I can't say for Android (presumably it's the same) but I don't think you do (I haven't tested it). In the interpreter.cpp it looks for 'bytecode.byc' which is included in the Resources in Xcode. So as long as it can find that, it should be ok.

I'll do a proper test today on a mac project.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2012 01:43
Thanks.

About an hour after I posted, I gave up on my Tier 1 WIP and started converting it to Tier 2.

In iOS/Android, it was experiencing randomish delete errors. The Xcode interface would say that I was trying to unallocate a pointer that had not been allocated. 90% of the time it was for a string, the rest for for a sprite.

I went through the code that it was dying in and there is nowhere that I am deleting a sprite that I hadn't explicitly created. The rest were using static strings in function calls.

I finally decided, after doing lots of things to 'fix' the string issue, that I couldn't be bothered with this type of error anymore.

I'm converting my app to Tier 1 where I have better control and a decent debugger.

But it is good to know that what I suspected about Tier 1 is correct.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2012 01:57
Quote: "About an hour after I posted, I gave up on my Tier 1 WIP and started converting it to Tier 2."

I'm heavily considering moving across to Tier 2 as well and in preparation to that, have started learning C. In the end I'll probably prototype everything in Tier 1 and then build in Tier 2.

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2012 02:02
I hate to be a missionary, but you could try the Pascal system.

-- Jim
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2012 04:54
Yes, JimHawkins, I could. But I'd first have to get my development setup ready for it.

Since I want to get my game done, and I've been working in C/C++ more recently than Pascal, and have all the right tools in place, I'm going Tier 2 for now.

When I have the time to play a bit, I'll start doing things in Tier 3.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2012 22:35
Quote: "I'm heavily considering moving across to Tier 2 as well and in preparation to that, have started learning C."

Just beware that C and C++ are different animals to tame. C has some quirks that C++ doesn't(malloc/free/structs) and C++ has a lot that C doesn't have(classes,new/delete,templates,etc). The only thing that carries over is syntax, and even that changes(variables don't have to be declared at beginning of function, etc).

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2012 00:18
Quote: "variables don't have to be declared at beginning of function"

They may not have to be declared at the beginning, but you do have to declare variables before using them.

And, EVERYTHING in C/C++ is case sensitive. You need to use the function names exactly as listed in the documentation. Unlike Basic (Tier 1) which doesn't give a hoot about case, as long as all the right letters appear in the same order.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2012 01:51
Quote: "They may not have to be declared at the beginning, but you do have to declare variables before using them."

Well yes of course, should've added that as well.

Quote: "And, EVERYTHING in C/C++ is case sensitive."

Yep. I can't tell you how many times a compilation has failed because I forgot to type out predetermined constants(i.e. WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN) in all caps.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2012 03:44
Quote: "Just beware that C and C++ are different animals to tame."

Thanks Dar13. I do know that they are different languages. The main reason I'm learn C right now is because I use it a uni next year and so I'm trying to get a head start.

Quote: "C has some quirks that C++ doesn't(malloc/free/structs)"

I've been spoiled in that VS2010 C++ Express accepts those although I haven't tried mixing them e.g allocating with new and then de-allocating with free(). Not good practice but something to try.

Quote: "They may not have to be declared at the beginning, but you do have to declare variables before using them."

That is a gift in my opinion. Too many times have I made a typo in DBP/AGK and been on the hunt for hours trying to find out why my program isn't working.

Quote: "And, EVERYTHING in C/C++ is case sensitive. "

I'm used to this(and even try to keep it the same way in AppGameKit BASIC) . I programmed in Java this past semester.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 14:12:16
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 14:12:16