Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Showcase / [X9] The Briefcase (horror)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2012 23:15 Edited at: 25th Sep 2012 07:22

Developed by: Brandon Mattice (doopus) using stock 1.19

Description: You must search through a desolate warehouse to find "The Briefcase"; nothing is known of it's contents or why the warehouse workers suddenly disappeared, but someone - or something - doesn't want you to take it.

Download Link.

Special thanks to everybody on the forums who has uploaded free custom media (I've used too many things to keep track of everyone)... it was a tremendous help and all your contributions are of great benefit to the community!

Now, turn your lights off, put on some headphones and enjoy!

*This post will self-destruct in 10 seconds.*
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2012 23:55 Edited at: 24th Sep 2012 04:09
That was fun, little short, but you got my heart pumping towards the end.

Short review:

Graphics: 8/10
Overall the game looked good. I think adding a few shaders and a bit more damage overlays would have made this look better. Otherwise the warehouse layout felt good and I only had to backtrack twice.

Sound: 10/10
Perfect! All the sound used in the game was perfectly executed at the right moments. The ending really had me running for the door!

Gameplay: 7/10
The player speed was felt right. I think remapping the use key to 'E' would've made more sense then 'Enter'. Also having crouch toggled on/off would have made movement smoother. I think a small icon or similar would have helped when you picked up an item, so the player knows what he's carrying. Collision wise the only problems I ran into were the rampart stairs and the box with the key-card.

Story: 8/10
Not much story, but that's where this excels. You have one mission, get the briefcase. It's the atmosphere of the game that really makes it work in the end. Storytelling was done through sight and sound rather then words and dialogue. In the end it felt like a just read a short story.

Overall: 33/40
Great short game that makes the player feel like he needs to do the job quickly. Utilizing sound as the driving force, fear quickly mounts as you search your way through the warehouse for the briefcase, never knowing what your going to run into.

Good job!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
TG Design
Years of Service
User Offline
Would it be possible to upload a walkthrough video to youtube or somewhere so I can watch it?? Im really intrigued by this game due to the score Josh gave it, but can't play it because I own a mac lol
The Nerevar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2012 05:24
This game was great, very suspenseful, my heart was pounding after I picked up the briefcase!

I agree with everything that Josh said, the rating, everything!

Fulfilling the Nerevarine Prophecy, one trial at a time, because I... Am... The Nerevar!
doopus
Years of Service
User Offline
@Josh Mooney

Thanks for the thorough review, I appreciate that you took the time! I agree with you on the idea of the inventory icons, I'll have to implement that on future games. In regards to the collision with the stairs, I could not find a way to fix this. It may be an issue with Model Pack 3 itself, but I have not had time to research it.

@TG Design

I could, but it's not the same as someone playing it for the first time. As with most horror games, a reaction video would be better suited and more fun to watch, but I cannot do this myself...

@The Nerevar

Thanks for your kind thoughts!

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2012 16:54 Edited at: 24th Sep 2012 16:55
I played it and enjoyed it but I have a few criticism. I was able to hop on some items and then jump on the car to get out of the level. Also where you find that truck in the loading dock, you can peak around the wall to see the unfinished level. I should note there is a light but not light source for that part as well. These are pretty common flaws however and I've not barriered my map good enough before as well.

The game really got me going at the end and it was a nice mood you set to deliver the effect. I'd love to see what you can do with another project.

PC Specs: AMD X4 2.7Ghz, 8GB DDR3 RAM, Nvidia 9800GT, Win. 7 Pro 64 Bit
doopus
Years of Service
User Offline
ASTEK, thank you for your feedback. I've fixed the area, so it is no longer possible to escape the map. Also, regarding the loading dock, I tried to light it as if it were night time and the source was the moon. However, it does look too direct.

I've also included a readme file in the new download.

D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2012 19:47 Edited at: 24th Sep 2012 19:55
So another Slender Style game

I personally rate this game 9,5/10

Excellent work!

I think the environment could have used a little more detail plus correct illumination shader usage. That's the 0,5 points of my personal rating I substracted

Apart of that, although the game mechanism is pretty simple, it has to be said that you really succeed to create a deep and touching amtosphere!

MintMarkus
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't see any similarities with Slender... If chasing type games-style, you mean, that's more leant on Amnesia.

Either way, I enjoyed the game, although I didn't enjoy the post-effect, maybe you could add a small filmgrain shader, it would help the ambiance alot. I really liked the sounds, and I have to say I really enjoyed playing it.

SPOILER [Question for doopus]
doopus
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks. I was indeed very inspired from Amnesia, most notably how important the sound design was in creating a believable, unsettling atmosphere.

I definitely would have done more with the fullscreen shaders, but there was a noticable delay when activating them, so I just set a bleach bypass/vignette shader from the beginning and left it.

Regarding your question:

MintMarkus
Years of Service
User Offline
doopus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2012 07:21 Edited at: 25th Sep 2012 07:21

On another note, I have continued to update this game to fix/add features. However, due to the nature of the FPSC Showcase board, I will not update the download link - the game is what it is on this board. The game will be updated from my webpage, however. Thanks for your understanding, and happy gaming!

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2012 01:06
Great game! Very moody. The gloomy/minimalist look helped it though.

