Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK on Steam?

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2012 22:39
I don't know what it takes to be on Steam. Maybe it's possible already? These days Steam seems to be the nr 1 solution for indie games on PC. So, if AppGameKit doesn't already work with Steam, I really think it should be added. Tier 1 of course. Any thoughts?

erebusman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2012 23:21 Edited at: 21st Aug 2012 23:22
I've done a little research on steam as I really want to get on there also. Things I've gleaned from articles, blog posts by indie devs and other resources:

1: It is not easy to get on steam. Most indie dev submissions do not hear back of up to 3 months and then it's just a "no thank you"

2: The inde games that show up on steam have largely already proven to have some financial success before getting on steam

3: steam is a windows / Mac platform.. The build process for those platforms that already exists is probably acceptable to them other than say steam achievements integration

Hope that helps a little bit
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2012 23:34
If it is hard to get in, it means that it is more valuable to get in. There is a smaller selection of games and the customer knows that you have a quality game.

Don't they have some kind of DRM system as well?

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
erebusman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2012 05:41
Great link Dar13 I had not seen that program yet ...says coming in August and it's August now hm....
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2012 07:39
"end of August"

Sweet! I'm not ready to post there yet but seems like a good place to get some attention. A good start to making money on your game is to make people know about it.

Still need to know if an AppGameKit Tier 1 game can be released on Steam.

leo877
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2012 00:22
@ digital

Doesn't the AppGameKit make your game into exe. Isn't Intel APPup for PC games like Android/Apple is for apps game. This are just ideas that come to me. For me I am just focusing for Android right now then look into other services to sell/make some money from my app game.

I also look at the link DAR13 post and I read this
Quote: "What do I need in order to submit my game?

You'll need a valid and non-limited Steam account (yes, that means you'll need to own a game on Steam). Then, you'll need to fill out the submission form, including some information about you and your game. The submission will require:
•A square branding image (similar to a box cover) to represent your game in lists and search
•At least 1 video showing off your game or presenting your concept
•At least 4 screenshots or images
•A written description of the game along with tentative system requirements
"
look at the bold part.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2012 09:26
leo877:
That means you need to buy at least one game before you can submit your project to Greenlight. What I wonder about is whether you can just sell a current version AppGameKit game or if you need to add Steam functionality to your game. I think I will submit my game once I have come a bit further along with it. I remember reading an article saying that for unknown developers it is better to create public awareness early in the development process. If people find your game interesting this is a very cheap but also very effective marketing.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 10:37
Some interesting info on Steam: http://tl-dr.ca/?p=396

I especially like the part where Steam has 51% of the digital game distribution market for PC. So, if your market is PC then Steam is where you want to be.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 3rd Sep 2012 03:30
very interesting reading on here...

I found an article in the past regarding the achievements question was not easy to find, but it was something you needed to code into the EXE, I believe it was simply a call to the Steam file which would sit in the same folder...

hope that helps answer that question...

Also yeah aside from steam security frankly i keep hearing people saying they cracked it already but never see articles backing this up... but I suppose it is the nature of Computing that anything is crackable its just 1 and 0 anyway...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-01 04:16:51
Your offset time is: 2024-05-01 04:16:51