Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / [dark dynamix] character movement issues

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2012 20:40
Hi I just purchased dark dynamix and so far its fantastic and has been relatively easy to implement. I'm however quite new to physics so I'm having a few problems setting things up.

I've created my own character controller using fallout's example and have setup a control method which uses linear velocity to move the character. I'm currently having issues with the controller "squeezing" other objects when the controller runs into them, for example a dynamic crate goes flying around when you squeeze it between yourself and the wall.

I know its not a problem with dark dynamix, If I understand it correctly its because the linear force is not slowed when colliding with an object thus forcing it away violently because its got no other place to go. I just can't figure out how to implement it.

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 8th Sep 2012 20:47
I think volume or Materials might help here... also MASS... erm yeah... I cannot help at present as I use Dark Physics

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2012 20:57
Wow is it really that simple, ha; thanks for that it seems to have worked. Just had to apply a mass and a sensible density to all interacting objects. Probably should have played around with mass and density a bit more O.o
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 8th Sep 2012 21:06
Yeah I have been playing with it lately and so thats how i figured it out

glad I could help

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2012 00:32 Edited at: 10th Sep 2012 00:33
I've had that same issue. Really small densities appear to make objects really unstable. A decent mass and non-stupid forces seem to fix a lot of behavioural issues.

Let me know if you come up with any cool ways to improve the character controller. I'll be returning to fine tune my implementation later on so any findings could be useful!

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2012 20:03
Will do, working on a few other things at the moment but once I get something good I will post the source. I've found for the moment setting low values seems to work fine, my objects have a density of 1.0 and a mass of 20.0 to 300.0

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 07:43:42
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 07:43:42