Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Android / Android overhead

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2012 01:23
I was chasing some performance down tonight on android and found that just doing nothing in a sync loop ate up to 5fps.

This means on my device (XOOM) my fps fluctuates regularly between 55 and 60 fps when there is literally nothing happening.

I have of course shut everything down that I can and using a monitor doesn't show any performance drop. The fluctuation between 55 and 60 seems to be constant - roughly ever 2 seconds...

Anyone have any ideas?

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2012 18:05
All apps have some sort of overhead to run on any device/platform. They monitor input devices (keyboards, mouse, touch screens, etc.) so that they know when to do things.

On platforms where only one app runs at a time (e.g. Android, iOS) they still do some stuff in the background to let the device know they exist and to check to see if they are alive.

If a constant fps is important, try going with 30 fps. You are going to find that some devices are going to perform faster or slower than others. So it might be best to play towards the lower end for consistency.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 10:13:48
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 10:13:48