Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Help with DarkGDK and my current Project!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello everyone I'm new with DarkGDK and C++ language, I have been programming with Visual Basic for like 2 months and in C++ with DarkGDK like 3 weeks.
I need some help with some doubts that i have and with my current project.
First I'm a little confuse with the Sprites, i dont have a clue what sprites are exactly.
Second I want to know how i can make a map and upload it to my program in C++/DarkGDK.
Third I want to know how i can make 3D models like cars, characters, plants, monsters and all that a 3D game need, also i need to know how to put it in my program.
I will appreciate if someone can help me talking in another program/web like skype.
Thanks Everyone for helping me and sorry if my English is bad.
3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2012 05:53
Sprites are just pictures usually 32 by 32 pixels made with gimp or paint shop pro. A sprite can also have a power of 2 meaning that it can be 2 by 2, 4 by 4, 16 by 16 ext. It not really important with Dark GDK to have them exactly this way. It just saves memory if you compact them in this format. I would not worry about programming yet get your graphics done first, and maybe program later.
You can always sell your art if your good to TGC, but you first have to build a good portfolio. It is harder to sell code then art for game design. So start out using Gimp it is free and easy to use, and take some art classes to see if you like art. Actually you really don't need to be that good at art if you make a sprite sheet you probably can sell it cheep.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
Noslon
Years of Service
User Offline
oh ok thanks so i should start by making the art, models, pictures, and all that right, then the code. Right?
3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2012 17:46
The competition for art is intense also. You can look at current sprite sheets, and try to make something similar.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:20:50
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:20:50