Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Teach Yourself Game Programming for HTML5, WebGL, Android, iPad, iPhone, Windows and Mac all in one go!

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2012 15:26 Edited at: 26th Sep 2012 15:36
Notice!

The ebook Teach Yourself Game Programming for HTML5, WebGL, Android, iPad, iPhone, Windows and Mac all in one go! Is now available to readers kindle all over the world.

Special offer

Book released at half price for the next two weeks until 10th October 2012

This ebook is part of the Kindle KDP Select program, US customers who have Amazon Prime can get the ebook free.

Cover Artwork

Links and prices

UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yourself-Programming-Android-Windows-ebook/dp/B009GJRH7K/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1348659451&sr=8-17

£1.53

USA

http://www.amazon.com/Yourself-Programming-Android-Windows-ebook/dp/B009GJRH7K/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1348660705&sr=8-30&keywords=teach+yourself+html5

$2.99

Italy

http://www.amazon.it/Yourself-Programming-Android-Windows-ebook/dp/B009GJRH7K/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1348660742&sr=8-7

€2.60

France

http://www.amazon.fr/Yourself-Programming-Android-Windows-ebook/dp/B009GJRH7K/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1348660811&sr=8-9

€2.60

Spain

http://www.amazon.es/Yourself-Programming-Android-Windows-ebook/dp/B009GJRH7K/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1348660850&sr=8-9

€2.60

India

http://www.amazon.com/Yourself-Programming-Android-Windows-ebook/dp/B009GJRH7K/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1348660705&sr=8-30&keywords=teach+yourself+html5

$1.77

Blurb

The world has so many programming languages, engines, SDK’s and tools when it comes to game making. They could give university degrees to those who know the differences between them all. For any new user without years of formal training and experience it’s virtually impossible to know where to start! To top it off, people often spend years training in languages and technologies that are virtually obsolete by the time you get your degree!
To make the nightmare even worse, you have to learn different languages and tools if you want to do something as simple as publish a game popular devices like iPad, Android, Windows, Mac or even host it in the cloud for facebook players! Covering all these platforms means losing valuable time recreating your game over and over again while your rivals create new market grabbing tiles around you.

If only there was a single easy to use language that allowed you to write your games once, then deploy them to all the most commonly used platforms. If only you didn’t have to spend hours learning which language does what, which SDK has which feature? If only you didn’t have to write the same game over and over and over until you finally covered all the different platforms and markets.

There is hope! Freedom-Engine does all that and more. It gives you the freedom to learn one single easy to learn language. It gives you the freedom to write games for PC, Mac, iOS, Android, and for the cloud all at the same time. There is no need to rewrite your work over and over again! It also gives you the freedom of the cloud, you don’t need to be tied to specific devices or hardware, and your games can run directly from your website without the need for flash!

Armed with this eBook and the very latest revolution in game creation technology you can start producing your very first game today.

What's in it?

The ebook includes three courses, two primers, and one final course demonstrating a working game in action. This book is ideal for users with zero Freedom Engine knowledge and limited programming experience. For a more detailed list of what's included please see the Table of contents.

Table of Contents

Introduction

Minimum System Requirements
What is The Space Fighter project?

Primer Course Core Commands

First things first
Creating a program
Hello World
REM
DO
PRINT()
Sync()
Keeping time
Updating the screen
Loop
Program indentations
Working with Identifiers
Legal names for identifiers
Using Identifiers to describe data
Mathematics
Legal mathematical operators
Logic and decision making
Loops
Do and Loop
For and Next
Repeat, Until
Getting Input from the Keyboard
Final code in full
Scan Code Cheat Sheet

Primer Course Working with graphics

Introduction
Setting up your Visual Environment
Keeping your program under control
Understanding your Canvas
Creating your sprites
Working with Images
Converting Images into sprites
Setting sprite data
Let’s Animate!
Getting sprite data
Getting the pointer

Final Course The Space Fighter Project

Introduction
Game Design
The Space Fighter Project
Section One: game settings and identifiers.
Section two: Setting up your environment.
Section three: Pre-game setup
Section four: Main game loop
Full source code
Final comments
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2012 18:34
Interesting. What about the forthcoming developments of FE on 3D etc>?

