Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [Tier2] AGKSplash.png displays on my iPad 2 but not my iPhone 5?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2012 07:03
Hello,

Using Ancient lady's recently updated Tier 2 iOS templates I updated my project and everything is working much better than it had been.

However I noticed the iPad 2 shows the AGKSplash.png file ; and the iPhone 5 does not?

Honestly I would prefer not to show it at all in prefer of the Default.png ... BUT on the iPad when i take it out there is a 2-3 second of absolute black screen before it starts drawing my app's main menu?

So questions:

1: How do I make it stop displaying the AGKSplash.png AND not have that black nothing delay.

2: Why does it behave differently between the two devices?
erebusman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2012 08:01
Update: Figured it out.

For those sizes/orientations that I provided ALL of the default.png's for it displays those rather than the AGKSplash.png.

For those devices where I did not supply ALL of the sizes andorientation types of default.png's it will show the AGKSplash.png (if present) all of the time after the default.png

So AKA the lack of one retina display image for portrait orientation on my iPad caused this to show up.

I assume something in the AppGameKit code also reacted to this in a way to make it happen as well.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2012 16:47
You can also do this in your app::Begin() method to display your own 'splash' quickly:

The slp_wait (float,misspelled) and spl_vis (bool) variables are either globals or members of the app class defined in template.h.

slp_wait is used to decide how long you want to force your splash screen to display.

In the app::Loop() method:

Something similar in Tier 1 is also doable.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
KILL that AGKsplash.png & the world will be a better place!!!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2012 00:33
As per my code snippets, you can certainly kill the AGKSplash file, but it helps to put something up while the app is loading.

And the core AppGameKit does look for the file. At least we don't get an annoying white screen, it is black instead, when you don't have the AGKSplash.png file (and in the correct place) and don't put your own file up.

This is my Tier 1 version, at the start:

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
erebusman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2012 05:36
Thanks for the tips guys (and gals)!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
What i meant is that AGKsplash should be removed from the core engine especially on ios where there is already default.png!!!!!!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2012 21:11
Yup, I totally agree with that.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 13:41:12
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 13:41:12