Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Custom segment FPE where is the ceiling texture assigned

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2012 00:24
I am making a few custom segments with the entity maker. I can assign the wall and floor texture. The ceiling texture shows up the same as the wall texture. I have looked in the Segments FPE but can't find which line assigns the ceiling texture. Can you help?
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2012 00:28
As far as I'm aware from making custom segments myself, the floor texture is also the ceiling texture. To find out how to use a different texture for the ceiling, you might want to take a look at the .fps files of the seperate ceiling segments...

Troutflies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2012 00:35
When I create a room I get the ceiling the same as the wall. maybe I just have to use just the wall segment and not the room and just make a seperate ceiling segment.
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2012 01:02 Edited at: 16th Oct 2012 01:33
Quote: "I have looked in the Segments FPE but can't find which line assigns the ceiling texture."

Quote: "As far as I'm aware from making custom segments myself, the floor texture is also the ceiling texture."

Here is an example taken from my wife's (BlueFox) SciFi Segment Pack she made a while back. "Partmode0" (floor) and "partmode17" (ceiling) are the floor and ceiling.

scifi_room_001.fps

Here are the results (forgive the "Egyptian theme"):

1. Notice how the ceiling looks, and the floor- two different segment textures.

2. Here is a higher view. As you can see, the ceiling texture inside has the floor texture on the other side.

She uses Signs for making her rooms and that is what the result was for her. If Signs did not make the "partmode17" (ceiling) for her, then she added it manually so that her ceiling/floor used two different textures as shown above. In theory, you can take any segment room "fps" file and manually modify it to point to a different texture yielding the same results.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2012 14:24 Edited at: 16th Oct 2012 14:25
Thanks Blackfox, I've always just edited stock segment .fps files to make my custom segments (I don't like using 3rd party entity/segment creators, I much prefer manual editing, as I feel it gives me more control), so didn't know that partmode17 existed, let alone that it created a different ceiling!!

The fact that it only changes the internal texture, and not the external, I'm sure will prove to be extremely usefull in the future for creating my custom segments

Troutflies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2012 23:14
Ok black assuming you received my email. Adding Partmode 17 worked perfectly. Now my follow up question I would like to also add a railing to the segment that is actually part of the segment wall. In my head I am thinking I just add parts mode 18. Model and texture up a railing and make it part of the segment mesh.
I want the railing about waist high to the player along the wall.
Where do I edit the coordinates
I am guessing its in the offxyz is that correct? why are there two offxyz's?

Thanks again
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2012 01:47 Edited at: 19th Oct 2012 01:49
Quote: "Ok black assuming you received my email. Adding Partmode 17 worked perfectly. Now my follow up question I would like to also add a railing to the segment that is actually part of the segment wall. In my head I am thinking I just add parts mode 18. Model and texture up a railing and make it part of the segment mesh.
I want the railing about waist high to the player along the wall.
Where do I edit the coordinates
I am guessing its in the offxyz is that correct? why are there two offxyz's?"

I did get your email, but I was out today (took BlueFox to the big city). As far as the railing, look at the example fps I used above. Notice she has 4 textures only- floor (Scifi_room_001Flr.png), ceiling (Scifi_room_001Cel.png), interior wall (Scifi_room_001Int.png), and exterior wall (Scifi_room_001Ext.png). In a generic fps, there are parts for the interior top, mid, bottom; exterior top, mid, bottom, corner top, mid, bottom; floor/ceiling. BlueFox pointed all interior to her interior texture; all exterior to the exterior; corners (exterior) to exterior; corner (interior) to interior textures; floor to floor texture, and added the ceiling manually (unless Signs did it for her).

If she wanted to have a "railing" at a certain height, she can do two things. One is to "paint" (texture) a railing on her interior texture file. The other is to use Segment Editor and put a "physical" railing in her room. If you want a "physical" railing and don't understand the Segment Kit, the best person to ask is Dale (Cosmic Prophet). He knows that app inside-out in his sleep.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
Troutflies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2012 23:42
LoL @Blackfox,

Why is it that just when I think I have FPSC figured out, it takes a left?

In the swampyness of my mind I thought that you could simply add a partmode and an X file and Texture file. It seemed logical to me, maybe that's my problem.

Why do I get the feeling the term "big City" was typed with a dead pan tone?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-12 10:39:10
Your offset time is: 2024-05-12 10:39:10