Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [X9] Canalyst: Forgotten Paths

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2012 12:18 Edited at: 20th Aug 2013 11:28

(Canalyst: Forgotten Paths)

>> WATCH THE GAMEPLAY TRAILER <<

>> WATCH THE STORY TEASER TRAILER <<

Foreword:
Good day everyone! Allow me to present the Sector49 team's new creation with FPS Creator. Also we celebrate Canalyst's THIRD BIRTHDAY!
Oh well, it's called "Canalyst" again. Now you might ask, what has happened to the "good ol' Canalyst". After the second demo release we worked further on the levels. Level 6 was almost finished and we needed new ideas for the next steps. Something big was planned (telling you the idea would go way over the limit of this foreword ). To make this short, something like this wasn't possible in FPS Creator, even with a huge sourcecode modification. And without this "idea" the story of the game wouldn't have been able to progress like it was planned. So we decided to cancel the project after two and a half years of development. We looked to utilize a new engine and port the game, but a new engine would mean that we would have to learn and stop developing for several months. So we got back to FPS Creator and would like to start off with a whole new project. But this time, not that huge. We worked on the gamedesign document for this in the past few months and a few days ago I started to work on the first level. This time we have Tim (Doomster) with us in the boat for level design besides his other jobs which will likely speed up the development.

OK, then let's get to the rudimentary stuff.

Developer:
Sector49

Genre:
Survival Horror First Person Shooter

Storyline:
In the end of the first story, Sergey managed to get out of Moscow's underground. But on his way he took out many of the defense systems of the people, turned them off, broke them and left most of the doors and other openings opened making it easy for monsters, which are a direct danger for the people, as well as the slowly approaching radiation from above to show their destructive power and eliminating the small rest of the civilization in Moscow, maybe even of the whole world. Therefor Sergey's uncle, the leader of an underground colony puts together a squad of veterans. These men have the task to find Sergey, eliminate as much of the monsters as possible and, and that is the most important task, at any cost activate all defense systems and close all openings that allow the dangerous monsters to come for the last people on our planet. You play as one of these mercenaries. But something in the organization of the mission goes wrong and your epuipment is missing and then on the march through a metro tunnel, the squad is attacked by a wave of monsters. You lose the squad and the radio won't work.

Now you are alone. You have the same goal, but now, you have your own way into hell.

Description:
The story takes place about a week after the end of the first story, when Sergey came out of the underground and the attacks of the monsters have dramatically increased.
This game takes a slightly different approach at the first-person-shooter, than the first game. This time we will make you think and spend time, rather than run through the levels in Serious Sam style. While in the first game the goal at the end would have been purely egoistic, this time you do something good for the people around you. Well, at the end of the day you are a mercenary and you will be paid a lot of money.
Something about the horror aspect: We want to scare you. Much.

Now I'll give you a little breakdown of the planned featues right now.

Features:
- Own sourcecode modification. (Based on FPSC 1.17)
- Interesting and unique level-design.
- Unique soundset. (Music will come later)
- Many, many custom assets. (Segments, entities, scripts, etc.)
- Storytelling using cutscenes.
- Dark, frightening atmosphere. (We are talking about a Horror game here )
- Russian voice-acting (subtitles in English and German)

Planned release:

Screenshots:

http://sector49.pf-control.de/canalyst_fp/screenshots/canalyst_fp1.png
http://sector49.pf-control.de/canalyst_fp/screenshots/canalyst_fp3.png
http://sector49.pf-control.de/canalyst_fp/screenshots/canalyst_fp4.jpg

Trailers:

Contact us:
http://www.sector49.net/
or
sector.49@live.de

Like us and follow us:
http://facebook.com/sector49

http://twitter.com/sector49

Canalyst: Forgotten Paths is also on IndieDB:
http://indiedb.com/games/canalyst-forgotten-paths

So, now we hope to get many views and comments and wish you all the best!

Greetings,
Jan

Canalyst developer! Skype name: thek491
Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
amazing! looks like a AA game! trailer is very good! i would wait nervous for a download! Hope so there will be one!

A new fan!

Corno

Yes, i´m a noob, but i like it
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=196656&b=24
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2012 15:35
Looks good. Happy to see a fellow developer using v1.17. Now we don't feel so alone anymore.

Twitter: @NFoxMedia
DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't like it. [Jk ] Great to see you here!

------
Braden 713
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2012 20:22
Looks great so far, the story is simple yet still intriguing, and the trailer was very well made. I really enjoyed playing Metro 2033, this reminds me of it in a lot of good ways! Excited to see more progress

Life would be much easier if I had the source code.
Dark Evenger
Years of Service
User Offline
awesome job guys nice to see good projects like this.

best regards dark_evenger

Молодцы ребята, я рад видеть, что русская община начинает делать хорошие проекты. Мы можем поделиться нашими знаниями о CREATOR FPS? Я хотел бы войти в контакт с вами.

