Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DarkGDK - With 2008 Express Lisense - NEED THE FAQ

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2012 21:38 Edited at: 19th Jul 2012 22:53
OK I have been recently told that you CAN NOT make commercial products with the Express Editions of the 2008 Visual Studio from Microsoft. Well I read the License and it seems they are right it does say that in paragraph 9 but only for hosting software. ( Meaning no internet software is allowed period. ) In fact it doesn't say anything about being allowed to use it in any commercial software actually. Microsoft is sneaky so you have to double check. Learned this all today.. uhgg..

Visual Studio 2008 Express License

The whole purpose of this is so I can use the commercial version of the DarkGDK /DarkGDK.NET. However if the Express Edition of the Compiler has a license also that says you can not use it, then your screwed if you can't use DarkGDK.

I just purchased this today after finding out in another thread that you MUST purchase the DarkGDK license in order to use it commercially. I paid the 50 bucks today just for both version of the DarkGDK license.

The problem is, now that I'm legal with DarkGDK, now I see that I'm not able to use the Express of Visual Studio without purchasing the full version.

So.. as you can see how it looks, there is a problem here. What do I do ? Well I googled for answers on this. And most all of them got answered saying you CAN use it for commercial purposes. But that you cannot HOST the Web Edition on the net for commercial. None of the answers were from official Microsoft personal. But the issue I find is that they all keep pointing to a FAQ that doesn't exist. Or at least not in a google search.

So my question is, can anyone here find a SP1 version of the FAQ that proves we CAN use the Express edition of 2008 Visual Studio for commercial version so that I can use it in conjunction with DarkGDK. Because after what all I been through today, my nerves are shot, after finding out I didn't have a licensed copy of DarkGDK to begin with which is how this whole mess started. So now that I paid for DarkGDK today, I am reading ALL the freaking licenses I have and sure enough, can't use Express Editions. Period. Even though this website of TGC shows that it's required. And apparently, according to this forum, you cannot use DarkGDK with Code::Blocks without installing the Express Edition anyhow. So its a no-win scenario. At least from how its worded.

So anyone know of a FAQ from Microsoft, otherwise your using express edition illegally if your selling products with it.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2012 22:50 Edited at: 19th Jul 2012 22:54
Well it took me a bit but I finally got an answer from the horses mouth.

I have attached a ZIP file that has all three pictures of our conversation as proof that you CAN use Express 2008 for commercial product.

This is picture number 2.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
This kind of stuff falls under "intelectual property". If you use someone else's work (i.e. code), then you are using their property. If you write the code yourself, then it belongs to you. Code can be copied from one source to another and no one will know the difference (unless you leave comments saying "this belongs to: some other person").

For this reason, most people have a problem sharing code they are using to make a game they want to sell.

The short of the 2008 express is that it has examples and samples for you to look at and learn from. These fall under the "don't steal my stuff" clause.

The fastest code is the code never written.
JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2012 23:26 Edited at: 19th Jul 2012 23:27
Right I get all that. But what your saying has nothing to do with what the problem was.

The problem was, can you use their compiler and still sell your products you make from it. Which has been now solved and the answer is yes you can use their compiler and sell your software. This had nothing to do with code.
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
I see. I didn't even know there might be a problem with using the compiler..... I guess I didn't read that much in to it to get confused.

The fastest code is the code never written.
JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2012 08:32 Edited at: 20th Jul 2012 08:33
Yea, I was thinking like you in this manner. But after the scare I had yesterday about another product here on TGC website, I started to reading the Terms of Service on everything related to TGC and that's when this whole thing about Visual Studio 2008 came up from a friend of mine. So I went into Search mode and finally got Microsoft to give me a straight answer.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 20th Jul 2012 12:50
Well done Jack!

JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Valentine.

Login to post a reply