Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Click a.dbpro file to automatically load it , does not work on my new compter.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2012 20:08
Until I transferred all files to my new computer, I could click on a .dbpro file and it would load the appropriate .dba programme. Now it doesn't.
Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong please?
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2012 20:16
Right-click the .dbpro file->properties->open with...

Then select the IDE you're using and OK yourself out of all of the windows again.

If that doesn't work, try doing the above again, but this time have administrative rights.

TheComet

"Why geeks like computers: unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes, fsck, fsck, fsck, umount, sleep." - Unknown
jayell leedham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2012 13:12
Thanks for your patience.

A 6.78MB editor.exe (March 2003)works OK but the screen does not appear as the original, with the old computer. Clicking on the .dBPro file does bring up the .dba OK. And f5 works! Clicking .dba brings its code up, but f5 does not work, even after changing its association.
The compiler is dated June 2010.

I tried Codesurge, but it led to a "access violation".
I must be doing something wrong?
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2012 13:18
Does it try to compile or does it just do nothing? Is the compile button greyed out perhaps? If it's greyed out, then it is likely because the .dba has no associated project. Usually, upon initialization, the editor creates a temp project. When you load a plain source document, it would then use the temp dbpro settings (there's actually a file called Default.dbpro). Now obviously the error lies in the fact that opening a dba on it's own causes the editor to not create the temp project and add the newly loaded .dba file. Try opening the .dba file and then going to the "Solution Explorer". You may notice (like on my machine) that there is no source file. Now try adding the file you just opened. Compile button should go green. Cause = unknown. Solution = unknown. (These are just my deductions here, here of course). Luckily it doesn't bother me since I open everything from the editor anyway but I can see how it would be a big frustration to somebody using Explorer.

As for associations, you should prolly search and delete all .dba and .dbpro registry keys before doing what TheComet suggested in case of conflicts caused by the fact that Windows keeps file associations in HKCR, HKLM and, for Explorer, HKU/[etc]/Explorer/FileExts/ iirc.

Dunno how much use that info is since it doesn't provide a solution but it might be a start that might help someone else solve the problem.

jayell leedham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2012 10:44
Thanks TheComet and nonZero.
I've found the "perfect" solution. My "About" info when editing a .dba file says I am using Dark Basic Professional V 1.055. I can bring up a .dba file by double-clicking either the .dba file, or the .dbpro file.
This is useful as, when programming, I can save my current .dba file (say test.dba) via "save as...", as test1.dba
On my next session I can double-click the test1.dba file and say "yes" to the 2 confirm messages.
I can then continue programming. A new test1.dbpro file is created.
I suspect that I am not usind the latest IDE system, but 1.055 serves me well.
Why can I not try Codesurge? Where is Default.dbpro stored so I can look at it?
jayell
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2012 21:41 Edited at: 17th Sep 2012 21:41
Quote: "Where is Default.dbpro stored so I can look at it?"

[DBPRODir]\Editor\FrontEnd\

You can auto-include any dba function libraries you want but it only seems to work correctly with the old editor (ie the one that isn't Synergy).
Example:

Quote: "Why can I not try Codesurge"

Don't know? I had a very brief encounter with Codesurge and there wasn't anything that special about it. I'm not a fan of Synergy (the new default editor, aka "EditorNew.exe") either and still use the classic editor because what it lacks in looks it makes up for in stability and ease-of-use.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 09:10:59
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 09:10:59