Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Intel "Ultimate Coder Challenge" Blog

Author
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2012 17:11
Read the official blog here: http://ultimatecodertgc.blogspot.co.uk/

Lead Developer of Dark Basic Pro, FPS Creator and AppGameKit (App Game Kit)
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2012 01:20
Hi Guys,

I've unlocked this thread so you can chat about my little project and provide any critique about my blog. I'll be the first to admit to being a little out of touch with blogging styles these days, and you probably have some useful feedback as I blog over the next six weeks. You are also welcome to talk about the cutting edge stuff we're working on internally for the challenge. Of course all these new AppGameKit commands will be winging there way to you in due course and if anyone is lucky enough to own an Ultrabook then there might be a demo or two to follow. It's not often I put myself in the firing line to lose a competition, but you are welcome to watch over the next six weeks as I get my butt kicked by the other contestants. It will be worth it though as it will pave the way for your apps to make it onto Metro, the integrated app experience of Windows 8. Wish me luck!

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2012 01:40 Edited at: 14th Aug 2012 01:41
Good stuff, Lee. As witty as Jane Austen and as moving as Hardy.

Good luck from all of us!

-- Jim
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2012 11:01
Good to see this sort of stuff happening again - I kinda miss the old days when you guys would keep blogs.
One thing though... you are showing a product key in one of those images.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
It had to be Intel, to get us some updated news of what is to come to AppGameKit!!!!
XanthorXIII
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks good Lee although I disagree about Win32 being done. Windows 8 is going to be another Vista mistake that Microsoft will need to fix for 9.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I disagree, Metro style is here to stay. Microsoft has put all the eggs in one basket, metro on desktops, mobiles & tablets
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2012 22:56
Sometimes I hate Microsoft. I understand that they need to make money to survive as a company. But when they redo the main OS so dramatically, it always causes problems for existing programs.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2012 00:25
Most industry spokespeople think W8 is dead before it's born.

Certainly Metro - they can't use the name!

-- Jim
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2012 08:07
Quote: "Most industry spokespeople think W8 is dead before it's born."

Their track record is to mess up every other version after all

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2012 09:52
I hope for once Microsoft can get it right first time... Hope. For the purpose of this thread can we try not to stray too far from the topic please?

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2012 12:07 Edited at: 15th Aug 2012 12:09
Is Love Hearts going to be a 3D game? It's implied but not (that I could find) explicitly stated. If it is you can bet that we'll all be watching intently.

You somehow need to include Steve's explorer hat in the game. Maybe as a prop in the image editor.

Edit-found the 3D part.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2012 12:11
Quote: "Is Love Hearts going to be a 3D game?"

There will be 3D elements to it but it will mainly be 2D.

Quote: "You somehow need to include Steve's explorer hat in the game. Maybe as a prop in the image editor."

Ha! Nice, Mr.Steve's hat is currently gathering dust in the shed I think... it isn't really in a state to be photographed

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 15th Aug 2012 18:33
Quote: "Metro"

Best not to continue using this name...

It has been ten years since XP had its changes made over win95/98 so saying a revamp after ten years is a bad thing is negatively thinking...

Back on topic, I hope to see a WinRT C# AppGameKit with 3D it would have me totally happy

also, please please please add en embedded HTML5 viewer for video ^^ [for both current and future AGKs]

Go Lee!!! whether you fail or not we all support you!

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2012 13:44
I like the blog style. Added your blog to my feed reader. Can't wait for the next post!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2012 00:59
Just read part 2. So Love Hearts is more of a social app with minigames than an actual game. I'll admit, the Wings of Love game made me ask "How did they do that?".

I also happened to notice that there was an '@' icon when selecting the messaging service. Does that mean AGK's getting email functionality as well?

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2012 17:50
Don't forget to vote for Lee. Only 5 votes so far this week:
http://software.intel.com/sites/campaigns/ultimatecoder/

Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2012 18:07
I don't know if I want to vote on such a gay app , but I vote for the hard work they do with the AppGameKit system, while making it

----------------
AGK programmer
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Love this blog!

Wish that these kind of Blogs were done for us, TGC customers so that we would have peace of mind that things are moving forward with AppGameKit and not always kept in the dark!!!
DennisW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2012 18:27
Lee

Great Work as always. With all this talk about sweets and candy. How are you going to work in the chocolate fountain with bits of candy, and such. Enjoy the read.

