Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Revolution Skateboarding(3D Skateboarding Game)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2012 10:16 Edited at: 20th Aug 2012 01:27
Hi all. The past few weeks I've decided to pause work on my multiplayer FPS to try something I haven't seen too many people attempt(I've found out why) on the forums. A 3D skateboarding game in the same style as Tony Hawk, Thrasher Skate and Destroy, And Grind Session. I grew up playing these games and have always wanted to try to make one. I have run into some difficulties and have a long way to go but wanted to get some ideas and feedback. I've thought many of the concepts through when designing this game more so than I usually do so I have some good ideas I think on how to complete it.

This style of game is more Thrasher than Tony Hawk. It relies on more street skating than big long million point combos all over the place. I've worked on a lot of trick animations(Probably tweak them some more). I really wanted to have a simple control scheme and not make it too complicated. Tricks are done using Z/X/C and modified using the Shiftkey.

Completed Trick List/ Controls

Ollie - Space Bar
Nollie - Shift + Space Bar
Kickflip - X
Heelflip - Shift + X
Pop Shuvit - C
Varial Kickflip - Shift + C
Hardflip - Z
360 Flip - Shift + Z

Special Tricks

Laser Flip - Shift + Z + Up
Kickflip Underflip - Shift + X + Up
Nightmare Flip - Shift + C + Up

Grinds( Once I figure out the best way to get grinds to work. Any Ideas??)

50-50 - Ctrl
Boardslide - Ctrl + B
Nose Grind - Ctrl + C
Crooked Grind - Ctrl + X
Smith Grind - Ctrl + Z

Special Grinds

Salad Grind - Ctrl + C + Up
Blunt Slide - Ctrl + X + Up
Dark Slide - Ctrl + Z + Up

Other Things in the works at the moments

Better and smoother animation
Turning and Idle animations
Walking around so you can get up stairs easier
Bail Animations
More Levels
Objectives like Film and Photo Challenges
Contest Challenges
Spins
UI Design

Here's a short video of some of the tricks. It doesn't do it justice but its something. The tricks aren't in slow motion its just that fraps kinda sucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If9eKme2pZw&feature=youtu.be

Screenshots:

Sorry for the insanely long post. I was trying to get a lot of info out about it.

UPDATE 8/12
New Video
Showing manuals and new level a little bit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMPtnCVERos&feature=youtu.be

UPDATE 8/19
New Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4Ez2o-Yr04&feature=youtu.be

Thanks
Xcal1ber
Humanoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2012 13:06
Nice

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
It looks very good. It must be quite difficult to get the player, and the board to have the same velocity.

Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2012 13:51
This is looking great so far

Quote: "It must be quite difficult to get the player, and the board to have the same velocity."

Really! Surely it's just a limb!
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2012 14:08
I was just enjoying some Tony Hawk nostalgia recently, and this brought it all right back. I mean, just.. hell yeah!

Quote: "It looks very good. It must be quite difficult to get the player, and the board to have the same velocity."

It's probably easier in DarkBasic than in real life.

"everyone forgets a semi-colon sometimes." - Phaelax
Chris Ritchie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2012 22:36
Very impressive , might be the first skateboard sim I've seen here. Keep up the good work.

Lead programmer ULIDIA
Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2012 00:20
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
I want to play this now!

xcal1ber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2012 08:51
Wow thanks for all the compliments! Definitely makes me wanna keep working really hard to make it a complete game no matter how long it takes. The past day or so I sat down and began brainstorming ideas for some of the levels. The objective structure is similar to Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 where you get your objectives from NPCs through out the level. There are a lot of basics I need to finish up like walking around, grinding and manualing(wheelies for the non skater folk) before I really delve into the whole game structure but here's some basic ideas.

