Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Is AGK a good choice?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2012 14:42
Hello fellows,

I have a simple 2D game in mind. I've been planning it to run on PC, at first, but maybe in the future on mobile platforms, such as Android etc. I was just thinking that if I wish to port my game from PC to Android, is AppGameKit a good choice? I mean, canAGK really port a AppGameKit game I've built on PC to an Android game, or do I need other tools there in between the process?

I will be happy about any response or helpful comment according to this matter. Thanks in advance!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2012 14:55
I'd say so. I think that people need to be prepared for making adjustments for different platforms - different screen resolutions for example. Because if you just rely on a virtual resolution, your overall visual quality might suffer. For example, if you make your app run at 1024x768, good for PC and iPad - then make it run at 960x640 - maybe an Android tablet, well the 960x640 version will be squished a little, you won't have the same image quality as with the 1024x768 version. It depends on the game of course, but it would be better to aim for the devices native resolution and avoid scaling. It won't matter so much with 3D games (when AppGameKit get's it's 3D commands) - but with things like GUI's, and well drawn sprites, you'd want to get the most from them, by making it a bit more dynamic, be prepared to rearange the display and stuff.

As for a platform though, well it's a no brainer - use AppGameKit, because even if you do have to make allowances for smaller resolutions to keep visual quality at maximum - well compared to porting to other languages, especially iOS, the work is practically a non-issue. It might take a good programmer months to write an iOS or Android version from a PC version, AppGameKit kicks that whole issue into the bin.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
CodeTrasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2012 15:06
Thank you for your quick response, Van B!

This helped me a lot. I know I can make my game run on PC in almost every resolution I want (or in that many than PC supports) but on mobile devices the situation is different, of course, and I'll have to make adjustments in that sense I was mainly thinking about can the code be compiled directly into different platforms without major changes but I guess you said it right at the end of the post
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2012 15:38 Edited at: 20th Jul 2012 15:39
As long as you start coding your game in AppGameKit (BASIC or C++) you do not have to do anything at all with your code. At least in theory. Like Van said you may need to make adjustments for resolution, depending on your game. You may also need to make adjustments for input. As long as you keep in mind that a PC is a lot more powerful than a phone and the input is far more accurate, you shouldn't run into any problems. Having a game do well on a 3.5" touchscreen can be tricky (not AGK's fault). To my knowledge AppGameKit is the best solution for its price.

CodeTrasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2012 15:53
Hello Digital Awakening and thanks for your response.

To my knowledge there aren't even many such software that are able to port an application directly from platform to another. I've had a little testing with Unity3D which can port a game to different platforms, either, but I found that too complex for my needs and experience level.

AGK is starting to sound like a very tempting option. I'll take the trial version under testing to see what is it like and how it works. If I'm satisfied, I think I'll purchase the full version
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2012 16:39
AGK supports more platforms than any other package I know (except Unity I guess) of and without charging you extra. BASIC is easy to understand so excellent if you lack the experience. iOS is a little tricky, Android and other platforms are easy.

FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2012 17:07 Edited at: 14th Aug 2012 15:46
I just finally decided to order...I used coupon code edit to get 20% off.. was $47.20 total...awesome deal!

Mod Edit: removed the coupon code as we are using it to track its reach through advertising channels
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2012 18:58
CodeTrasher, AppGameKit is actually quite good for coding once/porting many.

Setting up for the porting to non-Windows platforms takes a bit of work, but only really needs to be done once.

For iOS and Mac publication, you will have to use Xcode on a Mac to produce the final version. Otherwise, Apple won't accept your app.

I've been fairly successful with Tier 1 developing in MS VS2010 and then getting the same app to work on an Android device, my Mac, an iPod Touch and iPad 2 and iPad 3.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
CodeTrasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2012 08:51
Thanks Ancient Lady for your reply.

That kinda "success story" is very encouraging to hear. I'm really looking forward to dive more deeply in the world of AGK. All I have to do is to save up some money from my very little income (I'm a student and a father soon) and purchase the full version of AppGameKit >
Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
@Ancient Lady: Does the end user needs to install any kind of player or runtime on his device or desktop in order to run the game ?
FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2012 02:24
Quote: "Does the end user needs to install any kind of player or runtime on his device or desktop in order to run the game ?"

No it is all compiled into an app/program
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2012 05:34
@Juggernaut, what FakeBlood said is correct for all platforms.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 17:55:18
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 17:55:18