Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [X9] Impuzzable

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2012 01:22 Edited at: 12th Jan 2013 01:21

UPDATED - 12/01/2013

There is NO story line for this, it is merely a first person puzzle extravaganza!

The obligatory in game screen shots.

NEW IMAGES

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask; i always welcome comments!

Also, if you do download it and play it, please do leave a comment. I really enjoyed making this and would like to know if people would be interested in seeing more levels?

NEWEST DOWNLOAD (12/01/2013)

Cheers

Unfamillia

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 19th Aug 2012 02:24
This reminds me of Mario Kart on the S.N.E.S...

The Nerevar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2012 02:25
wow! this is creative! it reminds me of marble blaster! except its in first person. this really steps aside from all of the horror games!

and of course I want to see more levels!

but sorry, I'm no good with making up names.

I'm familiar with this, but I'm still learning!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 19th Aug 2012 03:03
How about...

JumFuzzle [JumpFuzzle]

MaFuzzle [MapFuzzle]

My only irritating thing about it is the jumps are a bit tricky like one jump is easy second jump it seems even though I hit surface it does not jump and I slide off...

but yeah it reminds me of... Klonoa?B
And you really know how to use X9!

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2012 05:42
awesome concept- simple but addicting. I wouldn't quit until I beat it. the only issue is the player's jump height/distance. it's absolutely ridiculous and instead of having to time jumps right to make it to the next object, you find yourself laughably overshooting. it almost encourages people who are bad at platforming. I will always be a traceur at heart, and feel like the mirror's edge style of "jump at the very last step on the precipice of the ledge" is the best way to do platforming, as it demands skill.

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2012 02:38
Thanks for all the comments guys.

I have amended the jump speed, distance, so, you don't feel like you are constantly over jumping.

I have crushed a few bugs along the way also.

AAAAND! I have added a third level! More to follow soon!

Just to wet your appetite; there will be animated models, buttons to push, things to avoid, items to collect......the list goes on!

Grab the new download and try the third level. Let me know your thoughts.

Unfamillia

Download in first post.

[url=www.touchoffear.webs.com][/url]
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2012 10:52
Sorry for a double post.

When a MOD takes a nosey around these parts, would you be as kind as to change the title of this thread to [X9] Impuzzable

Thank you kind MOD.....whoever you may be.

Unfamillia

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2012 18:30
Done
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2012 18:34
Thanks Uman.

Have you tried my game? You might like it?

Unfamillia

maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2012 18:53
^^ the sky & color scheme is soooo... sweet? awesome? bubble-cloudish? great!

no zombies? nazis? cool.

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2012 19:15
We love it!!! The concept and layout are great, and the "platform" method is a nice change. Great job, and we wish you well with this development.

Twitter: @NFoxMedia
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2012 19:37
@maho76

Thanks, i am glad you like it. I tried to steer clear of the usual games on the forums. I wanted to do something a little different.

@ The Fox's

Thanks for the comment guys. I have created another level with some juicy extra's involved! I will be uploading soon. I am in discussions with Ched80 trying to sort out a script to re spawn all entities once the player dies! I think he has some idea's. As soon as that is sorted, i will update the download with the 4 level demo.

@everyone following this thread,

The textures are just place holders at the moment and i will be updating them accordingly as soon as i have made sure that all the dynamics of the game and the FPS are exactly how i want them.

Unfamillia.

maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2012 11:57
sorry but i have to post this... so cute.^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOuVKxzW4Do

That Guy John
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2012 02:56
This is a way different approach to FPSC, I like it!
The bass is hittin too!

And Here Is A Penguin:
FPSC OneSource [DeskTop App] - Bringing everything together into one.
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2012 14:19
@That Guy John

Thanks for the comment.

This was only ever meant as a tech demo to see what i could do differently. I have - since upgrading to V1.20.03 - made the fpm's for this game become corrupt.

But, i still have all the media for them. I shall be remaking this in more detail.

However, this might be taking a back seat for now as i really want to get back to work on my other game Touch of Fear.

Unfamillia

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2012 03:12
Ok,

after some serious deliberation, i have decided to work on this game a little more. I thouroughly enjoyed making this, so, i thought i would continue work on it.

I have readdressed the whole game and have given it a brand new feel and look. (when i say brand new; its not that different!)

anyway, play it and let me know what you think.

1) Are the puzzles too hard?
2) How does it play?
3) What could be changed/added to make it better

Download

Unfamillia

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2012 20:20
We tried the new download, but can't play it. It decrypts in Vishnu then crashes both on our desktop (Win 7 32bit) and laptops (Vista and Win 7 64bit). Curious if any others are having issues.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2012 20:28 Edited at: 1st Nov 2012 21:54
I have had these issues before with Vishnu. I will re pack it in an hour or so, (just bathing the kids and putting them to bed). I will post again once I have updated the download. Thanks for the heads up.

