Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Android / Build Problems

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2012 22:23 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2012 22:24
So I'm building for the first time in 1076 for my Android tablet. I've commented in the line for Android in "interpreter.cpp", re-run MAKE in both the "interpreter_android" and "interpreter_android_rr100" folder that I copied from it in cgywin a couple times, cleaned my Eclipse project how many times, and rebuilt and installed the resulting APK onto my Android device.

But it keeps going to the AppGameKit Player screen!

I've dumped all of my files into the "assets" folder, and the bytecode is no exception. It just doesn't want to run anything

Hi there. My name is Dug. I have just met you, and I love you.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2012 22:28
All of your media and the bytecode should go in a subdirectory named media under the assets directory. Depending on which guide you looked at, this bit of information is missing.

And make sure that your byte code file (media/<yourproj>.byc from your Windows build) is named exactly bytecode.byc and is in the assets/media directory.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2012 22:40
Yeah, it's not in a media folder. I'll test it out.
BTW, I added you to the "thank you" portion of the credits in my game Ancient Lady.

anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2012 22:58 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2012 23:00
So funny story, I got it running on Android. Sort of. It loads all of my images fine, and it loads and plays music correctly, but does not load any of my track data at all. It also crashes when it tries to access any downloadable content. The only thing I can possibly think of at this point is that they both use dynamic-sized arrays. But so does storing my images, etc.

This requires more work to figure out. *sigh*

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2012 23:09
Awww, I'm touched. Thank you, it never hurts to be appreciated.

Good luck figuring it out. I'm working on getting a Tier 2 app to work on the Android.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2012 23:31 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2012 23:40
And my app just took down my Android tablet

Well, I'm not too concerned about Android sales anyway. Why? I've sold $1.00 worth of software since February for Android, which is dwarfed by my still quite small take from iTunes.

So I might just do an executive decision and not develop for Android anymore. As the last couple of days have shown, it's tough to port from Windows to iPhone, and I am not going to try to fight just as hard getting it to work on Android when the sales numbers just aren't there.

If I end up making a couple thousand on iPhone and start getting requests for Android, then perhaps I'll try. But I'm not even there yet for iOS sales.

EDIT: Well that's interesting. Instead of taking down my tablet (which I thought it did), it only takes about 5x longer to load than the iOS version of my app.

So, it runs. Just extremely slowly when loading maps. But still crashes during the credits and when trying to download from the Internet.

I'm so confused right now.

EDIT2: Turning off my tablet and turning it back on caused all of the problems to go away. It runs like a charm, minus some missing image error during gameplay. I am REALLY REALLY confused

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2012 23:58
Quote: "I am REALLY REALLY confused"

This is a common occurrence in the programming world.

One of my web clients told me there was a problem this morning. I was able to repeat it, so I put a debug bit in the code causing it (a database error, supposedly) and the problem disappeared and stayed away after the debug was taken out.

I think software sometimes gets sensitive and you need to do a 'laying on of the hands' (basically just let it know that you know it is still there) and it works.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2012 00:19 Edited at: 4th Aug 2012 00:19
Well, here's my current take on my app. It runs, but not well on my tablet. But it runs. There's a million and one reasons why - at least on Android - why an app may or not work. Why? There's a million and one hardware combinations. My tablet is definitely on the low-end.

That being said, I know what I have works to some extent and I can release it at least.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I wish Android could provide some sort of option to just make your apk available to a list of mobiles/tablets. I would just like to make an app for Nexus7 and a couple of other high end tegra devices, and lock out the rest of the cheap low-end devices.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2012 18:19
You can always specify in the description that it is intended for a specific version of Android or class of devices (or list specific ones).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
victordavion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2012 18:50 Edited at: 4th Aug 2012 18:50
Actually, if you're publishing on the Play Store ( Android market ) you can specify which specific devices can download the app ( in fact if you don't have a valid device you won't see it available ). It's a neat feature, but I think abused by a certain company because they only allow their games on one brand of devices.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I have never published anything on the Google Play market yet, so I am not very familiar with it.

I like the Apple Appstore beacuase it's very simple, you can make your app iphone only, ipad only, or both!!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 00:46:05
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 00:46:05