Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / UV map for Tennis ball

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2012 19:14
I'm not a 3D modeler so be kind!

I have a free tennis ball model (attached). The renders of it look great (http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/free-tennis-ball-3d-model/671852). I only have Wngs 3D on this laptop, I have opened it and when I use the UV mapping tool, it doesn't look like it is usable at all.

Can anybody guide me on getting a usable UV bitmap from this model? I want to be able to colour it furry yellow, and add my own personal logo on the side of the ball.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2012 20:44
Yo dawg, I heard you like tennis balls, so I got the tennis ball you posted, made a new UV map and a new texture for it and re-exported it.

http://www.3dartistonline.com/user/Travis%20Gatlin
You can find my latest work here. Please comment on my work and tell me what you think!

Attachments

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2012 23:34
Thanks, I'm just reinstalling TrueSpace now.
I looked at the texture, I may struggle a bit because I need to apply some text and a logo. I'll see how I get on.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2012 02:09
If the one travis posted isn't of use for a logo then shoot me an email at adam (dot) eisfeld (at) gmail (dot) com and I'll uvmap it for you.

If you do need me to uv map it, do you require the ability to put a different logo on each of the two "sides" of the ball? (This would also be the case if you only want a logo on one side of the ball and not the other). I only ask because if you're fine with the logo being symmetrical on the ball (IE flipped upside down on the reverse side of the ball) then the size of the texture you'll need to use will be greatly decreased as I'll be able to simply uvmap one side of the ball and mirror it for the other causing overlapping UV's that share the texture.

Let me know Vink.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2012 02:48
Hey Mr Bat, if your using truespace then just give it a 2nd uv layer with cylinder map then just add the logo image to a 2nd material layer(1st material layer contains the original texture) along with the alpha. No need to re-unwrap it.

Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Off Topic:

Quote: "Yo dawg, I heard you like tennis balls, so I got the tennis ball you posted, made a new UV map and a new texture for it and re-exported it."

Yo dawg, I heard you like UV mapped tennis balls, so I took your UV tennis ball and Uv unwrapped the unwrapped tennis ball to a different UV mapped tennis ball so you can work with one UV mapped tennis ball while getting a new UV mapped tennis balls.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2012 13:40 Edited at: 4th Aug 2012 13:41
Thanks for all the tips.

I eventually realised the UV map was just fine. In Wings, it was just so big that it couldn't display. I scaled it down and found it was very nicely mapped out.

Now, in Wings I can see it working quite well, but I would prefer to use TS for the final cut. I think I could do some good stuff with fur to add a bit of realism (this is for a 2D render, not for a game object).

BUT, in TS, I can't see the texture correctly? It turns Yellow, but the finer detail and the logo just aren't there. I've installed Yafaray offline renderer but I can't get get as far as texturing it correctly.

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 01:25:12
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 01:25:12