сердечно dark_evenger
Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2012 22:03
Thats just awesome!

TheK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2012 19:17
Hello everyone!

Thank you all very much for your kind words. I only now got to write something here, was a little too busy in the last few days.

BlackFox, we are still using FPSC 1.17, because since 1.18 many features were implemented which is good, but in the end they are using up too much memory and we don't want users to have problems when playing the game later. When we notice that FPSC 1.20 (or later) uses up less memory than 1.17, we will use the new versions.

DarkJames, you were away for pretty long time, were you? Anyway, nice to see you here, too!

Braden 713, thank you, more cool stuff about to come.

Dark Evenger, thanks, just get in touch with me over Skype or email.

Cyborg ART, thank you.

Well, thanks again for the nice comments and what else can I say than to like, follow, subscribe us and I'll see you next time.

Greetings,
Jan

Skype name: thek491
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2012 03:09
How did you get the camera the way you did? was is a source mod or something? or purely just editing in some nice video-making software? I thought that was really cool.

Kinda makes me wish that the player head movement was more realistic, like very subtle shifts from side to side and up and down etc... it would make environments seem more dynamic.

[/href]

++New Products Being Uploaded++
maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2012 11:17
trailer looks and feels very good. you can see that you are working on that title for a long time now, and it pays off. very nice work.

TheK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2012 09:52 Edited at: 25th Aug 2012 09:52
Hey there,

Hamburger, I edited the trailer in After Effects CS5. These scenes are all taken ingame in FPS Creator, but some of them are heavily edited (the first two stood pretty much the same as the original). We took footage that is way bigger than 1920x1080 to rotate it, so it feels a little bit more natural. Also there is keyed in stuff. However, we plan to implement some nice head bobbing into our modification a little later.

maho76, thank you very much. Nice project you have going on, too.

Greetings,
Jan

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 23:43
Quote: "BlackFox, we are still using FPSC 1.17, because since 1.18 many features were implemented which is good, but in the end they are using up too much memory and we don't want users to have problems when playing the game later. When we notice that FPSC 1.20 (or later) uses up less memory than 1.17, we will use the new versions."

We're the opposite. We decided to remain in v1.17 and will port in what we want from the newer versions. Besides, we just spend a chunk of time rewriting the code into a clear semblance of order. Things are much easier to find, add, remove, etc. Plus, we're not wanting to have to rebuild entire developments just to use a newer version.

The trailer looks great, and we'll be looking forward to seeing more of this project. All the best from the Fox Den.

Twitter: @NFoxMedia
ladas51
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow looks awesome. How did you managed to do the animations? They look very good. Once again congratulation, keep up the good work. I think we all expect to see more amazing stuff from you after this trailer.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 12th Dec 2012 15:36
-------> <-------

That is all I can say!

TheK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2012 16:53 Edited at: 13th Dec 2012 16:55
Hey you two,

wow, someone found the thread again. I was pretty surprised that there was so little feedback back then in August. In the last month or so I had only very little time, but the work on this title is going on.

ladas51, thank you! The trailer is completely made from videos captured right in the engine. The animations were made in Milkshape (they look a little stiff, but I did the best I could ). After the capturing of the scenes the editing was done in After Effects. The only things I had to key into the footage was the pistol with the hand taking it out of the debris and the two arms on the wheel on the door at the end. Other editing was lens-flares, camera movement and slight color changes. I tried to make it look as original as I could.

MrValentine, is that disgust you are showing to us?

Stay tuned, there will be a neat screenshot up by christmas. No wallpaper this time I think (or?)...

Greetings,
Jan

http://www.sector49.net/ - Canalyst developer!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 13th Dec 2012 18:17
Quote: "MrValentine, is that disgust you are showing to us?"

Yes it is!, I am so disgusted that I was unable to say how much I love the project XD

Good job man! Keeping my eyes on this

TheK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2012 00:53 Edited at: 24th Dec 2012 15:19
Hello guys,

so the world didn't end, but my teammates and me are still working to bring it to your screens at your home.
As promised on Twitter, today is screenshot-time! Well, this time we can't give you a wallpaper as we used to do (we might roll one out a little later), but for now these two awesome screenshots from the first level should do the job.

http://sector49.pf-control.de/canalyst_fp/screenshots/canalyst_fp3.png

Have a nice holiday and a merry, merry christmas!

Greetings,
Tim, Wray and Jan

Follow us, like us, whatever us!

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2012 22:41
Looking awesome, really looks like the FPSC version of Metro 2033 And that is of course a compliment.

TheK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2012 21:06 Edited at: 26th Dec 2012 21:08
Hello there,

thank you Metal Devil!

