Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [Tier 1] A question about (Windows) resolutions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2012 07:25
Hello all,

I've recently bought AppGameKit, which I plan to learn while it matures like Darkbasic Pro did. I would like to develop games for Windows and Android first, and then branch into iOS/iPad when my proficiency grows.

Now, regarding Windows, we all know PC-monitors use a wide variety of resolutions and aspect-ratios. In DBPro, it was easy to write code that changed these according to the user's hardware or preferences. In AppGameKit, I've experimented with the 'setup.agc'-file to manually set a resolution on my PC. However, I'm wondering if it's possible to switch it during run-time, or at least provide a user with a configuration-screen that lets him/her choose from a list before the main program initializes.

Does anybody know if this functionality is possible or (maybe) planned?
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2012 11:14
It's not currently possible to change the settings in the setup file using code as the contents of the project folder cannot be edited, the reason is that the project folder often sits in a protected folder. There may be reasons to change this for certain applications, I suggest you post it as an enhancement request here: AGK Issues List

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
Zwarteziel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2012 11:55
Thank you for that link baxslash! I've entered it as issue nr. 381.
The Daddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2012 20:53
You can use getDevicewidth() and getdeviceheight() to attain the current screen size. Mostly on windows, users will want the highest quality their machine has to offer whilst remaining playable.

Generally changing graphics resolutions is usually offered to allow people to play games at lower resolutions if their machine is not capable enough and this is mainly used for 3d where user can turn off culling, anti-aliasing etc to save some processor time.

I would first think what platform you are working toward. I know you said windows but are you planning to sell via appup or via another source. See what the requirements are for your chosen platform (they all have them). Appup for example requires that you application can run on a netbook.

Good luck.

Constantly seeking!
Zwarteziel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2012 21:24
Hi The Daddy,

Thanks for answering! I understand it is possible then to use GetDeviceWidth() and -Height() to get the maximum resolution a user can set and switch to it in a full-screen mode? Because that would serve my purposes!

BTW, I think you are correct: most PC-users will want to utilize the maximum display resolution available to them. Being able to determine this and then switch to it automatically or let a user choose is handy for testing-purposes as well. For instance, I often test my DBPro-stuff on my own desk- and laptop, as well as my girlfriend's system. These three machines all use different resolutions. Not having to edit a config file manually each time I want to test something on one of them saves a lot of time!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2012 11:14
Quote: " I understand it is possible then to use GetDeviceWidth() and -Height() to get the maximum resolution a user can set and switch to it in a full-screen mode?"

I'm afraid not, in windowed mode it gives you the size of the window as set in the "setup.agc" file. If you are running fullscreen it will give you the full device resolution.

Using fullscreen assures you of full resolution anyway though so I would just use fullscreen for windows most of the time.

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 18:55:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 18:55:39