Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Legal Issues regarding assets

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2012 14:12 Edited at: 9th Jul 2012 09:01
Yeah, I know that:
a) This isn't a begginer question and
b) This should be on the 3DWS board
but the 3DWS board is practically dead (last post in June) and I need some feedback ASAP. I have tried google and forum search and found zip.

Okay, so I'm using the full, paid-for version of 3DWS. Now, the models included with 3DWS. Can I actually legally use them in a game and if so, to what extent (freeware / donationware / commercial software / adware). I already know that the accompanying textures are copyrighted and may not be used in a game (they ship with 3DWS for demo purposes only). The models leave me confused.

Now the EULA says this:
Quote: "The textures and models distributed with the SOFTWARE PRODUCT are for use with the SOFTWARE PRODUCT only. They may not be converted, copied, altered, or distributed in any form."
(*With the understanding that "SOFTWARE PRODUCT" includes all code and media components - mentioned earlier in the EULA).
So one would assume that exporting("converting") a model to .x format (along with the rest of my map) to use in my game is a "no-no" since my game will be "distributed" with the models in some "form".
But then why does the package come with tons of models that are not used in the examples. They basically give you enough things to build a house. That's like me giving somebody a PC and saying "you can boot it up but you can't use any software on it". Also the product page on the TGC site reads:
Quote: "We've made our collection of high-quality meshes and textures available to users who order the 3D World Studio Builder Edition. Our meshes are designed as modular building blocks, and come with static shadow maps. Take advantage of our professionally produced media to get the most out of 3D World Studio."

I assume by "builder edition" they mean paid-for edition since the only other version is the free trial.

If anybody knows anything about this, I would really appreciate either a link to something that clarifies this whole thing or an explanation.

Otherwise, sorry to pollute the halp board. This was a move of desperation on my part because I really, really, really don't want to wait 48 hours for a response from TGC which may read "You have to email support@leadwerks", then email Leadwerks and wait I dunno how long when I could've made the model myself by then.

[EDIT]okay, never mind. I built a replica of the model with some slight differences. I'll just email leadwerks and go through the whole enquiry process in case this comes up in the future. Cheers.[/EDIT]

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 10th Jul 2012 00:21
Long story short, Delete all model and texture assets from the install directory [keep the folders] and populate them with your own...

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2012 13:25
Yeah, figured as much *sighs*. Dangle a in front of someone. Basically, "we'll give you these assets that you can do anything with except use in a program" lol.
Still, I'll move the models to a folder called "reference" and I'll use them as a reference when making stuff I need (If I actually ever need any of those, most of them aren't that good tbh. The only one I wanted was the electric pole).

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2012 14:06
yeah and the attitude of the company owner [yes LeadWerks is a very small company in actual fact...] kinda stinks... first impressions go a loooooong way...

also I do believe 3DWS is long discontinued and he mentioned he will be incorporating it into another product which means he killed the standalone off already... do I am going to use 3DWS for now and eventually move onto the logical option... MAX...

yeah those poles interested me too but *sigh*

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
What's an electric pole? It sounds easy to make.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2012 23:34
Quote: "What's an electric pole? It sounds easy to make."

This:

The model in question can be "tiled" easily. While easy to make, it is just another extra hassle. I'm all for originality where it matters (I usually make all of my graphics) but there are some things that are so peripheral that I'd rather just use ready-made stuff so I can exert my energy on the important things in the foreground... Ah, and I'm lazy too of course

Quote: "yeah and the attitude of the company owner kinda stinks... "

And here I thought I still hadn't received a reply to my email because they didn't like my handwriting

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2012 23:36
Quote: "And here I thought I still hadn't received a reply to my email because they didn't like my handwriting "

Made my day

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 05:27:00
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 05:27:00