Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / About to burst.....with excitement!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2012 19:28
Just picks up the Nexus 7 16GB.....(same ram as my iPAD) but with the addition of a micro sd slot....

Jelly Bean is slick, I get £15 free credit on google play, can develop for FREE, and also have a free movie on it (transformers!). All for £200....bargain. Thanks google and ASUS. When can I buy a google car?

Cannot wait to finish the agk to android video series and see how a 'real' app works.....the video is a must watch....it takes a while but once completed new projects are far far quicker,

I am so excited I may have do a little wee wee.

Will try a simple app test by tomorrow and let you know how it runs!

Constantly seeking!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2012 19:52
Nice, congratulations on your new baby, Daddy

Quote: "can develop for FREE"

what does this mean? Do you get a developer account?

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2012 20:15
Congratulations!

Your Nexus has a micro SD slot? Mine doesn't. Oh well, I guess that is the difference in the markets.

Have fun!

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
The Daddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2012 20:24
I told you I was bursting......no micro SD slot.....micro USB....duh!

That will teach me to actually 'read' rather than r....e....let's play.........

But still, v impressed....however...imagine this scenario....

New toy...a step closer to deployment....shout from the highest mountain 'cause your sooooo excited like a child at Xmas......only then do you realise....USB...not SLOT.....the amount of times I have made that mistake....DOH!

No really I do have a modicum of instupellect......

Constantly seeking!
The Daddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2012 20:40
Ok....so I have just paid £15.81 to sign up as a google developer...all accepted very quick process....

I can see my 64bit public key.....the downside is on my iPad I am unable to copy and paste...I can see me typing this key.....around 100 times before I get it correct.

Maybe it will be emailed to my gmail account....maybe not...watch this space.

Constantly seeking!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2012 21:27
Make sure to download the newest Android Tier2 template, if you plan to do any Tier2 work.

Paul put up a new one yesterday and I tested it today and everything that didn't work with respect to orientation/accelerometer now works.

I haven't signed up with Google, yet. Now that I have my almost completed game working in Windows, iOS and Android, I am excited to get published and will probably sign up with Google when I'm ready to publish.

The Nexus 7 is a very nice toy, ur, uh, hm... development device.

The GPS works nicely as well.

The Nexus has a similar feel as the iPad, with the tapered sides. I also like the rubberish back.

Have fun!

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
The Daddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2012 22:42
Yes I agree lady,

It is nicer to hold than the iPad, but just downloaded a hidden object game and on closer inspection the retina display has it hands down. Movies r cool though and as I type now on my nexus, just give the keyboard three dynamic words appear as I type. If I spell something wrong it gives three choices to "tap" to choose. this speeds up typing.

Nice. Voice recognition is great and like the way it verbally tells me the weather or time....fun.

Just so I did not look really stupid re my earlier post, I have managed to fit a micro SD card in the micro Usb port!
Hahahahaha really LOL.

Here I apologise to my family....I have new friend.....

I just need two attachments to my vesa monitor mount so I have can have the iPad one side and the nexus the other....any ideas really appreciated.

Constantly seeking!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2012 23:02
Funny thought: Is it possible to rig it up so you use the Nexus 7 as a keyboard and the iPad as a screen?

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Ancient Lady, there's an even newer android template now?
what's new in it?
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Ancient Lady, unlike Apple, you can sign up with google at the very last minute. your account will be validated in less than 1 hour.

As soon as you upload your app, it will come live after 10-60 minutes!
DennisW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 14:27
OK The daddy
That's it I have to jump on the band wagon and get one. Now see what you did. Have fun with your,s

Dennis

Ham and Eggs Breakfast
The Chicken was involved the Pig was Committed
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 15:09
I cant get them in sweden yet :/
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 15:12
Quote: "I cant get them in sweden yet :/ "

It is rather annoying! I think about having one almost daily. I have been wanting a tablet for quite some time but I've never been sure about which one to get. Since the Nexus 7 is cheap, runs vanilla Android and is well built I really want one. Even if I later buy a 10" tablet it still seems like a good buy.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 17:42
bjadams, yup an even newer Android T2 template. It has all the native orientation stuff that went into the T1 interpreter.

Now it is no longer necessary to do any sort of calibration on an Android device.

The Zoq2, can you have a friend in another country get one for you and reimburse them?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 17:58
@AL I think you can. Unfortunley I dont have any friends in other countries.

Quote: " Since the Nexus 7 is cheap, runs vanilla Android and is well built I really want one. Even if I later buy a 10" tablet it still seems like a good buy."
Same here, hopefully ASUS will keep there promise and release it in september...
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 21:25
Quote: "Same here, hopefully ASUS will keep there promise and release it in september"

Yeah.

BTW, I have an Asus Eee PC netbook and I am impressed by the build quality. Way better then my much newer Dell XPS laptop which feels very cheap in comparison. Kind of weird, it did cost 3 times as much.

The Daddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2012 20:17
The N7 is great kit and for the money, if it is your main or only tablet i personally think you cannot go far wrong.

My test apps (basic tests to date) are very smooth. Movies and music are great and it is easily held in one hand.

Jellybean is very good. It is responsive and it talks to you....yes...I press one key and say 'what time is it' and sure enough it actually says ' the time in London england is .......'. That is just sexy. If it cannot 'tell' you the answer it googles it! From one touch....great.

It is a wonderful tab and if I did not have the iPad to compare it to I would rate it as fantastic. But hey it is never fair to compare 10" with 7" but hey guys, that will be a recurring fear for the rest of our lives........oh..just me then DOH!

Really for the money it's magnificent and with £15 credit....and most apps (games) under one pound, and a free movie and a free book (already uploaded) you cannot grumble.

Oh and a dev licence shy of £16..... What more do you want?.....pardon, Samsung just lost a court battle with apple which puts android at risk?....,..I really do not think so....google has the power!

Constantly seeking!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2012 21:05 Edited at: 29th Aug 2012 21:05
The N7 is right up there, although I haven't tried one personally. I know all the TGC apps I'm working on are currently being tested on at least one N7.

There are still nagging issues with android but hopefully they'll get a little more consistency between devices eventually. The good thing is that the problems are being ironed out in AppGameKit for android as we go along.

I'd be very tempted if I could afford one! Maybe I can convince TGC that I need one for testing... (I wish)

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2012 12:06
I hope you are not working for free? It should be quite affordable if you are working full time.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2012 12:56
Quote: "I hope you are not working for free? It should be quite affordable if you are working full time."

Are you married, have children, a house, car? Having a wife and none of the other things is enough to make everything unaffordable

DennisW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2012 16:16 Edited at: 30th Aug 2012 16:21
@BatVink

I have all that but now I am retired and the wife and I are empty nester's life is good. Then it just got better I got my Nexus 7 yesterday.

You will spend more money on drink in a month then for the Nexus7. LOL

Dennis

Ham and Eggs Breakfast
The Chicken was involved the Pig was Committed
The Daddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2012 19:46
I have a Dutch wife (in the Netherlands now!) who wants...wait for it.....not a new pair of shoes but a shoe room....did you get that a shoe room and she is part way to filling it already for when we can afford it.

My N7 was a luxury item for developing on. I also need a Mac mini but I too have house, wife, kids and they come first so the mini has to wait.

My aim is to one day convert my loft and have my Commodore 64' my Amiga, my netbook, my desktop and a mac, along with some other retro kit to have a developers paradise.....those are then things dreams are made of.

Constantly seeking!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 11:54:25
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 11:54:25