Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Is AGK Bytecode Backwards Compatible?

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2012 16:51
Hi there. I notice that support for the non-core platforms has been deferred until after 3D and drawing commands which I guess could be quite a while. I have an app that I need to be able to support on BlackBerry so I was wondering: if I upgrade to v107, will the bytecode it produces still work if I integrate it with the existing Blackberry template I have set up? Obviously I couldn't use any of the new commands but is the format the same so it will still run? Or will this cause a problem? Thanks.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2012 17:19
I suspect short answer is 'No'. The 107 byte code will not work with the pre-107 interpreter.

Even if you stick with only commands that existed in the version your original byte code file was built in, there were some changes in location for some of the stuff in the byte code file. The interpreter looks for certain bits of information to be in the correct places.

One of the things it looks for is the AppGameKit version used to build the file. If you try to use a newer byte code file with an older interpreter, it will probably reject it on that basis alone.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2012 17:54
Quote: "I suspect short answer is 'No'."

Oh . And I guess you can't install two versions in parallel either, right? In which case what, I need to have v106 installed on one computer and 107 on another? Oh well, it was worth a try. Thanks for the info anyway!

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 10th Aug 2012 19:39
Lucas... Just use different folders...

C:\AGK106
C:\AGK107

Job done... You can eben use the ZIP files... I think...

I accidently had both editions installed this way... Mostly because I can not figure out the correct method to install 107... But waiting for 108 before I start anything and hoping it has video functionality...

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2012 22:20
MrValentine, the issue is being able to build a project and byte code file in v107 and then use it in a v106 project (dumping the byte code file into the media directory and just running the app).

That is what is not going to work for Lucas.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2012 23:14
I agree with Ancient Lady. Using older byte-code on a new player may well work, but it's quite hard to make a player that can time-travel into the future. Best advice - update and recompile.

-- Jim
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2012 23:24
Oh... I see... Thanks...

I am totally new to AppGameKit even though I bought it almost a year ago lol...

However I am hoping there is video support in tier 1 108. So that I can develop an app for a client for iOS pretty soon...

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2012 23:30
JimHawkins, Lucas' problem is that he wants to create the game for the BlackBerry. So, he's sorta stuffed until TGC brings AppGameKit up to date for the BlackBerry.

MrValentine, I don't think we'll ever get video support. Except maybe as part of the HTML5 stuff. There are posts about this issue.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2012 23:36
Thanks AL... Very true... I guess I better wait til that happens then... Or learn XCODE now and utilise HTML5 Myself...

Hows the wireless coming along? >_< again many thanks AL you deserve Valued Member status I think... But you got something much cooler

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2012 23:37
I understand.

Video is extremely unlikely on any of the games environments. It's even problematic in HTML5 because of Apple's hegemonic restrictions!

-- Jim
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2012 23:49 Edited at: 10th Aug 2012 23:50
I suppose this thread has run its course so hoping this side track is not offending...

I find HTML5 MP4 to work pretty swell... If you want some code that works ask me in email anytime

There is a specific format too...

EDIT

Typo...

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2012 23:58
Yep - but different platforms have different requirements!

-- Jim
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2012 00:15
Quote: "So, he's sorta stuffed until TGC brings AppGameKit up to date for the BlackBerry."

Haha, yeah that's kind of the impression I've been getting! Oh well, nevermind. I think I'll just stick with v106 for the moment then. Anyhow thanks again for all the info.

Quote: "hoping this side track is not offending..."

No worries MrValentine. Yeah video support would be pretty nice but guess what I'm hoping will be supported first... Did you guess it? Yeah Blackberry support!

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2012 00:15 Edited at: 11th Aug 2012 00:16
yeah firefox and opera, pft... being different just makes a browser silly... I find it difficult to find an ogv converter than I can use fully just like my paid for software allows for MP4, so I guess unless firefogg can manage the issue well enough, I will stick to MP4 and force end users to use a compatible browser... but I am installing firefogg right now and hopefully it will work, but I can use MP4 on an iOS and MAC device so what the heck >.<

EDIT

Quote: "Did you guess it? Yeah Blackberry support!"

hehehehe nope I never guessed it >.<

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2012 18:54
MrValentine, I actually am now able to broadcast to Players on my devices.

Oddly, the wireless in my office (I work at home) wasn't working for a while this morning. But it is back (otherwise I couldn't see this, since my Mac-Mini connects via wireless).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2012 19:35
Quote: "Mac-Mini "

Can you use this for xcode?

Also I sorted out the HTML5 video it works now, just need firefox to fix itself...

why they called that phone by a fruit I will never know

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2012 22:08
Quote: "Can you use this for xcode?"

Absolutely! The Mac-Mini is a full fledged computer and very powerful. But, unlike all the other Mac products, it doesn't come with built-in keyboard/monitor. I have mine configured with dual 21" monitors and my regular butterfly keyboard.

It's a very nice machine and been a breeze to use doing Xcode work.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2012 23:43
Chers

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 17:15:02