Unfamillia

EDIT - Ok, i have re packed it and have tested it myself to make sure that it will open properly. Sometimes with Vishnu, if you change the icon, it causes issues.

Download

Enjoy.

Oh, if you do download this, please do leave feedback. I need to know if the puzzles are too hard/too easy etc.

Download also in the first post.

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2012 00:10
Wow. A great improvement over the first release. My 3 year old was watching and thought it was a new Mario game (we just introduced him to Mario on the SNES) and liked it. The graphics are good, the visuals are great. I have seen no issues on the first couple levels- had to save and get supper ready, but will be playing later and showing Mrs Fox.

I can sense a great number of series being created from this.

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2012 01:00
Thanks for the positive words so far. Glad you and your cub liked it.

This is just the first 5 levels (training basically) as you stated, there will be more to come!

Did you like the intro video? Thats my 16 month old daughters voice on the logo intro.

Unfamillia

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2012 01:36
Quote: "Did you like the intro video? Thats my 16 month old daughters voice on the logo intro."

I did notice the intro video- we liked it. We've had our kids involved with developments, and nice to see another developer that involves their family in the design process.

We look forward to watching this development progress.

science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
hey there unfamillia, sadly i just moved from preston, could of bought you a beer and talked ggek, alas not to be. this looks very fun indeed, gotta have a go when its fully finished

nice to see you still on the boards

an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2012 01:45
@Blackfox,

The video of which i speak is only very short and plays before the menu appears. Our daughters favourite word currently is 'Dirty' and she makes the funniest noise when you ask her what a pig says; which lead me to call my 'design studio' Dirty Pig Studios. (all in fun of course - i'm not claiming to be an actual design studio!) haha.

@science Boy

Thats a shame you didn't notice my location sooner. Would have been good to meet up with a fellow FPSC user! where abouts did you move to?

Why wait for the full thing, the download is up for the demo, sample that and tell me what you like and what you don't. I would appreciate your feedback.

I am watching your WIP thread with awe! It kind of makes me miss X10, but, some of the scripting commands i need are only found in X9, plus the use of post effect scriptable shaders is a nice touch.

Thanks for the comments anyway.

Just need someone to tell if they find it too hard or too easy now so i can progress the way i am going or if i need to step it up a notch!

Unfamillia

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2012 03:15
Quote: "Just need someone to tell if they find it too hard or too easy now so i can progress the way i am going or if i need to step it up a notch!"

I think it depends on who is playing. For those of us that play FPS games, it might be easy compared to those first time players to the game. The intro is just fine as it is- gives good instructions and helps to prepare the player for game play.

You could alter it by allowing for "level of difficulty" settings. For example, after the introduction training, the player can choose from a hud their level- easy, medium, hard. Depending on their choice can set specific variables to values those level require. If they choose easy, perhaps an extra "jump zone" or other item(s) to help spawn whereas if they choose "hard" then certain areas require some thought (have to go a different way as a jump zone that would be there for easy is not there). Does that make sense?

I think you have a good start and could really expand on it. A good game needs a solid foundation, which we believe you have established.

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2012 14:16
@Blackfox

Quote: "I think it depends on who is playing."

This is true. I think i always assume that everyone that plays my games will already have an understanding of FPS games; which is obviously not the case.

How hard would it be to implement a difficulty setting? The zones themselves are segments and are controlled by using trigger zones. Is it possible to make segments appear using variables?

I just thought, to make it harder, i could use variables to give the player less lives at the beginning and maybe give every level a timer?

Have you or any of the rest of the fox pack any ideas on other 'zones' that i could include? I was thinking of trying to make a zero gravity zone, but, i had no idea where to start.

Anyway, thanks for the comments, it means a lot to get feedback.

Unfamillia

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2012 16:55
Quote: "How hard would it be to implement a difficulty setting? The zones themselves are segments and are controlled by using trigger zones."

You could implement a difficulty setting by trigger and hud. By selecting the key to select easy/medium/hard, you can set a variable called "settings" to your value (easy=1, medium=2, hard=3). For example:

As I mentioned earlier, depending on the selection determines what could appear/not appear in the level. Say you have that room with the "jump zone". It took me a couple tries to reach the platform and go to the next part. If they select "easy", then perhaps an extra "jump zone" closer to the platform could be available in that level. Or other "zones" appear to help the easy settings. In hard, the "jump zone" could remain where it is originally. Follow?

Quote: "Is it possible to make segments appear using variables?
"

No, but you could change from segments to entities. You take a floor mesh and make it into an entity, then place the texture for the zone on it. Now your segment zone becomes an entity zone and can be spawned according to the settings variable. We did that in our developments- took wall segments to create entities so they could be spawned/destroyed depending on game play and what the player did/did not do. The trick is to remember to have collision on so the player does not fall through it, and you can eliminate triggers and have the floor zone entity (dynamic) run the script.

