Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Agk Player issue on Nexus 7

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2012 21:51 Edited at: 25th Aug 2012 22:56
Asks me to press on both orientations and then tells me it cannot write the data......aaarrrggggg

{Sorry AppGameKit Viewer}

Constantly seeking!
The Daddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2012 23:06
Failure to write calibration data.

Is this a write protection issue?

Constantly seeking!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 00:59
It might be a directory name issue.

But you are clearly using a much earlier version of the player. v107+ no longer make you go through the orientation thing on an Android.

First, the Viewer sucks for testing, you really want to use the Player.

Next, a brand new Android player that deals with some of the accelerometer issues I found has been uploaded to the 'Your Products' TGC download page. It is still labeled 'Android AppGameKit Player (beta)', but was just updated yesterday.

Download that and install it on your Nexus.

Paul fixed things up for us, see this for the full discussion: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=199685&b=41

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
The Daddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 12:18
Once again lady to the rescue......gold! Thanks Hun.

Constantly seeking!
The Daddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 16:30
So....is this correct?

I have installed the latest (beta) player and now I can run my installed App on android.....very nice....

However, are we saying that we need the AppGameKit Player as a separately installed app along with our own installed app to allow it to run...

In other words...the player is a form of app interpreter?

Or can the installed app run without the player

Or is the player bit compiled into as part of our app?

Confused!

Constantly seeking!
The Daddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 17:00
The little test ran once....then all I keep getting is the AppGameKit screen STANDBY - To exit a running app....10000007....

Why is my app not running, just the AppGameKit player?

Any ideas!

PS: have updated my google USB drivers.

Constantly seeking!
The Daddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 17:02
okay it runs from my PC. but I want to install it as a standalone package...i followed the video.....but no stand alone app???

Constantly seeking!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 17:56
First, the player is not needed to run your final version of a game. It is only for testing from the AppGameKit IDE.

Next, you don't run the Player on your device and then run from Eclipse (if I understand what you posted). The Player is not necessary at that stage. If you have everything set up correctly, and Eclipse recognizes your Nexus, your app will run directly and a copy will be left on your device to run whenever you want.

Next, did you remember to make a media directory under the assets directory in your Android project? That is where all your media and byte code file go.

Next, did you rename your <yourproj>.byc file to exactly 'bytecode.byc'?

Next, did you uncomment the correct line in the IDE/apps/interpreter/interpreter.cpp file in your Android setup before cleaning and compiling your App? It is line #255 in v1075 and v1076, after the "#ifdef IDE_ANDROID" line.

Since I can't get any of the Eclipse installations on my computers to recognize any of three different Android devices (and I have all the updated drivers), I do one of two things to install my apps. I either copy the <yourproj>.apk file from the <yourproj>/bin directory to the Downloads folder in the file manager that pops up when I connect my Android devices and then use the Android file manager (download the free one from the Google app store, it is great) to install the app. Or I put the file on my local web server and use a browser to download it.

The <yourproj>.apk file gets created when you tell Eclipse to run the app as an Android project. Make sure to refresh the project before running it (especially after any recompiles) and check the date of the file to make sure it has the right time.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
The Daddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 21:47
Emmmm very strange....

Seemed to work earlier. Just started playing with the n7 and run my test app.....I only get an AppGameKit screen.....I guess its the player....do not know why it worked earlier and not now....

And why when I run it I get an agk screen mystifies me.

Constantly seeking!
The Daddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 22:01
Did everything except for the media dir under assets. The video only mentions adding an assets folder...no mention of a media sub under that.... but still does not make sense of a)why it worked earlier and b) why now I see an AppGameKit screen......

Constantly seeking!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 22:07
The failure to mention the media directory under assets appears to exist in all guides and videos about Android setup.

I had been told that the video did mention it by the author (he appears to have been mistaken if you could not find a reference).

As of v107, all platforms expect to find a media directory as the default location for things.

I'm glad you got it to work.

I started working on my level editor for my game so that I can build all the levels before I try to publish it.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 22:31
The media directory is added to the downloadable version, not the YouTube one.

Auger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 22:49
The YouTube version does have the correction. If you look at the the video at the 1:02:10 mark you'll see some text at the top of the screen that says you'll need to install under /assets/media .