I just edited the "Games" site on our website and filled it with info and the three screenshots from above. It actually looks awesome!

http://www.sector49.net/games.html

Come on guys and girls! Let the comments roll! I want to know what you think about the game!

Greetings,
Jan

EDIT: Put exact link to the Games-site.

Pain
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2012 22:37
my Trend Micro blocked your link at work. I will look when I get home some time tonight.

Looks Fantastic!! I really like the work you put into it. It stands out.

PAIN!

Me = noob

and i love The TGC : )
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2012 10:15
@TheK: Your work has always been an inspiration for me! Your way of bringing your vision to life despite the many flaws and limitations of FPSC and your discipline to hold on to canalyst through the years is remarkable. You can concider the weapons I made for you as a gift. May way to support you and your project.

-Wolf

TheK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2013 10:06
Hello Wolf,

nice to hear that from you! And also a huge thanks for the weapons. I think, they will give the game the last detail to make the atmosphere completely immersive. I hope to work more with you on this project and maybe your future projects, too.

Greetings,
Jan

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2013 05:21
Posted to unlock.

-Keith

TheK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2013 08:42 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2013 09:07
Hey there,

thank you, Keith! Appreciate it.
Soon I will have something exciting to show off from our current project here. Please keep an eye on Twitter, Facebook and last but not least, Game Dev Underground, BULLSHOCK's new game marketing platform, for anything new Canalyst-related.

http://gamedevunderground.com/game/shooter/canalyst

Greetings,
Jan

TheK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2013 01:25
Greetings earthlings!

As promised on Twitter and Facebook, it's screenshot time again and good lord how long it took to figure everything out so I could show you that nice panorama of level 2!

And also this screenshot: http://sector49.pf-control.de/canalyst_fp/screenshots/canalyst_fp4.jpg

In the next week or two I will post some more information on level 2. Stay tuned and if you like, follow us on Twitter and like on Facebook to get the news right where you are active.

Greetings,
Jan

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2013 02:51
Glad to see this is still being worked on - this one one of my favorite wip threads

Also how did you do that panorama shot? that was cool...

Looking good!

[/href]
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2013 07:39
Hey, this looks awesome! I'm also glad you're still working on it, one of my favorite WIPs too.

TheK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2013 19:29
Hey guys,

well, as the forum seems to lack some fingers to respond to the screenshots, maybe this will get you out of your hibernation.

I have a little announcement, which should have come yesterday, but nevermind. Canalyst becomes four years old! Well, at least the name and the setting. Still, Canalyst: Forgotten Paths has had its debut a year ago.

To celebrate this, we want to show you a trailer (yes, motion picture) of level two, which we have the neat panorama from.
It features about five minutes of unedited and uncut in-game footage! I only appended the logos and texts at the beginning and ending.

Well, in the name of the whole team, I hope that you like what you see. Have a nice day!

Greetings,
Jan

Contact us: sector.49 [at] live.de
Be social! Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our Youtube channel!

Doomster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2013 03:36 Edited at: 20th Aug 2013 03:40
Lookin' splendid, excellent work on the video editing once again.

Quote: "how did you do that panorama shot"

Taking dozens of screenshots, running them through some Photoshop addon and probably one or two headaches in the process. TheK, come on, share some helpful information here.

-Doomster
PixelF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2013 04:22
Incredible gameplay video! Has smooth gameplay and looks well thought out, keep up the great work!

www.pixeleater.me
Register now to become a reasonably intelligent human being!
TheK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2013 08:21 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2013 01:03
Hey there,

Doomster, well, thank you! You work on this, too. You can actually give yourself a pat on the shoulder.

PixelF, thank you very much. We'll take a little break, see the comments and so on and then get back to work.

Hamburger, the panorama is stitched from 9 screenshots, I took from a build. It was assembled in Hugin, which has proven itself as being better than Photoshop. Figuring out that I needed to take more screenshots to get a rectangle output that was big enough was the harder part, which took me some time to figure out. I don't know why to be honest. I then corrected some stitching errors in Gimp.

Well, hopefully today, some more people will comment. I want to know your opinions!

Greetings,
Jan

Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2013 08:43
I liked the gameplay, it felt smooth and atmospheric. I will admit the crackling of the radiation detector got a little annoying. It was creative how the plank was used to block the fan, but honestly I wouldn't have thought of that myself (as a player). I was reminded of Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light when watching this.

- An Instinctive Fear IndieDB page, download the demo today!
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2013 16:16
That was just incredible. The gun animation when you picked it up was amazing, the level design seems great and the sound design is also top notch. Some may not like the radiation detector noise, but I think it's just fitting for the scene. The whole feeling of the trailer is dreary and the end to it got me waiting for more. I can't wait to play this! 2014 can't come too soon!