Quote: "I just thought, to make it harder, i could use variables to give the player less lives at the beginning and maybe give every level a timer?"

That would work as well. By using variables, you could create multiple possibilities to make it easy or hard for the player.

Quote: "Have you or any of the rest of the fox pack any ideas on other 'zones' that i could include? I was thinking of trying to make a zero gravity zone, but, i had no idea where to start. "

To make your zones, you have to work within the confines of the engine and what it has (version dependent). If you can enable/disable gravity, that is a start.

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2012 23:17
Quote: "If you can enable/disable gravity, that is a start."

If it is only dependant for the player to have gravity loss then you could use the water trick with (I believe)Rolfy's trick to turn water off and on.
BTW I like the new look; definitely a more polished feel to the game.

Disturbing13
Dev Forum Store
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2012 23:20
@Disturbing 13,

would the player be able to jump with this underwater trick? It sounds quite promising.

Have you played the new game?

Unfamillia

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2012 01:43
Quote: "If it is only dependant for the player to have gravity loss then you could use the water trick with (I believe)Rolfy's trick to turn water off and on."

Quote: "would the player be able to jump with this underwater trick? It sounds quite promising. "

I could add to Disturbing13's idea here. Bond did a post effect "underwater shader" here. You could trigger the effect like you are with others to give the "appearance" they are under water. This way the jump zones would still work.

Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2012 12:51 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2012 12:52
unfamillia thanks for this game. This is the best game in fpsc for a long time. I like it a lot and please work on this game.

I love it. If it is finished i will post it everywhere, because i not think this is just for the community and it could be a success like slender

Corno

you need a script? I need useful requests at the moment!
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=200918&b=23
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2012 22:02
@BlackFox

Maybe a zone that floods a room and you have to escape before you drown?! That could add some tension! I will definitely work on this!

@Corno

Thanks for the comments! Very kind words there! Glad you like it.

If you want to pass the game around, please feel free. I will be continuing production on this, so expect much more!

Unfamillia

dimoxinil
Years of Service
User Offline
Men, the demo has been a big surprise. The game system is funny, and the gamplay it´s very fluid. I believe that the graphics needs more work. I believe that it is the part that you need to work more.

Frankly I have problems with the level 3, I need more time. Aggg!!
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2012 13:39
Quote: "Men, the demo has been a big surprise"

I hope it was a good surprise!

Quote: "The game system is funny, and the gamplay it´s very fluid."

Thats what i was going for over graphics. I had the choice of fluid game play or fancy graphics and intensive lightmapping. As a hardcore gamer, i chose the gameplay.

I have been toying with the idea of actually adding lightmapping and using texture maps to give more definition and depth.

There is still a lot to do with this game and that might still be an addition.

When you say you need more time, have you not been able to complete the level? do you need me to add a little more time?

Is anyone else having issues with timing?

Unfamillia

dimoxinil
Years of Service
User Offline
it was a good surprise, sure!

Quote: "When you say you need more time, have you not been able to complete the level? do you need me to add a little more time? "

- the timing is well adjusted, I'm the problem.
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2012 13:24
Quote: "the timing is well adjusted, I'm the problem"

That made me chuckle!

I will be uploading some new levels soon. Just working on a few new scripts and trying out some new ideas for different zones.

Unfamillia

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2012 14:11
The new levels are taking a bit longer than first anticipated, as i am working on a model for the 3D competition. I am working on 3D model of Saurons helmet and maybe his mace.

But, have no fear, i will have the new levels uploaded soon.

Unfamillia

Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2012 22:00
Found some time to have a look at this and I'm very impressed with what you have done with this.
Its a Fun game to play and easy to get to grips with after reading the numerous hints on screen.

All the best of luck with this.
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2012 22:39 Edited at: 14th Nov 2012 22:40
Quote: "Its a Fun game to play"

Too much fun. I'm battling with my 4 year old over whose turn it is.

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2012 09:58
@Ross

Thanks for the positive comments. There will be a few things that you might not like about the game or things that you might change. If you have time, would you mind listing some constructive criticism?

@Blackfox

Quote: "I'm battling with my 4 year old over whose turn it is"

Glad to hear it has a play-a-bility factor. I was thinking of implementing a score at the end of each level to show you what time you completed the level in. This should enhance the re-play-a-bility factor. What's your thoughts on that?

Unfamillia

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2012 10:39
It's great, I totally love it. One thing that bothers me is the texts every few steps. The first level I understand, that's tutorial, but you could have fit all the other zones there too to show the player and then we could continue without interruptions. I wouldn't mind them every now and then in the future, but they just stop the gameplay for the whole time they're on the screen and explain too much. Why not leave something for the players to figure out on their own. Or have an option to put the hints off or something. I don't know about everyone else, but I don't like games that hold your hand through the game. Tutorial level is ok though.

