Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Need some advice on having a good topology, also thompson revision thread.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2012 22:14 Edited at: 16th Aug 2012 22:18
Hey guys, summers gone by and I have been practicing my game creation skills(Programing, and UV mapping mostly). I have started on a Thompson mesh, and I have created one before but I wanted to do a revision off that model. (Note that I dindt redo the original thompson mesh, I created a new one instead...)

But halfway through I had some thoughts on my topology, and I am really confused as to how a nice clean topology really should look like. My goal with learning about topology is to later begin creating models that I can sell online to fund my new game project. I was hoping you guys could help explain to me how you have a nice and proffesinal topology on a mesh, is it just down to have a nice and clean set of lines of edges?

And also does my topology have to consist of one particular way of setting up vertices for example triangles, quads or bmesh?

Also on the subject of delivering high quality meshes, does everything have to be of one mesh, or can the model be split into multiple meshes(does everything have to be connected via vertices)?

Thanks for any responses to my little project, and if you are interested in my new Thompson mesh leave a comment and ill upload it for you guys to use it in your projects

Also c&c is welcome, but it's WIP so keep that in mind there is still parts that I will redo because I am not completely happy with the model yet.

EDIT: Picture attached of the new thompson.

We are the magnificent Masters, builders of pyramids.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
The Master Dinasty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2012 22:15
Old thompson, created about the start of this year.

Attachments

The Master Dinasty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2012 22:16
New thompson, tilted angle. For viewing pleasure.

Attachments

The Master Dinasty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2012 22:16
Old thompson, tilted angle.

Attachments

Frap
User Banned
Posted: 16th Aug 2012 22:41 Edited at: 16th Aug 2012 22:42
Best advice I can give that I got when I asked the same question to an old industry pro with years of experience was

Quote: "If it looks good in your game engine and doesnt break the build then its fine"

I have since found out that as long as it looks good and you have built it IN THE REQUIRED TIME SCALE then all is good. Time is money, repeat this matra to yourself every day. It doesnt matter how good your asset is if it took you 3 weeks when you only had 3 days your art lead will crucify you.

If this is for your portfolio to get your foot in the door then spend time on getting it right. Keep it nice and tidy and clean to look at.

Portfolio
My Blog
Available for weddings, bah mitz fers, funerals and freelance work.
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2012 23:28
^ Good topology is only useful when you're making something like a human, and are going to deform it with a rig or something. In that case, I'd recommend making the most geometry at the pivot joints.
Also, when making things like creatures and humans you should keep good polygon flow, because an unclean\broken polygon flow makes it hard to go back and edit or improve the model.

http://www.3dartistonline.com/user/Travis%20Gatlin
You can find my latest work here. Please comment on my work and tell me what you think!
The Master Dinasty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2012 23:31
Quote: ""If it looks good in your game engine and doesnt break the build then its fine""

Thank you I will remember that.

Quote: "Good topology is only useful when you're making something like a human"

Okay, how about things that are going to be animated(Thats what I plan to do with this model)?

Any comments on the model itself?

Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2012 02:47
The model looks nice! Good job. But animated things don't necessarily have to have good topology, unless it is a human with rigging. But if it's like a gun that needs to be animated, good topology isn't exactly necessary.

http://www.3dartistonline.com/user/Travis%20Gatlin
You can find my latest work here. Please comment on my work and tell me what you think!
The Master Dinasty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2012 13:26 Edited at: 17th Aug 2012 13:57
Quote: "The model looks nice! Good job. "

Thanks

Quote: "But animated things don't necessarily have to have good topology"

Ah, I see.

Here is an updated shot I am happy how it looks with ambient occlusion on, it really gives me an idea how it will look like with a texture. I was a little worried but I am happy with most of the model now. Now starts the endless pain of uv-unwrapping, I still haven't mastered it. But hey this is my most complete model to date so its progress. And it's really fun to see how I have progressed, when I think about it, this is the fourth gun I have made.

EDIT: Final image attached.

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 23:47:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 23:47:45