Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / J2ME vs HTML5 vs AGK vs FreedomEngine vs PhoneGap

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2012 21:18 Edited at: 14th Sep 2012 11:39
A comparison from someone who has used all and has experience with their own published games. Meant for a small team or single person who wants a fast turn-around and big market with very little management.

J2ME
-Runs on everything but IOS, and older non-color handsets. This includes Android, pretty much all >1998 handsets even prepaid..
-Some handsets don't have TCP/IP, GPS, BT profiles
-All have canvas class and all midlets of midlet class
-simple classes and methods even on game-canvas level
-On canvas and game-canvas levels requires manual control handling and creation(like flash)
-Touch screen or more-compatible midlet-command UI options
*Bigger market with little-more production-time, still have to make IOS port

HTML5
-It's HTML 5 <canvas> and javascript..
-Android and Apple games in HTML5 are just in a web element based app
-Only supported under recent browser engines
-Runs on anything with a HTML5 browser except where tools block publishing for them.. Typical for BSD and Linux
*Excludes a lot of markets/platforms but very fast development, text editor and browser is best workflow. You simply make a web element app to present it.

AGK
-xcode, android, mobile lib based code generator built into eclipse IDE
-shares ~3 developers with FreedomEngine and a lot of other products
-Limits to newer platform versions without using any new features. Many recent devices still don't update to supported versions yet have all the APIs
*Excludes a lot of platforms/markets and platform-versions, but relatively fast production-times

FreedomEngine
-CGI interfaced xcode, android, HTML5, directx framework
-shares ~3 developers with AppGameKit and a lot of other products
*Excludes a lot of platforms/markets and platform-versions, but relatively fast production-times, more streamlined than AGK

PhoneGap
-CGI HTML 5 generator and app-wrapper
*Excludes a lot of platforms/markets and platform-versions, but relatively fast production-times. Documentation makes it look more complex, maybe to hide that it's a HTML/Jscript generator with epic marketing..
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Depends what kind of apps you want to do.

if you want to do productivity apps on ios + android + windowsphone, then html5 + phonegap are a very good option.
Greenster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2012 10:36 Edited at: 14th Sep 2012 10:37
logistically speaking, HTML5 and J2ME, where there is a transparent BASIC compiler using <canvas> and game-canvas, makes the most sense..

This covers literally every platform, including all currently excluded, with less than half the work and better power-management and acceleration implementations..
erebusman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2012 02:53
Nice breakdown... I would be interested in seeing which of those support or have debugging capabilities?

The only one I know of myself is AppGameKit T2?
Greenster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2012 20:28 Edited at: 16th Sep 2012 20:29
AGK has a syntax debugger, and the xcode, android sdk,, and compiler debuggers on T2.

J2ME and Jscript(HTML5 canvas) have syntax, real-time syntax, and runtime debuggers, decent ones out of the box with most browsers for HTML5. J2ME has remote debugging with JDK emulators I believe.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-01 12:28:44
Your offset time is: 2024-05-01 12:28:44