Dennis

Ham and Eggs Breakfast
The Chicken was involved the Pig was Committed
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh Lee, if only this were sig sized

Loved it!

swis
Interstellar
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2012 12:51
Quote: "Don't forget to vote for Lee. "

I forgot...done. They've changed it to a count now.

The judges will reveal their first thoughts soon, can't wait to read those.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2012 14:52
Quote: "I'll admit, the Wings of Love game made me ask "How did they do that?". "

It's a set of physics sprites 60 for each sin curve. I just create a new hill when needed and delete any that are too far behind. We are changing the fairy soon to make that game a little more unique. I think you'll like it!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2012 15:54
Quote: "It's a set of physics sprites 60 for each sin curve. "

I knew there'd be some clever use of mathematics involved but I didn't deduce a sin curve. Very clever!

Quote: "I think you'll like it!"

Can't wait to see it!

The Daddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2012 10:39
Lee, love the blog.

It is always interesting to read another approach and point of view regarding technical issues. Thanks for the info!

With regards to Microsoft, I think we all have a love hate relationship with them. Most of their software is bloat ware in my humble opinion and most of their dev tools try to be a solve all solution which complicates their use for the average casual coder. As for windows, I have used most versions and have liked bits of some and hated bits of others. That said when compared with the other mainstream options, iOS and Linux it is clear that they all have strengths, the openness of Linux is a great mentality, the closed attitude of iOS is frustrating to those without a MAC but does ensure that those with a MAC (for which it is aimed of course) ensures everything works and works well from what I can see.

Microsoft could take a leaf out of both of those and rather than surge for global domination surge for software excellence through simplicity. Just my little rant!

Constantly seeking!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2012 10:43
http://software.intel.com/sites/campaigns/ultimatecoder/

VOTE GUYS!!! SPREAD IT ON THE FORUM NOT JUST HERE SO FEW READERS HERE IT IS A SHAME!!!

Reading update 2 shortly...

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2012 14:03
Great stuff, Lee. Keep it up.

I got mocked for saying elsewhere that WinRT would have to use DX. Time to un-mock me!

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2012 15:38
I tried to vote, but the number would not go up. It shows Lee stuck at 1 vote!

I think the site has decided to allow only one vote per week for each IP address, or something.

Lee, your blog looks like you have a lot of challenges and are meeting them head on. Keep up the great work!

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2012 15:43
That vote was mine... also AL can you help me figure something out with Android? its my latest thread...

Looks like they messed up the site again... for the voting again...

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2012 15:53
MrValentine, I might, except I cannot find any threads started by you in the recent lists.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2012 15:56
I would have thought you knew how to use the profile button >.<

I didnt want to link this here... but...

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=199701&b=2

Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2012 15:57
I voted from several different IP addresses, lee is still on 1, I guess they are punishing us for over voting last week? :-p

----------------
AGK programmer
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2012 16:09
Something tells me that this community wasn't the only one getting behind someone. I hope that it will be judged fairly and that "public" opinion which is relatively easy to rig is not taken too heavily into account...

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2012 16:31 Edited at: 24th Aug 2012 21:23
Quote: "I guess they are punishing us for over voting last week? :-p"

SAY IT IS'NT SO!!!

I cannot believe they would fail at such a simple thing...

But I hope Lee wins it... will do really good for the companies profile!!! and I can not think of anything better than TGC getting bigger...

EDIT

Finally got the chance to read the second blog...

It reinforced my belief in Lee as being a very capable individual and I can see TGC getting only better as time goes by!

I just wish there was something I could contribute to TGCs success in future... I suppose releasing a product would suffice ^^ and place the Logo within it on load...

also so happy that Lee used that Forum edit pic in his blog haha that was sweet!

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2012 00:07 Edited at: 25th Aug 2012 00:08
Love the blog and project idea, and am always impressed by Lee's eagerness to overcome the impossible.

Question: Can you indicate how the painting feature is implemented? Are you using a single sprite via DrawSprite (without clearing the buffer) or is a new sprite generated every time you move your cursor? If the latter, would such an approach be efficient even on a mobile platform (I'm not certain what the sprite limitations are).

Quote: "Something tells me that this community wasn't the only one getting behind someone. I hope that it will be judged fairly and that "public" opinion which is relatively easy to rig is not taken too heavily into account..."

