Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / T.ED terrain editor

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2012 21:38
using dbpro
begginer

Ive been trying to load maps from ted into dbpro for some time now.
I finally got a .dbo file working very beautifull multitextured landscape. however it is an object. so the question is is there a way to use a complex object as a terrain since tehre are no equivs of "get ground height" ect or someway to turn it into a matrix.

also ted can export lightmaps heightmaps and color maps have been unsuccesfull so far using them to creat a terrain.
it spits out a 8bit hm and a 24 bit color hm neither of with seems to look proper. along with 5 other pictures that look like all diff heightmaps. anyone here use ted and know how to to a multitextured terrain matrix export or a way to use a .x or dbo model for terrain. very little support on ted forums and all outdated post buy several years

A child's dream never dies.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 12th Aug 2012 23:44
Can you give me some code to create a quick terrain using a bmp...

I can export heightmaps with 3DWS... So if you like I can test my exports and confirm it working by sharing a video or screenshot...

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I finally got a .dbo file working very beautifull multitextured landscape. however it is an object. so the question is is there a way to use a complex object as a terrain since tehre are no equivs of "get ground height" ect or someway to turn it into a matrix."

The best way is to use a collision plugin like Sparky's Collision. This will also allow you to add collision with complex objects like trees and buildings.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=74762&b=5

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2012 08:07
Yeah... Neuro kumped ahead... I was going to suggest ray casting to get the height x and y and z I believe... Should be returned but you can manipulate this...

smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2012 17:29
mr valentine im not sure there code in db for heightmaps I'm using advanced terrain plugin that comes with dbpro not sure the code would do u any good unless it was installed on your pc

And a question for neuro is sparkys good at handeling complex objects? cause i know dbpro sucks balls at it trying to do collision on a polygon kills my framerate from 900+ to around 300 and theres no other models or code just the terrain so end result would most likly be a non functional game unless u like stop animation lol

A child's dream never dies.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2012 17:44
AT is a core functionality... ICBW...

Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2012 18:41
if your terrain is an object you can use something like this:

gosub heightcheck
position object player,playerx#,terrainheight#,playerz#

heightcheck:
terrainheight#=10000-intersect object(terrainnumber,playerx#,10000,playerz#,playerx#,-10000,playerz#)
return

I don't use TED much because it had a limited heightmap size (64) unless you use multiple blocks that leads to seam problems (so I remember).

Have a look at L3DT free for bulding good terrains and export
heightmaps and relevant supertexture.
remember to set the HM resolution to grayscale 24bit bmp

The DBP height code for DBP advanced terrain is:
th#=get terrain ground height(1,playerx#,playerz#)
Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "And a question for neuro is sparkys good at handeling complex objects? cause i know dbpro sucks balls at it trying to do collision on a polygon kills my framerate from 900+ to around 300 and theres no other models or code just the terrain so end result would most likly be a non functional game unless u like stop animation lol"

It's definitely better than the built-in dbpro collision. Also remember 300fps is still golden. I usually start to worry when it drops below 60ish.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 23:10:30
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 23:10:30