Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Home Tutoring?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
As much as there are books, guides and online tutorials, what is already written sometimes can't help if itr just won't work. Also it's a bit difficult to find the right help or know if you're doing it right. But if the forums don't already have the threads you need then you have to ask and it can happen all over again with a new obstical through progress.

Most of the time I just wish a person, preferably to my right side and knows DBPro much better than I do, telling me what am I doing wrong or what to do next.

Is there such thing as private home tutors who teach how to use DBPro or make games? Even though there is perhaps none in my area. I just wanna know if anyone else teaches DBPro personally thna virtually.
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2012 05:10
Quote: "Is there such thing as private home tutors who teach how to use DBPro or make games?"

Not likely for DBP but possibly for more popular languages such as Java, C/C++, C#, VB etc. A programming course would probably be better.

Quote: " Also it's a bit difficult to find the right help or know if you're doing it right. But if the forums don't already have the threads you need then you have to ask and it can happen all over again with a new obstical through progress."

This might be an indication that your current project is a bit beyond your skill level. If you keep running into problems, it might be best to pick an easier project and then come back to this one later. You'd be surprised in what you can learn when writing simple games. I rewrote Asteroids about 4 times and in each version I could see the evolution in my programming skills. I went from using dozens of individual variables to an array and a couple of UDTs.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 18th Aug 2012 05:34
If you have access to YouTube (Isay it so as you may be in a country llike China which restricts access in most of its parts... As we do not know where you are from)

If you can access YouTube then search for "DCFOREMANUK" his channel has some introductions... And may help as he walks through creating actual games...

Or try TDKs Tutorials here on the forum... Use the search box at the bottom for a forum search (not the left one saying thread search) and you should find it...

If you like you can request example videos from me and if I know how to do that what you seek I should be able to make a quick video...

And regarding virtually... Skype is a good option as it features screen sharing... Perhaps ask for that here too

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I have home tutored DB before. I'm in the Lichfield area.

Mystic Monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "This might be an indication that your current project is a bit beyond your skill level. If you keep running into problems, it might be best to pick an easier project and then come back to this one later."

I always thought making a basic 3D game engine would be easy though and something I can use over and over since most third-person games have simular cameras and movements.

Quote: "If you can access YouTube then search for "DCFOREMANUK" his channel has some introductions... And may help as he walks through creating actual games..."

I seen some of his tutorials, though the text is a bit blurry and some of his tutorials are quiet.

Quote: "Or try TDKs Tutorials here on the forum... Use the search box at the bottom for a forum search (not the left one saying thread search) and you should find it..."

I'll take a look round. The tutorials provided on DarkBASIC's page has also bene helpful to me to understand the basics.

Quote: "If you like you can request example videos from me and if I know how to do that what you seek I should be able to make a quick video..."

That be great please.

Quote: "I have home tutored DB before. I'm in the Lichfield area."

I live in Mid-Wales though.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2012 20:59
Quote: "That be great please."

request away ^^ maybe it might be easier if I made a request thread?

miso
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2012 23:51
I could also answer some questions for you time to time, if you use a messenger.

No place like 127.0.0.1 .
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2012 02:16
Quote: "I always thought making a basic 3D game engine would be easy though and something I can use over and over since most third-person games have simular cameras and movements."

Well, it's up to you to make the call of whether it's too hard or not right now.

Back to the tutoring conundrum, tutorials, books and courses will help you but there's only so much content that they can teach you, the rest you'll learn comes from the projects you do yourself.

Dragon slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2012 04:25
Mystic Monkey

I have been around longer than my profile says. I had to rejoin once because somehow my login info got screwed up but I have been around since the begining, at least since the end of 99 or begining of 2000. I never took the time to learn this properly. I wanted to jump into the 3D right away. I have had cubes moving around on a matrix and have done some things like that but never learned the basics, would get discouraged then move on to something like FPSC, C++ 3D graphics etc... So here is some advice!!!

I just recently purchased Hands On Dark Basic Pro Volume 1 and am moving right along learning the basics first. That book is the best investment I have made to learn DBP. There is a hard cover book for around $42.00 which I purched by accident. I wanted the online downladable PDF version which I also purchased. I have puchased some other books and these hands on books blow everything else away!!!

You can get these books at

http://www.digitalskills.com

They also have a good hands on book about modeling and animating with Milkshape which I bought.

I thought and tried off and on for years to learn to program with this language and some others by only learning bits and pieces here and there and only what interested me. You have to start at the begining from page one and learn the boring stuff before you can get to the good stuff.

