Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Object Smoothing with Animations

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2012 15:48
[Hate to start a thread over this but I just cannot find what I need!]

I'm looking for a program that can load a .DBO or .X file with embedded skeletal bone animation, apply a smooth effect (subdivide+average), retain weighting for the resulting vertices (based on their parent-vertices), and re-export with animations intact (or at least the bone-structure).

So basically, smooth an animated model.

Was playing around with wings3D but am pretty sure it does not recognise bones... Best I got. Can you tell 3D is not my normal suit? So, is there some hidden program or plugin which does what I need?
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2012 17:38
You can smooth models directly in DBP...
Set object smooth (object, amount)

http://www.3dartistonline.com/user/Travis%20Gatlin
You can find my latest work here. Please comment on my work and tell me what you think!
MMM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2012 07:44
Nah, I need subdivision (with averaging).

"Set object smoothing" only averages vertex normals. It has no affect on the mesh - or else it would be like "autoDX10ify".

Has anyone actually done what I need before, to your knowledge? That is, without re-rigging the model?
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2012 20:10
I have no clue, you'd be better off asking one of the older members. I'm no programmer really, I just know how to dabble in DBP.

http://www.3dartistonline.com/user/Travis%20Gatlin
You can find my latest work here. Please comment on my work and tell me what you think!
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2012 14:42
Try this http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2092

«It's the Pony, pony me this, pony me that» — Bronies
«I sell apples and apple accessories» — Applejack
Derpy delivers: watch?v=g4Kgz4Us_RI
MMM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2012 17:43 Edited at: 9th Jul 2012 17:46
@Trav: fair enough, thanks anyway.

@mrHandy: pretty much certain AC3D does not support animation, ala this thread. Figures I downloaded the trial, installed it, tried it and THEN found this out, but hey, thanks for playing. Does look like a cool program in spite of the fact. EDIT: this doesn't seem to help, by the way.

My smoothing needs to conform to existing bone weights, remember. Forgive my laymen terms, I haven't done this modelling thing in a long time. For all I know this may just be impossible - I guess it's just been long enough, I've come to expect some progress from 3D packages.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 14:17:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 14:17:05