I have always hated competitions in which public opinion or overall publicity of a given product is what decides the winner. Even thinking back to the "public vote" puzzle competition at TGC many years ago, there were people who admitted casting votes for games without even trying them just because they seemed popular. Hope that isn't the case here. (I think Lee and team are taking on a heck of a lot by trying to build the app while working to bring 'Metro' support to AppGameKit at the same time.)
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2012 18:23
Currently the painting feature is creating hundreds of sprites before grab image is used. I intend to have a maximum number of allowed draw sprites which will get cleared and the main image replaced by a grab when this limit is reached.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 12:05
So are you creating lots of screen-width images? I tried to compose images off-screen and found that they just get corrupted. The only way to create an image to grab seems to be within the screen constraints...or do you have another secret?

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 14:20
Quote: "I tried to compose images off-screen and found that they just get corrupted. The only way to create an image to grab seems to be within the screen constraints...or do you have another secret?"

I've just uncovered a way to do this. I'm currently on a mac so I had to make do with tier 2, you should be able to get the gist of what I'm doing though.

So basically, this creates two sprites (one red, one green) and positions them off screen. The function getImage() will grab the image of the two sprites offscreen and return an image number. Spr3 is created from the grabbed image and positioned onscreen.

What is actually happening is I'm offsetting the Camera so that the image I'm grabbing is technically within the screen constraints however, I only update() and render() but I don't swap(). So the user doesn't see it happen. Update() updates the positions and render draws the current screen to the back buffer. The getImage() (agk's function) will grab the image from the backbuffer and then my function will reset the Camera, update() and render() again. This could be a little expensive processing wise though.

I hope all of that made sense?

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 17:03
brilliant, I love it I never considered moving the camera.

This solves a big problem for me. My app has the ability to Theme the interface. When the theme changed, it meant I had to blank the screen while the new graphics were composed.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 18:04
Quote: "So are you creating lots of screen-width images? I tried to compose images off-screen and found that they just get corrupted. The only way to create an image to grab seems to be within the screen constraints...or do you have another secret?"

No, just taking a screen grab after a certain number of sprites have been added to the scene, then delete the temporary sprites and start drawing again.

Nice idea there Hodgey, I'll remember that one!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2012 03:05
I'm glad that it helps. It's rare for me to come up with something that good.

Just incase you haven't noticed, the judges of the Intel Comp have released their first impressions so check them out.

Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2012 09:35
I'm struggling to understand what week of the compo we're in now, is not the 3'rd over? Why no new blog?

----------------
AGK programmer
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2012 11:28
Quote: "Why no new blog? "

It can take a bit of time to write up blogs the size TGC are currently writing. They're pretty long.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2012 22:12
The deadline is Monday 8PM GMT. I posted blog three at 7:54PM so six minutes to spare Hope you enjoy the blog! Don't worry too much about the Rock Vote, I think it's just a bit of fun. The winner is decided by the judges, and I have hot wired their feedback direct to my brain for the next few weeks. I'll also be meeting them at IDF next month and will possibly loan myself out as their personal slave if it will help me win.

Also, watch out for blog four next Monday which I suspect is going to be HUGE. If you only had time to read a single blog, read that one!!

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2012 22:20
I just finished reading the new blog and it looks good.

Being a long time coder, I was amused at the time lapsed video. At a few spots it appears to stop, but I suspect those were 'thinking' points.

You appear to be meeting all the challenges head-on and successfully. Also impressive.

Keep up the great work!

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Another great blog!

"This means I cannot distribute a convenient platform LIB for fellow AppGameKit users right away, but it does mean debugging becomes slightly easier."

What will be get for T2 usage then?
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2012 23:58
Better work my ass off this week!!

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2012 02:11 Edited at: 28th Aug 2012 02:13
Quote: "Better work my ass off this week!!"

We would prefer you kept it on, and used it to make yourself comfortable...

And Go Lee!!! and you too Bax er Steve!

EDIT

Week 3 was a fascinating read... I just need to make the jump to C/C++ - C# etc soon to fully grasp it...

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2012 12:25
If I'm allowed to ask, where (geographical location) are you guys developing the app? Just your normal office(s) or in some Intel laboratory?

Quote: "At a few spots it appears to stop, but I suspect those were 'thinking' points."

That or they were getting lunch, or both.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2012 12:27
Quote: "If I'm allowed to ask, where (geographical location) are you guys developing the app? Just your normal office(s) or in some Intel laboratory?"

Just in our own offices / homes. Lee was sent the prototype machine.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 16:50:20
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 16:50:20