Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Does the trial actually allow an APK to compile???

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2012 02:18
Hi all. Sorry to ask what may be a silly question, but I've been working with DBPro for ages and am now trying to move into AGK. I;ve got the trial, found it very easy to convert code, and got a simple app up and running....but have no idea AT ALL how to actually get it to compile.

I've followed this guide [href]file:///C:/Program%20Files/The%20Game%20Creators/AGKTrial/IDE/Help/guides/25_android.htm[/href] but I have no such template, and as I understand it I can't download it unless I buy the product. I then found this guide http://www.appgamekit.com/documentation/guides/33_android.htm howver it mentions "Your 'interpreter_android' directory is located in the AppGameKit root folder at 'AGK\IDE\apps' and ensure at the very least you have the interpreter and interpreter_android folders in there" - actually, no they're not. That folder doesn't actually exist. Lol.

So, I've played around with cygwin for ages but not found any way to get my project to compile as I'm missing the .h file which I seem to need?

So essentially, what I have appears to be a trial that I can't actually confirm will work at any point for an actual release??? I'm quite sure I'm completely wrong, so any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Oh, I've installed everything I'm supposed to twice (can;t find the indigo site in the eclipse c++ add on either!), and named everything as I should - but without that template I seem to be stuck!!!
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2012 02:20
PS - I've no "interpreter_android" directory either - is this because it's just a trial??? Is this my problem? One guide says one thing, the other says another - you guys did a bang up job with DBPro - but this is just mince! Lol.
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2012 03:13
Quote: "So essentially, what I have appears to be a trial that I can't actually confirm will work at any point for an actual release???"

Think of it from this perspective though. If you could generate .apk files with the trial then no one would buy AGK. The trial lets you test out the language itself, not the portability part. Just from using the trial there is no way to completely be sure that it will work for your actual release and that's a risk you'll have to decide whether or not to take. However, there is a lot of evidence of people releasing their games for iOS, Android etc so hopefully that'll sway you in the right direction.

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2012 11:23
I did wonder if that was the thought behind it, but the trial said it was fully functional and I was starting to really think I was stupid trying to follow the instructions to get the apk to compile. If that's the case though then I've no issues paying for what I've seen so far, so thanks for confirming..... You've saved my sanity! Lol..
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2012 12:01
Hi friend, I started my "second life as a game programmer", after programming games wit TI99/4A and arcaic PCs in the eighties, with DarkBasicPro (after doing some games with Visual Basic and Java), see my web site http://darkbasicgames.altervista.org/
After having made 5 games and some support libraries for sprites (similar to some AppGameKit commands) and tiles, I reverted to AppGameKit in order to try to sell something in the mobile markets.
So I was in a position similar to yours. I found myself at perfect ease with AppGameKit, having had an experience wit DarkBasicPro, so I advice you to buy it strongly.
Consider that AppGameKit uses OpenGL libraries, more portable, and free from DirectX versioning issues that make sometimes a DBPro game to work on a given pc and not on anothers.
The trial let you play the app only on the PC where AppGameKit is installed, and of course you cannot create packages for Android, etc.I have 6 apps on Google Play (search for Texasoft Reloaded), and there are a lot of apps made with AppGameKit by other people (have a look at the gallery in www.appgamekit.com). So you should be convinced the AppGameKit works well and let you produce the apk files. I use only Tier-1, but Tier-2 should work well too.
Considering the it costs only 59$ (a real bargain), all doubts should be cleared.
@TGC: pls, for this advertisement, send me 1$.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2012 02:58
Well, I took the plunge and bought the software, just waiting for the authentication. Meanwhile, my project has advanced quite a bit already - programming in 2D is so easy compared to 3D, and the guys did a superb job of making some of DBPro almost copy and paste into this (I'm working on a cross platform project - windows editor and portable player) so I'm hopeful it will be smooth sailing once I get the full software.

Thanks guys for the feedback, I really was thinking I was loosing my mind! Lol.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2012 11:17
Well, my app is compiled and, after some tweaking, working perfectly on my phone. Big thanks guys, I almost never bothered with this but as always this is one of the best communities on the Web.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-01 13:28:23
Your offset time is: 2024-05-01 13:28:23