This may seem a bit like a spoiler but this game is a perfect example of how to use soundeffects as a central gameplay part and how to use little/nothing to create a feel of threat and danger.

You should play it if you like FPSC Games.

-Wolf

New game
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2012 02:30
I played it and it gave me a good sense of what fpscreator is made for I did get stuck though and did not finish it
,it dose seem that a minimal approach and good use if sound is what fpscreator needs to the design was grate considering the limitations seems like I could learn from this focus and simple design which works
I think I am trying too hard with my game with too much detail but sound was my focus anyways good job
I like your approach and get a finish product done which works

I am stuck though hope to finish it but I like it congrats

Joe (R.E.M)
sic1ne
Years of Service
User Offline
awsome game but really short im still not shure if i beat the game or not i dont wanna spoil anything!! may i ask you were you found your sound fx? im going to give you a short review

lighting and atmosphere 8/10 awsome lighting right up my alley

sounds 10/10 i really like your sounds it helped mold the game and give it that scary mood

gameplay 6/10 the gameplay wasnt bad at all but it was more of running around more than anything i would love to see a part 2? hint hint i feel like this game has potential

overall i really like the game i would love to see a part 2 with more action great work

doopus
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I found most of my sounds from www.freesound.org, but I did have to record some of my own. I am definitely considering a sequel!

TG Design
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, someone played your game and recorded it lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAU6zrCQK7w&lc
doopus
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, there are actually a few playthrough videos. Someone also made this article about it too!

http://www.indiegamemag.com/adventure-through-an-abanonded-warehouse-to-find-out-what-secrets-lay-inside-the-briefcase/#.UGT8P41lSAo

Makes me feel good inside.

michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2012 00:04
this is so funny by watching this video I realize I been loosing all this time. I get eaten at the end.lol great game doopus.

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2012 10:07
Quote: "this is so funny by watching this video I realize I been loosing all this time. I get eaten at the end.lol great game doopus.
"

Yeah, now I noticed it too

This is a great game doopus, I love how almost all the scares are done with sounds, and the visual scares are kept to a minimum. It creates a great mystery.

Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2012 17:36
I downloaded and started playing this game, and I have to say that the graphics are amazing. Everything was in the right place, and it felt like a real warehouse.

With that said...I didn't finish playing. While I know you probably used the default setting, nothing makes me stop playing a game faster than a slow-moving player. I hate having to hold in the arrow key for 3 minutes just to traverse 2 rooms. Yes - 3 minutes. And no, there was no lag when playing. My machine isn't the greatest, but I don't experience lag when gaming on it.

I know that everybody is looking for the right amount of scare factor, and I'm sure this game has it. But I hate not being able to move. Even when I was running (holding down Shift) I was moving too slow. I don't want to zip across the rooms without knowing what's there, but I don't want to move at a snail's pace either.

The only other criticism I have is not about your game in particular, but about all games currently here in general: Why the lack of lighting? Why does every room in every game I download have to be just about pitch black with only some things lit up? Again, I know people are going for the scare factor, but the thing that will get me to put down a game second fastest is lighting. I want to be able to move, and I want to be able to see.

Again, I'm sure this is a great game. It's just not my thing.

Priest of the Church of Joe Wood

In memory of Nanee. 9/1/1993 - 5/16/2009. Rest in Peace, little girl.
Skort
Years of Service
User Offline
Downloaded and did a play through. It was awesome, I love how the sound was the main factor in the drive of the game. The level design felt natural and the overall creepiness was believable. I actually would have liked to kept playing but overall I love how you incorporated the sound into the game. Great job!
AmazingGaming
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2012 02:03
@Leon Kennedy Ok well here is a trick to this.. goto the games .exe (how you run the game) and make a shortcut for your desktop then do the following..

1. Right Click and goto properties
2. Goto COMPATIBILITY
3. Under settings check the following - Disable Visual Themes, Display Desktop composistion
4. Click APPLY then OK
5. RUN THE GAME FROM THE SHORTCUT
6. It will run the game faster and keep in mind this works for any game on a PC also steam but there is a more complex way you must do that.
IF THIS DOES NOT HELP THEN CHECK OFF (run in 640x480 screen resolution)
That should help because the game for me walks fine for a normal horror you say its not laggy but who knows see if that will boost your walking speed this is wat i do for games that cant run great on my PC
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2012 02:52
@Leon Kennedy: Did you just plug your screen in when you bought it without properly adjusting it? There is not one really dark room in this game.

doopus
Years of Service
User Offline
@Leon Kennedy

I did in fact lower the player's speed. I thought it was just right, and the player felt more vulnerable, but I can see how you thought it was too slow. I also tried to find a good balance between too dark and too light, but perhaps it was a little on the too dark side.

I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy it, but I thank you for your criticisms! I listen to everybody's thoughts to try to make my games better.

brethren
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2012 18:20 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2012 19:14
I fired this one up, but once in-game, I was unable to move. Looking around via mouse worked fine, but none of the keyboard controls worked. Any ideas?

I tried through Desura and just downloading the package manually and got the same thing. Weird. My other FPSC games in the same folder seem to work fine.

Edit: A quick reboot of my PC did the trick. Sorry bout that!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:08:03
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:08:03