- El Rio High / Southern California,USA
Objectives:
- Kickflip El Rio Set
- Grind Library Wall
- 50-50 Gym Rail
- Beat Local Legend Jeff(5,000 Pts)
- Place 1st in Spot Competion(8,000 Pts)
- Find Stolen Money

- Euro Ledges / Madrid, Spain
Objectives:
- Tailslide The Ledge Gap
- Hardflip over Escarpado Ledge
- Crooked Grind Bench
- Beat Local Legend Sergio(6,000 Pts)
- Place 1st in Spot Competion(9,500 pts)
- Find Stolen Money

- StallMoore Offices / Portland,USA
Objectives:
- Hardflip Over Planter Gap
- Heelflip Down the Double Set
- Board Slide Railing
- Beat Local Legend Matt(9,500 Pts)
- Place 1st in Spot Competion(15,000 pts)
- Find Stolen Money

- Rackem Road Park / London, England
Objectives:
- Smith Grind across Long Ledge
- Nollie Down The Block Set
- Shuvit Over Graffiti Gap
- Beat Local Legend Kirk(12,500 Pts)
- Place 1st in Spot Competion(21,000)
- Find Stolen Money

All the levels are made up but I'm trying to base them somewhat in reality using lots of spots seen in many skateboard videos and other places in around the world.

xcal1ber
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2012 19:42
Will it support curved ramps?

xcal1ber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2012 22:50
@zotoaster- Its one of the things I'm trying to figure out, I still haven't got normal ramps down yet. Trying to figure out the best way to rotate objects on the world. Probably once I get that less glitchy and working better then quarter pipes and curved ramps shouldn't be too hard.
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2012 06:22 Edited at: 6th Aug 2012 06:33
I've had some thoughts on this before. I haven't tested them, but maybe you might find my ideas useful.

So, imagine your map is split into zones, and at any given moment your player is only in one zone. It may or may not be grid based. Each zone has a special transformation function, that updates the player's position and velocity in different ways, depending on the current zone you're in.

If you are on flat ground, the transformation function will simply add the velocity onto the position, thus making you move forward. If you are in the air, apply gravity.

Curved ramps have a more interesting transformation function. You want to force your position to be constrained within a quarter of a circle (when on a quarter pipe at least). Consider the dark blue area in this picture:

http://www.clipartstation.com/clipart/resized/Math/Transformations/__100x100//light%20blue%203%20quarter%20circle_rotate90.gif

That's the "zone" that you're in when you're on that quarter pipe. Now draw a line between the centre of the circle and the position of the player on that ramp. The thing you need to change is the angle of that line as you move up and down the ramp. I'm sure this could be worked out using your current position and velocity. Then using some simple trig, by adding the vector of that angle to the centre of the circle, the transformation function will reposition the player at that point. If you reach the top of the ramp with a significant vertical velocity, simply enter the player into the "air zone", at which place the velocity will be added onto the player's position, but a gravity acceleration constant will be added to the velocity too, thus causing your player to shoot up in the air, come back down, and re-enter the ramp zone. This also means you don't get the problem that the Tony Hawk games had with corner ramps (the kinda quater bowl ones), because if you jumped off them, you would still follow their contour even in mid-air, which is unrealistic (although maybe better for gameplay, that's up for discussion).

That's an abstraction of my idea. As I said I haven't tried it but it's maybe worth tinkering with.

prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2012 16:49 Edited at: 6th Aug 2012 16:52
You could possibly just update the position of the player over a parametrically define unit circle ( x = Rcost, y = Rsint ) between 0 and pi/2 (90 degrees) from the "centre" of the pipe with radius R, and face the player towards the centre of the quarter pipe (so it looks like hes travelling up the pipe) I'll upload a picture soon

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=x+%3D+cost%2C+y+%3D+sint

^ parametric unit circle. In this case, the parameter could be the velocity of the player

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2012 02:15 Edited at: 7th Aug 2012 02:18
I think you could probably use vehicle physics for a game like this, may solve a few headaches. You would probably only simulate the skate board and deal with the player manually.

You would get more unpredictable results like, whether that's good or bad is another matter

EDIT: You would probably need to stop simulating for jumps etc, looks great by the way. I want to get a glare effect like that in my game

xcal1ber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2012 23:44
Thanks I'll look into all that to see if I can figure out something. Made a little more progress. You can do manuals now using V and nose manuals using Shift + V as well as working on a balance meter. Also working on making it so the skater bails if he comes up too short on a gap or stair set.