It's easy to miss if your not reading the text in the video.
The Daddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 23:18
Thanks guys.....will try tomorrow when the Alchohol is not a predominant feature....IMPORTANANT NOTICE: hey kids. Don't drink. And code....it is not only bad for your health but when you look back at your code......well it generally is either the work of genius or complete garbage.......there is NOTHING in between and the genius part is a rare occurrence.

Where is my bed and why is it when I 'ask' verbally neither my N7 or i3 can answer the question.......remember kids...technology is a tool.....ahhhhh....it is time for bed.

Constantly seeking!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2012 00:00
Drinking and coding is great (doing it now for the level editor)!

I've never had to redo any code done while under the influence.

And you can probably program the N7 to tell you, since it has the ability to process verbal input. Hmmm, maybe.

Many years ago, I had a laptop with voice recognition. I programmed it to say various things. The response to "That's not what I told you to do!" is "Yes you did, look at the code dummy.". One day one of my cats was staring at the screen and trying to catch the mouse and sneezed. My computer rebooted. I turned off the voice recognition code.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
I had the same problem initially by downloading the Player available on the market, which I subsequently noticed wasn't updated since May. (Does anyone know why TGC hasn't updated the apps in the stores yet, after such a long time since 1.07 was released?)

The beta APK works, however it crashes whenever I use the swap() command and I've encountered a number of other problems relating to sprites etc. on my Android. This makes me very reluctant to develop for Android with such inconsistencies.

Can someone with Android device(s) test the following code through the Beta player? Using the line with swap() crashes the Player on Android with: "Unknown Instruction 984" yet works fine on PC/iOS. If you comment out that line and uncomment the standard Sync(), it runs but still is very peculiar on Android. The sprite is drawn successfully at two locations when tested on PC/iOS, and the stats always show that it exists (e.g., with an ID of 10001). Yet the sprite is seemingly not available on Android and returns 0 for both ID and GetSpriteExists() after calling the manipulateSprite function, and only one instance of the sprite is ever drawn to the screen.

PC Screenshot

Android Screenshot

The Daddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2012 00:23
Those two sprites r the nicest sprites I have ever seen. What gfx tool chain did u use? A zx80 or a C pet?

Sorry being really silly...could not resist.

Constantly seeking!
The Daddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2012 00:31
You are drawing the same sprite at two different positions. As `A` sprite can only be in one place at a time you will only see one sprite. To display two sprites you need to create two sprites each with an independent position. Then u will see two beautifully designed sprites.......

Constantly seeking!
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2012 01:46
no daddy he is drawing the sprite
so its correct.
But dont know why its not displayed on android?
Have you tryed it with an image on the sprite?

Android 2.3 Gingerbread , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz cpu , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz cpu
Android 4.0 Sandwich , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , cortex A8 1.2 cpu , 1 gb ram.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2012 05:00
Quote: "Does anyone know why TGC hasn't updated the apps in the stores yet, after such a long time since 1.07 was released?"

Yup, we know this and it has been an outstanding issue. It is also why Paul has updated the ones in the TGC 'Your Products' download page. He apparently does not have control over what gets released to the Android Market. But he has been very helpful to us.

Quote: "Can someone with Android device(s) test the following code through the Beta player?"

I will try to test this tomorrow (Monday, US EST).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
The Daddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2012 16:43
just tried it on my nexus 7, but used sync().

Worked fine! saw both 'Dot' sprites clearly!

Constantly seeking!
The Daddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2012 16:45
oh by the way Lady, forgot the thanks yet again....seems uner the assets dir everything should be in a sub folder called 'media' as you pointed out.

I checked the video and this is not mentioned as far as I could see!

Constantly seeking!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2012 17:12
@The Daddy, you are more than welcome. Someone says that there is a difference between the live video and the downloaded one. One does mention the media directory and the other doesn't.

@xCept, I ran your test using the latest Android beta player and got the same error message.

Using my own built Player, it works fine. I've uploaded/attached the apk for my player.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester

Attachments

Login to view attachments
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks AL. I will try your build tonight. I attempted to build it myself but got errors, likely something with my eclipse config,
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2012 02:34 Edited at: 28th Aug 2012 02:34
Ok, Ancient Lady's build works fine. Weird, but thank you much!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2012 16:06
It might be that an older version was uploaded to the 'Your Products' page by mistake. Or I just misinterpreted the updated upload date on it to assume that it had been updated as was the tier 2 template. In which case, my bad.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 09:21:34
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 09:21:34