Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Ouya Support

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2012 00:32
For those who don't know what Ouya is:
http://www.ouya.tv/

The system uses the Android platform so technically AppGameKit should work with it. The only hurdle I can see is getting the input for the controller. I've emailed them about developing for Ouya but yet to receive a reply.

With my next check I plan to pre-order. I'd love to do some tests with AppGameKit and this new platform.

Just wondering if anyone else has inquired the team about developing on the platform or if TGC has looked into it.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2012 01:12
I or someone else did a thread about it. I was part of the Kickstarter project and preordered one with an extra controller.

Ouya on Kickstarter:
$8,596,475 pledged of $950,000 goal
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
devkits will come out in December so before then Tgc can't do much
XanthorXIII
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah but there's a good bet that it won't be too hard for TGC to have something ready in short order.
I strongly suggest they make this a top priority.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2012 10:03
All they need to do is to preorder one (if they haven't already) and make AppGameKit support the controller, in game purchases etc. shortly after its release. Since it's an Android device and each unit is basically a dev-kit, it shoulouln't take long.

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2012 12:50
Simply so should all agk android files work on ouya.

I belive they have simply transformed gyro and touch controlls to there pad.

So if we know wath types they assigned to there pad so should it be easy.

We can already use pads with android! with an simple app that is aviable on play market.

Android 2.3 Gingerbread , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz cpu , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz cpu
Android 4.0 Sandwich , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , cortex A8 1.2 cpu , 1 gb ram.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 13th Aug 2012 02:27
Quote: "Simply so should all agk android files work on ouya."

beear in mind, its a propriety store, not Play Store however that might be on there I dunno how Amazons works... I am in the Uk so no idea...

but might just be a slight change in export...

I might never buy an OUYA as I do not have any TVs but it has HDMI output so maybe after I buy a touch screen I might think about finding one with HDMI input...

I am feeling a little optimistic about this now...

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2012 02:33
I think the most exciting aspect is this platform will be very cheap to develop for, not to mention it's a 5th-7th of the cost of regular android platforms. From an indie standpoint it's awesome.

I don't think it'll be too difficult to get AppGameKit to Ouya, if you can handle the android control files yourself then you could link them to keyboard keycodes Though it would also be cool to see some commands to get the joystick inputs.

From an indie standpoint it looks great.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2012 05:22
I signed myself up for an OUYA (but not the launch party) and am eager to see this one unfold! The basic device is Android, and AppGameKit will probably work on it out of the box. I'll be getting mine before it hits the stores (hopefully), so I'll be able to make sure any last minute signing requirements and special bits of code are in there so you can enjoy creation and playing your AppGameKit apps on a Console! No expensive third party developer license fees, no 'permission required', no 'secret short list', you will be able to code your own console game and share with your friends! How cool would that be

Lead Developer of Dark Basic Pro, FPS Creator and AppGameKit (App Game Kit)
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2012 07:38
Thanks for the heads up Lee. I think AppGameKit an OUYA will be a great combination

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2012 10:05
Quote: "you will be able to code your own console game and share with your friends! How cool would that be "

Hmmmm?

Probably awesome

Android 2.3 Gingerbread , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz cpu , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz cpu
Android 4.0 Sandwich , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , cortex A8 1.2 cpu , 1 gb ram.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 17th Aug 2012 10:49
That would speed up debugging times >_<

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2012 12:24
And the OUYA is TINY!!!!!! It's the size of a rubix cube!

I live for video games! (And beers, and football, and cars!)
Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2012 13:35
Ohyea! Now only the Raspberry Pi is missing.

----------------
AGK programmer
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2012 23:10
Quote: "I signed myself up for an OUYA (but not the launch party) and am eager to see this one unfold! The basic device is Android, and AppGameKit will probably work on it out of the box. I'll be getting mine before it hits the stores (hopefully), so I'll be able to make sure any last minute signing requirements and special bits of code are in there so you can enjoy creation and playing your AppGameKit apps on a Console! No expensive third party developer license fees, no 'permission required', no 'secret short list', you will be able to code your own console game and share with your friends! How cool would that be"

Spectacular! That's all I have to say. I'm pre-ordering mine now.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 10:40:26
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 10:40:26