The biggest set back at the moment is grinding rails. I've been working on try to get them to work using invisible objects around the rails and trying to lock the skater to the rail when the skater and invisible object intersect. I'm not sure if that's the most efficient way though. Especially when there are 20+ grindable objects per level. I probably won't be too difficult to do it that way but if anyone has an idea on doing it better let me know.

Also I began doing some architectural research and using lots of reference and began remodeling my school level. Trying to go more realistic.(Well expect the skate spot per Sq ft. ratio probably isn't but hey it still has to be a game.) I'll probably post some new screenshots tomorrow or later tonight to show some progress.

Xcal1ber
xcal1ber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2012 10:41 Edited at: 13th Aug 2012 11:00
Alright some new screens. The level is far from completed but gives you an idea. Still have to add a lot of detail and light it better.

I think this week I am going to overhaul the animation rig and start from scratch to create a better and much more efficient rig. That way it will be much easier to model multiple skaters and quickly rig them. Might try to do some rotoscoping( I'm too cheap for mo-cap) especially on some of the trickier animations to make sure the animations are really fluid since they are such an integral part of skateboarding game.

Xcal1ber
xcal1ber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2012 11:02
NEW VIDEO
quick little video showing manuals and new level a little bit. Still got a lot of work ahead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMPtnCVERos&feature=youtu.be

Xcal1ber
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2012 16:21
This seems really really cool, would love to play it.

Whose eyes are those eyes?
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2012 16:40
This looks amazing, keep up the awesome work

Armageddon Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2012 20:29
Definately interesting. Loks very cool! Keep it up!

http://uimg.ngfiles.com/banners/3880/3880701.jpg
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2012 02:04
Really good!

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 16th Aug 2012 05:04
one word, DEMO

my signature keeps being erased by a mod So this is my new signature.
Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2012 22:43
Good work xcal1ber. I never played skateboarding games but I would like to try this one. I hope you can have a demo soon.

xcal1ber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2012 01:26 Edited at: 20th Aug 2012 01:37
Thanks Guys!!!! I really want to finish a few essential things before I release a demo. But once those are done I most definitely will. I finished up modeling the high school level and added better lighting. I've added objective markers as well as a basic bail animation. Just need to add some working objectives and get this grinding to actually work then I'll get that demo out.

In the mean time here is another video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4Ez2o-Yr04&feature=youtu.be

Added some music though I don't own the copyright so it won't be in the game but it's was one of my favorite songs when I was skateboarding a lot back in the day. When the game is nearly ready I'll work on getting some underground skate punk bands to let me use their music. Or if any of you are in a band or know someone who would want their music in a skate game let me know.

Now back to work...

Xcal1ber
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
What's the actual gameplay? For example, you could make it so that you pick up cans of Coke else you run out of energy.

xcal1ber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2012 11:12
@Pincho Paxton: I realized I haven't shown much gameplay. Right now it probably seems like a tech demo at the moment. But I've got a lot more done and things in progress than shown in the videos. I'll try to explain it a little more in depth the things I am working on to help the gameplay.

You pick which skater you want.(I'm thinking about 5 in end, we'll see) each with their own strengths and weaknesses:

Ollie(how high you can jump)
Balance(how hard it is to grind or manual)
Speed(How fast you go)

Then you skate around an open level looking for objectives to complete. These can range from completing a certain trick on a specific obstacle, gathering money that is spread through out the level, to beating a set score within a time limit. Once you complete the goals the next level unlocks and so on. Each level's objectives get progressively more challenging like scoring more points within the time limit. It's very familiar to any one who has played a Tony Hawk game or any skateboarding game for that matter. I hope this explains it a little better. Hopefully in the next video I show a run through of the first level.

Xcal1ber
A dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2012 22:03
Cool looking game.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 00:13:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 00:13:02