Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Android / Suggestions for cheap Android that will work with AGK

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2012 00:44
My current Android device is not functioning anymore and I want an inexpensive one that I can test on.

My main requirements are:
1. that it is able to be connected via USB to load/execute compiled AppGameKit apps in Eclipse (Tier doesn't matter here)
2. 16GB would be nice
3. 7" or thereabouts display
4. Android 3.1 or better preferred, but 2.3 is acceptable

Are there any good suggestions out there?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2012 01:37
It sounds like what you are looking for is a google nexus 7. I havent used one myself, but from what I have heard, its awesome. In fact, im probably getting one myself when its avalible in sweden...

http://www.google.com/nexus/
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2012 14:35
I am also getting one. I think all 7" Android tablets falls into your specifications, maybe the older ones have 8 GB. If you want a 7" tablet that runs the latest OS you should get the Nexus 7.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2012 17:01
I'm not worried about the latest OS.

I'd get the Nexus 7, but I don't want to wait for the 16GB version, which is not available and they don't say when it will be.

I'd like to know anyone's specific experience using an Android device with the AGK/Eclipse setup.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2012 17:29
I can get back to you once I get my game working on my Galaxy S2. It's not a tablet and I am working in T1. Hopefully I will get that far next week. But getting apk files to an Android device is easy.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2012 18:13
In theory, getting apk files to a device is easy.

But I specifically want to connect via Eclipse.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2012 19:18
TGC mentioned that AppGameKit works great with the nexus 7

As for connecting via eclipse, it should work with all android devices I think...
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2012 21:56
I bought the Kindle Fire to use as an Android test bed. I don't know about using it with eclipse, I compile in eclipse on my windows machine, then put the apk into dropbox, and then intstall from dropbox on the Fire.

victordavion
Years of Service
User Offline
I wasn't aware you could side load on a Fire without rooting it. That's cool.

As far as I know they discontinued the 16GB Nexus 7 ( indefinitely ). I could be wrong, I haven't kept up with it much. My issue with it and a lot of other devices is the lack of expandable memory. However, if inexpensive is what you're after, the 7 is probably your best bet.

I use all of my Android devices with Eclipse without any issues. The things to watch out for is you need to use the Java EE Developers version ( not classic at the very least ) or Java Developers ( I use this one ) and keep it up to date along with the Android SDK. Doing so actually improved my compatibility for my older Nexus One ( 2.3.3 ) device.

My devices are: HTC Nexus One ( 2.3.3 ), ASUS Transformer TF101 ( 4.0.3 ), Galaxy S Captivate ( 2.3.1 ). All three are connected over USB 2.0 for immediate deployment/debugging.

For tablet testing I'd be sure to get something with at least a Tegra 2 with ICS support.

If you're using a tablet to test phone apps then ICS support doesn't matter since you'll want to support 2.3.x, but the ADT usually handles the OS versioning pretty well.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2012 23:29
victordavion, that's exactly the kind of information I am looking for!

I think you might not be right about discontinuing the 16GB Nexus 7.

Some googling indicates that they are just out of them. Apparently they anticipated everyone going for the cheaper one and didn't make anywhere near enough 16GB ones to handle the demand.
http://www.thewikimag.com/google-nexus-7-16gb-removed-from-play-store/

Maybe I'll go with an 8GB Nexus 7 for testing in the newer OS and something else for older (the ASUS Transformer is interesting, but I really want a smaller display, so more searching).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
leo877
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2012 10:40
@ancient lady

i dont know if this cheap for you but i brought me a tablet about amonth ago for the same purpose to test out my apk file. i choose android instead of apple. i brought me a samsung gaxaly tab 2

10.1 in screen,android version 4.0.4, 16gb with expasion for mirco sd up to 32g

on accident i had my tablet hook up to my computer while i was compling in eclispe it download my game to the tablet by usb.

the price mite be expensives.. i paid about 431.42. i know thats not cheap but i am happy with it.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2012 17:00
Thank you leo877, very useful information.

I think I'll compile a list somewhere of Android devices people have used successfully and then publish it here (after I get a big enough set).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2012 17:13
Quote: "I think I'll compile a list somewhere of Android devices people have used successfully and then publish it here (after I get a big enough set)."

Make a thread where you ask everyone what devices they have and how well they work...
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2012 17:51
Quote: "Make a thread where you ask everyone what devices they have and how well they work..."

Good idea! Much better than mine. ..... Done!

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
there is no question: NEXUS 7

i currently use a no name made in china 7" android tablet as a test device and i got this at around $150. Nexus 7 with Tegra3 is $200!!!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2012 00:16
Thanks to the largesse of my wonderful hubby (he hopes my games/apps will return all we invest and then some), I have ordered two devices for testing and playing (you don't want to know how many computers and computer-like devices we have in this house).

I'm getting the Nexus 7 to have the most recent Android OS and a Toshiba Thrive 7" with 32gb to have the Android Honeycomb OS (and something that I can actually load all the google maps for areas we go to and use the gps as a nice map device because my iPad with Verizon connection does NOT support data services when we are in Alaska).

I am (greedily) waiting for my devices. I get to PLAY!!! Oh, sorry, I get to program and test.

I created another Android thread for people to share their experiences with different devices and AGK: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=199021&b=46

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2012 11:26
As I posted in another thread, Nexus 7 is a very bad choice for games.

-- Jim
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2012 11:50
How is it a bad choice for games?
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2012 12:44
Quote: "How is it a bad choice for games?"

Limited memory
No SD card
Has to be rooted to use usb drive

-- Jim
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2012 15:46
I understand the memory part, but my galaxy note, whic I have a ton of games on, (over 100 apps) is nowhere near full (after I moved all my images to an SD card)

I'd say that the nexus 7 (even though I havn't used it) should be awesome for games considering the tegra 3 processor.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2012 13:13
Yes - but see NO SD CARD!

-- Jim
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2012 13:37
But I wouldn't store 400 images on my nexus 7

Login to post a reply