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2012 21:00
I've got to learn it myself first!
leo877
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2012 10:15
@Daniel

did you write this book because i found in error in it. the error is under section of repeat,until the first part code is correct but next one is not. it looks like you copy and paste the code but didn't change with the greater. it om tablet is say location 447 of 1761 32%..if that helps you were i found the error. i just start reading it so i don't know if there's more error. and yes i brought the book from reading the newsletters October.

Kenjar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2012 18:50 Edited at: 5th Oct 2012 18:51
Send the error to daniel@dcforeman.co.uk and I'll correct and upload a new version. This ebook can be updated any time by deleting your current copy from your kindle, and then downloading it again. I will be maintaining this ebook as freedom engine progresses which is one of the reasons I went with digital publishing over printed paper. So any errors anyone finds please let me know.
leo877
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2012 19:19
kenjar

okay i send an email to daniel but if you already did send him email about this then ooopppsss!!!! on my my part

if theres more error were can we tell you at, here on this post section.

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2012 19:30
Sorry used the wrong profile to post! Kenjar was an account I was using back in 2006 before I started working support. I'd just logged into download an old order and forgot to logout again.

I've had your e-mail please check your inbox for my reply.

If anyone else spots errors, if you can quote the sentence you have issues with or the line of code I can locate the issue that way. Many thanks.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2012 15:59
I think I would have gone for a cover which resembles angry birds or something rather than space invaders, did you consider this?

That said, I have not read the book so I am not well placed to make a judgement on this.

Hope sales go well, FE seems like a great tool for learning programming and a book seems like a sensible idea. This is what I would use to teach my kids programming if they were just a little older

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2012 21:55 Edited at: 8th Oct 2012 21:56
Thanks for your input. The example is a simple shooter game where the player has to hit the drone with missiles. The more you hit the higher your score. It's enough to teach people all the core concepts of the language, loops, logic, creating identifiers, dealing with symbolic variables, operators, image handling, sprite creation, sprite animation, how to create your own sprites using GIMP 2.8, collision detection, etc etc.

Because of this the image on the book loosely matches the graphics in the game. When I write a book using an angry birds clone, I'll probably use angry bird style graphics for the cover then.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2012 23:42
Of course, makes perfect sense

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2012 23:30
The price for this book has increased to $4.99 / £3.11 which I feel is a fair and affordable price.

So far I've sold just over 80 ebooks in just two weeks, thank you for your support everyone! The next ebook is will be arriving soon.
leo877
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2012 07:36
any news on the next book coming out
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2012 04:29
I bought the book and after reading just a few pages I've found numerous grammatical errors. Did you have someone edit the content?

Senior Developer - CBS Interactive Music Group
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2012 14:20 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2012 14:28
This book brought in less than £200 given the size of the community and the price of the book professional editing services were not possible. I can either charge £50 as Hands on AppGameKit BASIC does and get the work professionally edited and corrected, or I can present lower quality work for around £3.50 instead. Judging by the last two weeks sales, I can expect around £20 a month income if I am lucky after the initial spike.

In my experience asking for volunteers doesn't generate error free work either. So I can only ask people to accept the low price point and the quality that goes with it.

The next book is well underway, it is longer, more in-depth, with a far more advanced starting example covering everything from types, to particle emitters. This book will about about 300 kindle pages so more than twice the length of the previous, while not being so long that it will terrify novices.

I am hoping to get this book published by the 26th November.
tasmanian guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2012 11:16 Edited at: 24th Dec 2012 12:06
Having some issues with the source code, but a great starter.

Not a fan of the variable names and where is the commenting in your code...typical programmer

First of all the media files can't be found on the link provided.

There is no source code to download.

* note multiplyer and multiplier were both mentioned in the source code.

DBPro is the new Amos (I hope)
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2012 00:41
i bought this book using my wife's kindle and was wondering if there is any tricks to get this on my computer as a pdf or something. i installed the pc reader on my computer but i have to log into her account to use it....

no big deal, just asking

p.s. the book looks good so far

gamer, lover, filmmaker
JIMAC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2013 21:40
Looks good i will give it a shot

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 20:43:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 20:43:50