Or maybe if you could have it as a sound, then it wouldn't force the player to stop every time it comes on.

And otherwise it's all fun. Only other negative is that you can't lift the box up really, so shooting it in the hoop is pretty much about luck and trial and error. And sometimes the box falls through the ground, but that's a problem with the engine and I don't know if it can be fixed (yet) at all.

But what you got here is great game, one of the more unique ones here!

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2012 13:32 Edited at: 15th Nov 2012 13:33
@Metal Devil

Thanks for the comments.

I did start to get annoyed with the instructions myself, but, i thought it was because i had played it through so many times!

I will condense them down to the first two levels. What are your thoughts about having a small amount of text as soon as the level starts? Before you move? That wouldn't be as annoying.

Quote: "so shooting it in the hoop is pretty much about luck and trial and error"

A small hint for this.....

Quote: "box falls through the ground"

I learnt this the hard way! I had to make the cube 'respawn if destroyed' and set the respawn limit to 99 (just to be safe!)

But, thanks for the comments, they all help towards me making a better game.

I will make the amendments to the tutorial text hints and put them all in the first two levels.

Unfamillia

Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2012 14:15
unfamillia

I'm afraid my troublesome PC will not let me play your game (or any other) for too long before crashing so I have no chance to see too much before this happens.
Because of this I do not think I have the right to give full C&C but What I have seen looks interesting and keeps you wanting to go back and have another try.
I think the shockwave gloves are are great idea and work very well.
Its also nice to see the plain and colourful textures throughout which is a refreshing break from the norm.

Keep up the good work and all the best of luck to you.
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2012 17:49
Quote: "What are your thoughts about having a small amount of text as soon as the level starts? Before you move? That wouldn't be as annoying."

That would be good to have the text right at the start. And about the basketball hoop thing, yeah I knew there had to be some kinda tactic to this thing I did get it there by throwing it a couple of times, it wasn't that bad, but good to know that there's a tactic to this thing also

Say, now that you have a slow down square, how about a speed up one? I can think of a couple of others too, but I don't know if they're possible in FPS Creator so... but still, I am awaiting for more playable material you have coming our way! Keep it up!

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2012 18:40
@Ross,

Glad to hear you liked it. Sorry to hear you couldn't play it all!

@Metal Devil

Quote: "good to know that there's a tactic to this thing"

I tried to keep the puzzles logical. I didn't want to leave the player completely stumped! haha.

A Speed Zone might be an idea. I will give it a go soon. (i am still spending my time on the 3D competition. But, as soon as i have something to submit, i will get back to working on new levels and new zones.)

If you have any ideas for zones - even if you think it wouldn't be possible in FPSC - just note them here; it might get my puzzle juices flowing!

I promise to have more playable levels for you soon. I already have two just sat there waiting.....but, i want to release them in blocks of 5, actually give people something to play.

Unfamillia

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2012 19:36
Quote: " it might get my puzzle juices flowing! "

Hmmm... how about a zone where some parts of the floor disappear for say every 5 seconds and reappear every 5 seconds. The key is that there is always some floors you can stand on, but as soon as the others appear, they disappear and so on.

Ummm... I got more before, but now I got nothing

Quote: "I promise to have more playable levels for you soon"

A dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2012 01:18
I just played the game and it's nothing I've played before.
The graphics and smoothness are outstanding! Very original.

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2012 09:44
@Metal Devil

I have tried the disappearing/reappearing floor, but, i couldn't get it to work.

I made a model the exact size of a floor segment, then wrote a script that changed the collision to off while changing the texture to the alt texture (transparent texture), but, for some reason, even when the floor segment was visible, the player still fell through?!?

I might try it again as this was something i really wanted to implement.

I love the image!

@A Dude

Thanks for the comment. Glad you liked it. As i have said to the other commenter's, i will have more for you to play soon. I have made some good head way on my model for the 3D competition. Here is my untextured entry - if you are interested?

Unfamillia

A dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2012 22:13
Any progress?

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2012 22:42
@A dude,

I have got two levels that are being worked on. But, I have been trying to get my website off the ground and have had a feew freelance design jobs on the go, so i haven't really been concentrating on this too much.

But, I have entered my submission to the 3D modelling competition, so, i can tick that off my list; i have finished the clients logo for them. So, nothing can hold me back from working on my game.

I hope to have another 5 levels up soon.

Unfamillia

Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey did you see my new try for your script? I also post a hud...
Game looks great and i am a big fan

Corno

you need a script? I need useful requests at the moment!
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=200918&b=23

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:25:16
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:25:16