Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / From Chaos Comes Beauty... (Unnamed x9 Project)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2012 20:36 Edited at: 11th Aug 2012 05:02
Nothing to see here... I'll post stuff when it's done.

Story: You awake in a crashed building complex. But it's not any ordinary complex. It's your own hell. You trapped yourself in it. And now you have to fight your way out of it, guns, knives or objects. Use smarts to find your way to new areas, and use versatile and realistic weapons to face your demon foes.

Screenshot of the starting area:

Current media:

- TF341 weapons: Combat knife
- Self created media: M16A3, G36K, M92
- Kravenwolf: Wooden plank, Scythe
- bond1: Viral Outbreak pack, Zombie Apocalypse 1 & 2
- Stock WW2 media and scifi media, modified to fit the timeline

USING UZI IDIOT'S PLENTIFUL AMOUNT OF SHADERS, HIS WORK IS VERY IMPRESSIVE. A VIDEO WILL BE UPLOADED SOON.

Why does life suck the life out of you?
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2012 22:39 Edited at: 8th Aug 2012 23:20
Hope to see some cool screens soon

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
The Nerevar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2012 00:16
sounds like a modern Doom game, I'll like to see screens as well, and a demo soon!

I'm familiar with this, but I'm still learning!
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Please put some screens up and read the stickies. They are there for a reason.

PC Specs: AMD X4 2.7Ghz, 8GB DDR3 RAM, Nvidia 9800GT, Win. 7 Pro 64 Bit
SecretiveOps
Years of Service
User Offline
I've had a lot on my plate... Storyteller knows the deal. He can attest to my delay... but meanwhile, pics will be posted today

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2012 23:43
Quote: "I've had a lot on my plate... Storyteller knows the deal. He can attest to my delay... but meanwhile, pics will be posted today"

I bet you guys never thought, you'd read this from ME....but give ScretiveOps a day or two

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
The Nerevar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2012 23:47
can do! I hope...

I'm familiar with this, but I'm still learning!
SecretiveOps
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I bet you guys never thought, you'd read this from ME....but give ScretiveOps a day or two"

Thank you so much for understanding The Storyteller. You won't be dissappointed with what I deliver. I promise.

Braden 713
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2012 01:54
I genuinely don't mean to sound inconsiderate, it sounds as though you've been having a tough go of things lately and I'm sorry to hear that.

However, perhaps it would have been a more appropriate idea to wait until you had some work to show on the project, before throwing a post up. My only point is that it just seems inconsiderate to push other members' threads down, that show a lot of work, with a post that seems more like an announcement than anything at all.

Sorry, again, if I sound intolerant. I look forward to seeing your game, and wish you the best of luck.

Life would be much easier if I had the source code.
SecretiveOps
Years of Service
User Offline
Pictures are posted for those who are curious.

Braden 713
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2012 05:32
Awesome, good to see some screenshots up. They look fairly well done so far as well, I like the mood of the first one.

My only suggestion might be to add an effect to the lamp on the bedside table, so it looks as though it's actually lit up. I believe the effect is illuminationmap.fx, don't quote me on that though, it's been a while.

Looking forward to that video

SecretiveOps
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks I always use warm and dull lighting in my games... I don't know why, I just tend to lean towards those for a darker and depressing mood. Whereas my buddy Bugsy goes for cool and bright lighting.

Video will be up today.

Braden 713
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2012 21:14
Actually I know exactly what you're talking about. A lot of developers (including Valve, with their title Left 4 Dead as an example), tend to use warm lighting almost solely as a way to guide the player or show areas of safety amidst a back drop of cooler, bleak tones that provide that cold, dismal sense in the environment.

However I agree with you to a point, where I find sickly, darker oranges and brown tones do actually create a very sinister, unsettling environment. Those are just my two cents though.

All in all what's probably most important is ensuring there's variety in your palette, and that you create your desired mood or intended feel for a scene, no matter how you populate it.

sic1ne
Years of Service
User Offline
some friendly criticism ,,,,,,,,looks good i like the lighting ...... in screen 1 i would take that big flat screen tv off the wall to me it just doesnt fit the scene i dont know if ur in a hotel or a big house/appartment.. and in the second screenshot i guess its supossed to b a bathroom but the toilet and trash can are right next to the door as you walk in aswell as there are dresers in the bathroom! i would love to see more screenshots

SecretiveOps
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for the tips Braden. I've worked on illuminating ALL light fixtures. It works great with uzi idiot's Lens Flare shader. And sic1ne... I've already worked on it. It'll be released the next update I do. I'm posting a video of the first puzzle you have to do to proceed in the level.

SecretiveOps
Years of Service
User Offline
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GYZCT9PmoY[/YT]

Enjoy!

sic1ne
Years of Service
User Offline
cool vid the tv looks alot better with a picture on it keep it up i wanna see more!!

SecretiveOps
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks sic1ne. I got the level layout to be more realistic and dark... I'll post a video soon.

anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2012 06:32
I couldn't help but notice...

There's a trash can next to a toilet and it's all sitting on a carpet .... Uhh, no comment.

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
Braden 713
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2012 21:59 Edited at: 12th Aug 2012 22:02
Okay, watched the video SecretiveOps. The first and only thing I would suggest is simply, spend a little more time developing the areas you have, and perhaps the rest of the first level.

Try looking at games you love to play, examine the detail put into maps. Some engines/games can get away with the odd empty hallway with lights, however as I've found over the years with FPSC, it doesn't look so hot. Especially if there isn't more to the level. There are plenty of members around the community as well, whose work you could look at for inspiration, or just simply some ideas on how to further populate your map.

I might suggest even a quick look down Wolf's list of WIP's
(That's not to say there aren't plenty of other great mappers in our midst!)

I'd say the opening bedroom is good the way it is, because of course, you don't want to over do it either.

And the box puzzle is less of a puzzle, if the boxes are the only thing in the hallway, and right in your path. Perhaps hide them a little behind other immovable objects or down another smaller path that branches off. Your possibilities are endless. You could even leave 1 or 2 boxes up on the ledge, forcing the player to realize that they're up there, and pull them down to jump on.

Good luck, if you have any other questions I'd be happy to try and answer. Otherwise, it's just time and inspiration

SecretiveOps
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Braden. I'd love to collaborate more. Do you happen to have skype or MSN?

Braden 713
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2012 04:24
I don't actually have either, sort of behind in getting those kind of things set up. You're more than welcome to email me if you'd like to discuss your project in more depth.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 16:17:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 16:17:54