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2013 18:12
That was actually really suspenseful!

Its insanely well done and makes me want to go back to designing a horror game

And...my little gun...it lives!! Muhahahahahaaa! *thunderroll*
Great animation, by the way

-Wolf

http://www.serygalacaffeine.com
"absurdity has become necessity"
Illusion
Years of Service
User Offline
Really amazing gameplay, the video had me shaking in my slippers, great job on the suspense and everything else!

New account, have been around for a while!
PixelF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2013 01:22
Also, I forgot to mention, The radiation noise does get a bit annoying. In my opinion, lowering the volume on it would be a little better.

www.pixeleater.me
Register now to become a reasonably intelligent human being!
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Whether you meant for it to or not, the level gave a HL2 vibe in a way. I really liked the atmosphere you've built for the opening of the level. I agree with what others have said in reference to the radiation noise. I would turn the volume down on it or something to compensate for it.

Really impressive though! Perhaps this is a game that will reach over into FPSCR! I would love to see more!

The Birds - A narrated adventure.
Escape The Bunker: 1945 - A Much Needed Remake
TheK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2013 17:11
Hello everyone!

Well, I think, you are right and I turned down the volume on the ticking of the geiger counter. Also I edited all the sounds, so they now don't sound so "loopy" anymore. And thank you for the kind words.

And also a special thanks to you all, as you gave the game another cool gameplay element. After talking to Doomster, we will implement turning off and on the geiger counter. You will still see the postprocessing going on, but no ticking at all - if you want so. Problem is, you don't really know how close you might be to the source of radiation, so if you aren't careful with turning that thing off, you are likely to encounter a relatively quick death. The damage output is based on the distance to that source and this can be literally anything.

OK, so my break after the trailer is over. Let's get back to work! Soon, I'll have another awesome thing to announce, more about that in a few days.

Greetings,
Jan

Turkeygaming
Years of Service
User Offline
is very very perfect .. please ;

blub model download link ?

Don't english langue contry turkey.
TheK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2013 23:31
Hey there,

thanks for your interest! The bulb is integrated into the ceiling, which you can get for free in my suspended ceiling pack.

Grab it here: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=201958

But please, don't let this thread become a "Where did you get this and that?"-thread. There's e-mail for this.

Greetings,
Jan

Turkeygaming
Years of Service
User Offline
Oww is very thanks you.. !!!

Don't english langue contry turkey.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2013 10:23
that gameplay video was awesome. people lately are really pushing what FPSC is capable of as we prepare for reloaded and you're definitely on the forefront of that trend.

Hire Me! I model, animate, cook, clean, and texture!
TheK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2013 23:19 Edited at: 8th Sep 2013 23:20
Hello there,

thank you Bugsy! You know that we try.

I want to push this thread with two news now.

First of all, the same procedure as every year, James. I have updated our website with an all new design, to keep up with the webdesign trends and just, so it isn't that boring... I think, it turned out pretty darn good.

Anyway, you can view it here:http://www.sector49.net/

Also I have another announcement that might be of more interest for you guys. We have got a new team member! And what a "newcomer" - he's on to every dodge and probably knows more about FPSC than we all together do. It's Wolf.

He already is mentioned on the new website and will enrich the game with his awesome skillset and ideas. First of all he will focus on enhancing textures and then we'll see what other awesome stuff he could make, like sounds, 3D models and I don't know what. Either way he will really help to enhance the quality of the game. Thank you!

Now we're four...

Greetings,
Jan

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2013 14:29
New website looks great!

It all blends nicely, one thing I noticed though, I can't scroll using the mouse wheel. Might just be my machine.....(old work PC - Win XP, 1GB, 1.7Ghz Sempron)

I will try it again on my own machine at home later and report back.

Gald to hear that Wolf has joined the Sector49 family! I am sure great things will come from you all. You have a very powerful team there!

Unfamillia

TheK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 10:40 Edited at: 31st Oct 2013 13:14
Hello everyone,

today, most parts of the world celebrate Halloween and so we do, too. Introducing a new screenshot from level two...

http://sector49.pf-control.de/canalyst_fp/screenshots/canalyst_fp6.png

... and our obligatory seasonal wallpaper, Halloween 2013 edition!

Every year the same monsters, but every year they do something else. Dressed as the weapon trader team with the big guy in the center being the boss, they want your sweets and if they don't get them... Well... Run, because the weapons are real.

We wish you an awesome time, have a great day and off we go until next time!

Greetings,
Jan

Contact us: sector.49 [at] live.de
Be social! Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our Youtube channel!

EDIT:
Thank you, unfamillia. I chose to leave out the mousewheel, because of the navigation bar which stays at one position. This way I can control where the viewer goes, allowing to put all the information on one webpage.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 02:53:27
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 02:53:27