Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark GDK 2.0 does not have the same level horsepower as its predecessor's ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Unfortunately, I am finding Dark GDK 2.0 way slower than Dark GDK 1.0 or Dark Basic Pro.

I do not about you guys - my card is a bit old - GEFORCE 9400GT 1 GB RAM. But I am finding Dark Basic Pro and Dark GDK 1.0 giving a much better frame rate.
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
I think it has to do with all the .dll calls. I'm no expert, but in 2.0 you're calling a function that in turn calls a .dll function. That's 2 calls just to do one thing. In some cases, with auto-assignment, it also calls another function for the numeric assignment. If you aren't calling all those functions, it runs super-fast on my machine (compared to 1.0). But as soon as I start calling functions within my game, it slows down significantly-- not too slow, mind you, but very noticable.

The fastest code is the code never written.
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2012 21:42
There's gotta be a more performance-friendly way to call these DLL functions, but I don't have time to explore. Perhaps WLGfx can jump in and share his idea?

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Don't know about you guys but I have compared every single example code that comes with GDK 2.0 with the ones compiled with DBPro. On average I can achieve same FPS and even more. However I do think 2.0 performance depends on RAM & CPU more than it has to do with video card.

Intel Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, Windows Vista Ultimate SP2, PureBasic 4.61 + DarkGDK 2.0
Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
I am using iCore3 CPU with 4GB RAM - should not be a bad configuration for Dark GDK 2.0 or 1.0
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2012 23:34 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2012 23:36
Quote: "I think it has to do with all the .dll calls. I'm no expert, but in 2.0 you're calling a function that in turn calls a .dll function. That's 2 calls just to do one thing. In some cases, with auto-assignment, it also calls another function for the numeric assignment. If you aren't calling all those functions, it runs super-fast on my machine (compared to 1.0). But as soon as I start calling functions within my game, it slows down significantly-- not too slow, mind you, but very noticable."

It's not because of the .dll calls, DBPro makes calls the exact same way, and .dll calls are extremely fast anyway. The only reason it should be any slower is because of the new thread-safe feature. Every time you call a command it has to acquire a lock on a mutex (or something similar) to make sure only one thread can call a command at a time.

Some commands (such as wrapvalue and other maths commands) are already thread-safe so they will get faster once mistrel has had time to go through and sort out which commands don't need any extra work to be thread-safe. My main point is that there's no fault in the design of GDK which makes it slower, performance is just something that will need to be refined.

Even so, I haven't run into any performance problems myself with any of the things I've ported to GDK from DBPro.

[b]
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
I think there's a switch to disable thread safe mode- then it runs a lot faster [at least with PB].

Intel Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, Windows Vista Ultimate SP2, PureBasic 4.61 + DarkGDK 2.0

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 02:02:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 02:02:34