Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Directx, making money, 3d models, and such

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I actually have a couple of questions and dont want to clutter with multiple posts so ill just ask in one thread

1.) what are the requirements for a DBP game to actually run on a computer? Like the Direct-x Redist package, and other nonsense of the sort.

2.) I currently own a copy of the DBP paid version, however i only have the free version installed on my computer. now i understand that you need a commercial license to profit from DBP which im assuming came with the paid version? but do i simply need to posses this or should i recompile all my games with the paid version?

3.) Is blender a decent program to use to create the 3d models for DBP? i ask this because the only format i know both DBP and blender support are .3ds . will the texture mapping of the files also show up in my DBP games?

Thanks in advance!
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2012 22:38
1) All DBP applications require an installation of DirectX 9.0c Aug 2007 or later.

2) You simply have to posses it. I recommend saving your money unless you're absolutely sure that you will release a game. Less than 3% of games made on this forum actually get finished.

3) YES it is totally a good modelling program. There is a custom DirectX exporter for it somewhere on these forums, you might want to check that out because 3DS files don't support animation as far as I know.

TheComet

"Why geeks like computers: unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes, fsck, fsck, fsck, umount, sleep." - Unknown
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2012 10:55
Blender is the best 3D-modelling freeware money can't buy. You need only go onto youtube to see that. But it's also got a steep learning curve. The interface can be intimidating as heck at first but it gets better with use. I started learning Blender on my own and ended up raging in about 20 minutes coz I couldn't just texture something. So I tried some tutorials and within five minutes I'd got it right. I'd prolly be doing more modelling right now if I'd had the patience to get through those tutorials. As for exporting, I believe blender does have a DX .x export option. DBPro, as Comet said, is not too good with 3DS. In fact DBP only works well with .x and .dbo format in my experience.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 17:25:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 17:25:54