Text commands and screen display stuff never really interested me, for that matter 2D never interested me but since I started at the very begining and started studying hard and making sure I understand it is very interesting. It opens your eyes to all the possibilites and you start realizing more how it all works togerher With the good stuff you will learn in the future.

I can't wait to get to the 3D stuff but I will make sure I understand the basics first. I also have an idea for a 2D game I would like to try to make along the lines of a game I played years ago called phantasia. I also want to build a lottery number generating program which I may start very soon. I will probably do a post on that so every one that wants to can follow along and see how the program will evolve as I get better at this. I have some plans for that program. At the very begining all it will be is a rendom number generator. When it is finished I hope to have it go to the lottery website, Pull the last month of winning numbers and then give you the numbers that come up the most so you can play those numbers in your local lottery. It will eventually have colored background and text, a menu system tell you when and what time the drawings are etc...

Well that is my 2 cents I think those hands on books are well worth the money. The DBP online books are about $24 something and the Milkshape book was $19 and some change. Well worth it books!!!

Dragonslayer
Dragon slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2012 04:32
Pincho Paxton

Are you talking about Litchfield Illinois? If so I am from the Kankakee area (Bourbonnais). I am a truck driver and I haul steel between St. Louis and the Chicago and Gary Indianana area so I am down that way every other day during the week.
Dragon slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2012 04:45
You can also try the begenners guide that you can get in the stickies at the top of this board. It has some pretty good stuff including making a space invaders game and a zork type game.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Lichfield England. A sort of Tudor town.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2012 11:51 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2012 12:23
I'd be willing to help out if you want. It would just have to be over Skype because I live in Switzerland among Swissy Swiss people with cheese and cows and stuff, but I'd have no problem with slotting in some sessions. My idea would be to do screen sharing (so I can see what you're doing) and I could point out things for you and help you along (with verbal communication that is).

Just some notes on my personality when it comes to teaching people things, I'm very patient (you'll never see me flip out or anything), I'm a good listener and I'm understanding, so you should not fear to ask me anything you want (at least not until I invent a way to slap people over skype), and I don't spoon-feed people or do any of their work, otherwise they don't learn.

Don't expect any less than the most intensive coding sessions on the north side of Switzerland though, by the time I'm through with you you'll be eating code for breakfast and vomiting game engines.

Sound appealing? Hopefully. You may accept or deny it as you wish.

TheComet

"if you don't understand recursion than you probably don't understand recursion." ~Jerico2day
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2012 14:54
I made my first EEV about a week ago, hope to get come crits aside from the MIC, I have a new setup since then so dont bother saying anything about it >.< but some advice over things to mention and such maybe...

I can make these videos quite easily so anybody want something web or coding wise, just ask away I might make a request thread or site soon...

TheComet, I like the sound of that >.< men det er fordi jeg forstaa det haha... oh well only because I understand it lol

Mystic Monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry I been absent for a bit, I read all post so no need for me to make many quotes.

Digital Skillz sounds like a good move for me as to have actual books will be nice.

I don't have Skype but I do have Messenger.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2012 19:24
Quote: "I don't have Skype but I do have Messenger."

Oooh, messenger... The last time I installed that it screwed up my computer, and then I couldn't even use it. I highly recommend you get skype, it's much easier to use.

TheComet

"if you don't understand recursion than you probably don't understand recursion." ~Jerico2day
Mystic Monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Oooh, messenger... The last time I installed that it screwed up my computer,"

I have Steam, I play a lot of Team Fortress and I chat with it.
Mystic Monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
It's just Skype's a bit iffy with me. I mostly use Messenger and Steam's chat as an alternative. I hope any of these can help.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2012 00:30
Hmm, I really only have Skype, and I feel ashamed for not having Steam. Do you have Team Speak 3?

TheComet

Mystic Monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
I am not familiar with that chat system. Im usually used to Messenger and my computer had it's hayday with just under 2GB left to make most of.
Mystic Monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
I guess Steams a no then?
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2012 18:05
TeamViewer is nice for remote desktop viewing. Quick help if you need to look at someone's code.

"You're not going crazy. You're going sane in a crazy world!" ~Tick
Mystic Monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Is TeamViewer usually used by the GameCreators community?
darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Mystic Monkey,

If you need any tutoring just add me. I use msn messager. Look under my name where it says EMAIL. Put your mouse on it to see my email.

I will have you making FPS Doom 3 like games before you know it.

darkvee

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 03:05:21
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 03:05:21