Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / agk and dbpro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

Question:

How difficult its to move a game from Dark Basic Professional in AppGameKit, and put on Internet web ??

Mihai
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2012 11:03
It depends on the game and how you've programmed it. I mean, AppGameKit is akin to DBPro, the command syntax is very similar, there are some formatting differences as well - arrays use square brackets for example. If your taking a sprite based DBPro game and transferring it into AppGameKit, then it wouldn't take long at all.

One annoying thing I discovered yesterday though, AppGameKit doesn't have byte access when dealing with files! - so if you have a complex level file format for example, you might have to change that, like use integers instead of bytes. Little things like that crop up, but really there is no need to procrastinate, better to just get stuck in and deal with issues as they come.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2012 11:37
You can't make AppGameKit games running in a web browser yet. If that's what you intend. An upcoming feature. As well as 3D.

Also, drawing sprites is slow in AGK.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2012 15:06
Since when is drawing sprites slow in AppGameKit? Did I miss a meeting?

I can draw literally hundreds of sprites without a noticeable slowdown...

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2012 15:51
Quote: "Since when is drawing sprites slow in AppGameKit? Did I miss a meeting?"

Well, you've been on holidays for a few days. In all seriousness, I have experienced a bit of 'jumping'/'jittering' when drawing sprites in AGK. I was able to fix this in DBP by using vsync however, this trait only seems to be on windows. The exact same code broadcasted to a mac machine will display everything running smoothly, without any jumping/jittering sprites. But this might be fixable with the new drawsprite/rendering commands. I'll have to experiment more when I find the time.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2012 16:03
Quote: " Since when is drawing sprites slow in AppGameKit? Did I miss a meeting? I can draw literally hundreds of sprites without a noticeable slowdown..."

Been that way since the start. That's why we didn't have a draw sprite command at first. However, if you draw all with the same image it's fast.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 11:25:36
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 11:25:36