Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / New to DBP- Where should I begin?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2012 03:25
First off, sorry if the title falls into the "Noob Question" category.

Second, I'm not exactly new to DBP, per se. I've owned it for a few years now, but only done simple things like the rotating box and globe. I haven't started the program at all in a few months, so I might as well be starting anew.
And I did look at the tutorial thread, but there's so much! I'm not entirely sure which place would be the best to start. I don't want to do anything ambitious as my first project, just a simple text adventure or something similar (I figure that will use fundamentals, but not in an advanced way by any means; correct me if I'm wrong).

So.. where should I begin? Should I jump right into the text adventure tutorials or go over some even more basic topics? Or is a text adventure so basic it doesn't even go over more than a few basics?

Cheesehead for life.
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2012 13:14
Here is a great place to start learning the basic (no pun intended) concepts.

Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2012 20:58
Thanks for the link, Hodgey! I'll take a deeper look at it later!

Cheesehead for life.
erebusman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2012 04:25
Yep TDK's tutorials is where I started with myself ... I had not taken a programming class since about ?? 1997 and that was just FORTRON.

Using TDK's tutorial's and some friendly help on the boards I was able to both learn BASIC and make this game in 4 months:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=195048&b=8

Have fun learning!
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2012 14:50
If you get stuck on anything, do not be affraid to let us all know!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 10:12:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 10:12:03