Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / I really want to like 3DS more than Blender, but...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
After using Blender for a bunch of years, I received a student version of Max, and I like it, I really do. but for...

On my computer it takes like 30-45 seconds to load, so if I want to tweak something I go to Blender...

Modeling... Well I have Blender muscle memory now, and while I, in theory like the Max editing tools more, I keep heading back to blender because I grok them more...

So its sort of like... please don't think im an OSS snob for liking Blender more than Max, on the surface, I really do like Max's slickness and concepts more than Blender, but...

Is anyone else encountering this??? Basically you use a program for so long, and switching is really hard...
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 12th Jul 2012 03:57
Totally understand the issue and its also a concern over how long will adapting take... Sometimes one tool has something another tool does not... And sometimes you depend upon that feature a lot... Which makes moving over much more difficult...

However I am using 3DWS and the only thing stopping me buying into Max... Is the cost...

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2012 04:53 Edited at: 12th Jul 2012 04:54
It can be hard to transition between tools you're really used to or methods you're really used to. I've found the 3D tools I do like best are actually pretty similar in how they work, so I can use Carrara, Cinema 4D 6, Hexagon and Silo without adjusting much. However, if I try Blender, Maya PLE, Softimage|Mod Tool or even Lightwave (demo) I really struggle. They don't feel as intuitive and it feels like I'm learning 3D modelling all over again.

I think one of the troubles with Blender is that I don't think there's any tools out there that work in a similar way, so it might be harder to break away from. However, if you persist you ought to be able to pull it off. I did manage to stick with XSI Mod Tool for a little while at least, the only reason I didn't persist beyond that is because XSI Standard was dropped (which I wanted to buy) and I didn't like Mod Tool's licensing.

So it's possible to break away from the programs you're really used to using, it just takes a little bit of self-discipline.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2012 01:05
Quote: "On my computer it takes like 30-45 seconds to load, so if I want to tweak something I go to Blender...

Modeling... Well I have Blender muscle memory now, and while I, in theory like the Max editing tools more, I keep heading back to blender because I grok them more..."

Just agree with the first thing - 45 sec on my quite high end computer :I It's kind of a pain in the arse..

But I don't like blender - at all xD

Whose eyes are those eyes?
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2012 01:28
Totally agree with Quik... Blender is in no was friendly... In my opinion... Frankly I think Cinma4D is better in that I can figure it out... To make it more clear I can at least start a new project and add a cude and extrude it in less than a minute I am yet to do the same in blender in something like 3-4 years without a manual...

Thats what Intuitivity is all about...

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2012 02:44
Pfft pressing e for extrude is pretty intuitive to me

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2012 02:55
I certanly miss that with 3ds max yeah, however, shift +drag is quite fast too <3

but harder to extrude actual surfices...

anyway, it's a lot else that bugs me with blender - atleast 2.49.. like how it's hard and annoying to set up front, side and top views

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2012 03:01
Quote: "Pfft pressing e for extrude is pretty intuitive to me "

if you know how...

Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2012 03:30
I <3 Blender. I'm completely attuned to how it works. But I've been using it since late '09 but since the 2.5 series I had to re-learn the interface completely. I simply refused to switch from 2.49, but eventually I forced myself to do so and now I'm so glad I did.. My work quality has quadrupled since then. Maybe it comes with age though, I'm not sure. But I tried 3DS Max before but could never get used to the interface at all! I just really didn't like it, even though I wanted to since it's the industry standard for modeling, well that and Maya. But I guess it's all about what you're used to.

http://www.3dartistonline.com/user/Travis%20Gatlin
You can find my latest work here. Please comment on my work and tell me what you think!
Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 13th Jul 2012 18:55
You are going to like what you like,you are not dumb or stupid for liking one over the other,what maters is your work in the end.

my signature keeps being erased by a mod So this is my new signature.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "On my computer it takes like 30-45 seconds to load"
I suppose you never had a Sinclair Spectrum?

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2012 03:07 Edited at: 14th Jul 2012 03:07
Everyone has their preferences. I've always felt programs like Max and Blender were to claustrophobic. When I use Truespace I feel like I have a huge area to work with, but in reality not really. It's all about GUI layout.

I also like TS because it only takes 1-5s to boot up and it loads the last project you worked on.

Ret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2012 02:49
It was kind of vice versa for me, I started out doing my stuff with a student copy of max, and after I got more into it and found I needed a license before I could freely sell, distribute my work I went to looking at alternatives and ended up finding blender being the best alternative. However, like you I kept running back to max one way or the other, so I broke down the wallet, and some other savings and just purchased myself a copy of max. So....this is my advice to you, if you want to buy max, you don't have to have $3500/4500/5000....It's honestly not that expensive if you go with a older copy of max. I would suggest contacting there support people and working out something with them.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2012 03:45
Quote: "this is my advice to you, if you want to buy max"

I have no intentions of buying or selling anything anytime soon - first of - since I use Photoshop, and got my copy from my school - I would essentially have to buy that aswell + I don't feel ready for commercial work yet.

I think i'll wait until I manage to /hoperfully\ go to this local 3d college/university/high school (not sure of which it is in english sorry :I) which will also help on my traditional drawing/sculpting skills.
Would be nice being able to draw concepts for myself if i'm to go commercial wouldnt it? x)

Camouflage Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
well you can get a free student version of max as long as your under 18. that's what I've been using for a few years now, and I made the same transition as you from blender to 3ds max, and if I were you I would at least give max another shot just because of its effiency, and the amount of tools and the power of those tools.

But really in the end, if you're just a hobbyist, use whatever the hell you want, but if you want to actually get a job making game art, you'll need to learn one of the big programs like max, maya, or modo.

banner.jpg
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2012 10:52
Quote: "well you can get a free student version of max as long as your under 18"

really? Where can I read up on that?

bobochobo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2012 12:04
I haven't seen anything about that age limit anywhere. http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=17354855

All browsers should come with compulsory spell checks.

kingofmk98
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2012 18:44
I have used both and I just love 3ds Max. I first used the student version but I saved a little bit of money each month to buy it. Blender just didnt really fit me. But dont get me wrong both are great tools

Get My FPSC Media at http://fpscfree.webs.com/
GregA
Years of Service
User Offline
Quik

They will even give you the student versions of the software if you merely express and interest in learning how to use their software just to improve your employment prospects. Make sure you fill out the student software application even if you are not a student, you still might qualify.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2012 20:44
I'm not a student anymore - still using it.. Not sure how and when they will strip my license - providing they will..

Oh well, technically i will be a student still in 1 month.. x)

Troutflies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2012 22:08
I work with Blender and have for about two years now. I have tried 3d max and Sketchup. I prefer Blender but thats only because it's free and it's what I learned on.

One feature though that I wish Modeling programs would create is a simpler uv mapping system. I like the way for Blender Renders, you can just assign a texture to a service. As opposed to creating a Uv layout then exporting it and applying the textures properly.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 17:05:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 17:05:58