Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Multi-Language Character Set Support

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I look forward to the above function in the next version.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2012 16:36
If you create your own font files, you can have any characters you want assigned to the ascii values 0 to 255.

And you use the SetTextDefaultFontImage and SetTextDefaultExtendedFontImage to use the font image files. Or SetTextFontImage/SetTextExtendedFontImage for specific text objects.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Felis Astrum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2012 14:50
Hello, first post. *waves*

This is somewhat relevant to this topic; we have the SetEditBoxFontImage command, but as far as I know, no SetEditBoxExtendedFontImage or similar. Should it be a suggestion for the next update, or am I missing an existing feature that covers it?

I'm new. I bring cats for all.
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2012 15:59 Edited at: 27th Sep 2012 16:16
That's a very good question, Felis. Using windows, the edit boxes are directly editable, but with iOS and Android mobiles, getting input from edit boxes calls up the GetTextInput routine, which is limited to "characters in the ASCII range 32-126."

But to completely test, an extended font image is needed, and I don't have one handy. Do you have one we could test with?

EDIT:

Here's a test that seems to indicate the text box can display extended characters, at least with the default AppGameKit font.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2012 16:16
for non-latin alphabets and for non-alphabetical languages, 255 chars are not enough. You are required to use multi-bytes based charsets as UTF-x. Will UTF be supported in EditBox functions? Question for TGC...
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2012 21:15 Edited at: 27th Sep 2012 21:17
From my testing, if you have set a new default or default extended font image for all your text objects, the text box follows along with the new default and new default extended image.

As far as explicitly setting the extended font image for individual text boxes, I haven't tested that, but it does seem like TGC left that command out of AGK.

Felis Astrum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2012 08:13
Thanks, Rich. Yeah, I figured I may have to change the default font to make it work. I do have an extended font image which I've been using for general text, but I couldn't find any command to apply it specifically to edit boxes.

Quote: "with iOS and Android mobiles, getting input from edit boxes calls up the GetTextInput routine, which is limited to "characters in the ASCII range 32-126."
"

Do you mean that on those particular systems GetTextInput is limited to 32-126? I've used it for characters up to 255, but have only tried on Windows. If I need to find a workaround for the others that would be useful (and painful!) to know.

I'm new. I bring cats for all.
jlahtinen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2012 15:04
My SGS3 show's all åäö just using print command, but my rooted HTC Desire doesn't.
AgentSam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2012 16:15 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2012 08:46
Rich wrote:
Quote: "But to completely test, an extended font image is needed, and I don't have one handy. Do you have one we could test with?"

Rich, here's a fairly compact bitmap font which includes the full extended character set.

It's a fixed-width font, based on the Consolas font included with Windows 7.

The bitmap was created with a custom font utility, and modified in Photoshop (where I added the character outlines - which may or may not look good under all conditions. The font color is supposed to be set relatively bright.)

Cheers,
AgentSam

Attachments

AgentSam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2012 16:19 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2012 16:20
Preview image for the above post:

Attachments

Login to post a reply