Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Super Pipeline II redux - authorised remake WIP

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2012 22:57 Edited at: 20th Aug 2012 23:28
This is my first AppGameKit project, started some time ago.
A lot of work has gone into this so far I know it's the kiss of death to post WIPs, but this is actually quite close to finishing now, just level data and UI to do pretty much.

I put this up mainly to show the author of the original game back in 1985 or something where things were up to.

The characters are all 3D modelled and converted using spriteme (or the other one?) Anyway, some nice features and plays quite well.
I've tried some different interface methods for mobile, but still experimenting.
Virtual JS is not very usable and I have also implemented a swipe method.. still not happy with it though. I thought about a "drag to path" method, but it's becoming the most difficult part of this development - getting it playable on a mobile device!

Oh, here's a not very good video - how do people do video captures here - any suggestions?

[edit] add Screenshot

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2012 23:28
Looks like a weel done work so far

Wath formats are it for?

Android 2.3 Gingerbread , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz cpu , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz cpu
Android 4.0 Sandwich , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , cortex A8 1.2 cpu , 1 gb ram.
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2012 23:53
Android, iOS, PC mainly.
Works very well on PC keys, but still experimenting / thinking about different swipe / touch playability.

I haven't totally written off the joystick and it will probably be optional for the player.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2012 11:23
Great! - I really liked the C64 games, was always fascinated how the water fills the pipes.

I'm not 100% sold on the visuals though :/ - I just don't think they work for the game - there's too much detail and on a small mobile phone screen, or even a tablet screen the detail will be lost.
I think that it's worth considering moving the visual style into one extreme or the other - I mean, either make the visuals simpler and chunkier, more cartoonish, like worms...

- or -

Make the graphics pixelated, so the pipe might be only 8 pixels wide, maybe a bit like Super Crate Box...

Hope you understand what I mean. Personally I like pixelated games - when dealing with that sort of scale, a handful of particles can go a long way. You could have water gush out of the pipes for example, which might be tricky with higher resolution games - but with a pixelated game, a pixel particle effect can be really visceral, change colour depending on velocity and it'd look awesome I think.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2012 20:29
I hear what you're saying. I'm a big fan of pixelated graphics as well - but I didn't make the graphics in this game.
There is water gushing out the pipes (see the video) and a lot more which isn't shown.
The only device I've tested it on is a 10" or so android tablet so I'll have to check the smaller screened devices as well.

I'll see what things look like pixelated (I can sort that out even though I am no artist).

nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2012 18:52
it works fine on the smaller devices, however it was designed for tablet / ipad originally. the main issue was the control system which was originally a drag mode (now i must use a virtual jstick)

because all the characters are made as 3d models, they can be remade quite easily.
i like the idea of a conditional change for lower resolution devices

nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2012 22:57
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
The graphics look fantastic and the gameplay seems very smooth! I can tell a lot of time went into this, great job.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2012 12:31
Love love love !
This looks so super sweet right now

Be sure to credit using agk on this

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 08:43:59
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 08:43:59